IGNORED

Custom Golf Tags Member Review Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 1986 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is the design. Can't wait to see it made.

picture of CAD file- Bill Chao GolfTag.JPG

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sorry for the late reply on here, been busy making all these stencils

Here's a few more. ClubRat came up with an idea for having 2 stencils overlay each other to create a dual image. Hearts and golfers

2016-01-22 16.07.49.jpg

2016-01-22 16.04.08.jpg

Got some more photos of produced parts coming in a bit

Scott

I've enjoyed working with Scott as we discussed many details about 3-D printing last week. It did surprise me that these small items were very time consuming. He indicated each tag takes approximately four hours to make.

I'll be posting photos next week after I receive my tags. The two heart tags, I purchased for my wife. Hopefully, painting them will show greater detail and should be very quick as I plan to make her a dozen to play with. The end results should look more like this drawing when painted.

56a51a692bbe5_JulieC.png.9a990f9ef946551

Then she can detail the golfers with other colors. Also, the fill in the graphic in areas, like the missing arm on the male image, or close the hearts.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Looks great @scottyarcy! Can't wait to try it out.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Got mine in I want to say Friday. Not entirely sure since I've been sick all weekend along with a severe sinus headache that basically renders me into a useless puddle of meat and bones (so just slightly less productive than a normal weekend ;-)).

Here are my initial thoughts:

1. I had some concerns about the quality of the detail in my piece based on @scottyarcy's pictures and they were confirmed when I received it. The corners of the stars are just not as clean and sharp as I'd like them to be, probably had to do with the printing process.
  2. The plastic seems thin. I'm afraid I will break it at some point. I was testing its strength by squeezing it between my thumb and forefinger and I heard something crack. I've been handling it pretty gingerly since then, being careful not to bend it or squeeze it too much.
  3. The product has an unfinished feel about it. There is excess glue or polymer on the bottom of it and the edges around the sides are a little rough.
  4. It is really easy to use and fits perfectly around a golf ball. I have one of those line drawing stencils and they require a bit of force to put on the ball. This requires no effort at all.

20160131_203224.jpg

20160131_215231.jpg

Bill

My Swing Thread

Hi Bill

To address your concerns, yes unfortunately the 3D printing process can only make detail that is so precise. One of those things "it is what it is". One question though: did you use an ultrafine sharpie? This will give you the best results.

The strength should be fine. When I developed the product, I found that if I made it thicker (originally it was twice as thick), then you could not get the pen on the ball. By making it thinner, it made it possible to get the pen on the ball. The clear coat I put on the part gives it strength. I've had 2 in my bag just placed in a pocket for months and neither has broken.

I appreciate your feedback and will make improvements where possible (which is probably only the polymer, making sure I get it more evenly coated)

Scott

6 minutes ago, billchao said:

The corners of the stars are just not as clean and sharp as I'd like them to be

I had the same issue with my diamonds. I could get better detail with an ultra-fine pen at the points, but not very well with a new Sharpie. Also,with the stencil of the diamonds they are slightly different sizes (looks like the plastic has jagged edges in spots) deterring the pen to guide smoothly. I'll post a photo tomorrow. I do realize the dimples cause distortion and adverse effects when marking.

• Administrator

Mine have not arrived yet but I'm eager to see how they fare. They don't have too many "points" that matter.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

13 hours ago, scottyarcy said:

To address your concerns, yes unfortunately the 3D printing process can only make detail that is so precise. One of those things "it is what it is".

I had a feeling this was the case.

One question though: did you use an ultrafine sharpie? This will give you the best results.

Yes, and I made sure to carefully fill in all available spaces. The only thing I could think of possibly is to make the designs slightly bigger? But that still wouldn't solve the limitations of the 3D printing process.

The strength should be fine. When I developed the product, I found that if I made it thicker (originally it was twice as thick), then you could not get the pen on the ball. By making it thinner, it made it possible to get the pen on the ball. The clear coat I put on the part gives it strength. I've had 2 in my bag just placed in a pocket for months and neither has broken.

I'm glad you addressed this because this is my primary concern. Like I stated earlier, I heard it crack when I squeezed it so I was uncertain how it would fare in my golf bag.

The quality of the detail in my mind is a minor issue compared to the durability of the product because I can sharpen up the stencil (will get into it in a bit) but there's nothing I can do it it breaks.

I appreciate your feedback and will make improvements where possible (which is probably only the polymer, making sure I get it more evenly coated)

Yea there were two spots on the bottom that were just little globs of solid polymer. It didn't take much to file it down and make it smooth, as well as the rough edges I mentioned, and the precision of my stars.

I have a set of small fine files and it took me at most 30 minutes to clean it all up, stopping in between to take pictures. I was very pleased with the result once I finished it. I'll post them either here later when I am home or on my final review. @Club Rat this is probably something you can do to clean up your diamonds as well.

Thank you, Scott, for letting us review your product and responding as well. I'm glad you appreciate the feedback.

Bill

My Swing Thread

46 minutes ago, billchao said:

I have a set of small fine files and it took me at most 30 minutes to clean it all up,

I have files also and I've used Emory files. I just ordered a set of mini Diamond Burr Bits, a kit for my Dremel Tool which may be useful.

I'm hoping I can bevel the wall out of the image a tad for clearance to insert the ultra-fine pen.

I looked through the inside of the tag and think I'm seeing a slight buildup of the polymer in the points of the diamonds.

I have the same issue using the ultra-fine pen with the golfers. The image looks good, but needs just a slight more clearance. I have to take part of the blame, I've done tons of graphic reproductions in metal and engraving and know that what I see on screen is much different on application. I should have printed the images and inspected the graphics before submitting them to Scott.

Bill and John,

Thanks for the feedback. I will get some of these files as well so I can get the product sharper moving forward. For the sharp corners, making the image larger would definitely help. See this example of the number 23.

Erick

Attached is your 2nd tag. I contemplated just telling you that it couldn't be done, but I gave it my best effort and got this result. It definitely requires some artistic work after using it. Basically, to get the image like I did, I had to trace parts of the stencil but not all of it. So as seen, it is possible to make it but it is not easy and it is not something I would recommend trying to do on the first tee unless you have a long wait. 

I will ship your tags tomorrow.

Psalm 23.JPG

2016-02-01 15.37.15.jpg

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

@iacas Noticed @billchao posted a review.

I put this item on the back burner, wasn't sure if a review was still in order?

The product lacks many attributes and needs, before it could be beneficial to use.

If a review is still necessary, I will write mine.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a set of de-burring bits for my Dremel tool to aid in detailing and a little clean up of the tags.

It did a quick clean up of the path. The Heart tag looks much better, the fine point pen travels smoothly in the tag path.

I'll clean the other tags this week and post more photos.

I'll be writing me review later this week, here are a few photos of the "heart tag"

IMG_0056.thumb.JPG.494eb0245ebe007e6daafIMG_0059.thumb.JPG.efcbd29087f7b866bcb5dIMG_0060.thumb.JPG.d3918fcb70fdd4bf7746f

• 2 years later...

hey all, been a little while

I have a new 3D printer that makes these golttags with more precision than was possible before

I also have some new design. Ill attach 2 photos

one is a Tiger Woods TW logo tag

and the other is a dual tag to make the Deadpool logo

im currently selling these on my etsy site here: 

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CADdesignhelp?ref=seller-platform-mcnav

deadpool golftag 5.JPG

deadpool golftag 2.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

• 3 months later...
On 7/30/2018 at 10:47 AM, scottyarcy said:

hey all, been a little while

I have a new 3D printer that makes these golttags with more precision than was possible before

I also have some new design. Ill attach 2 photos

one is a Tiger Woods TW logo tag

and the other is a dual tag to make the Deadpool logo

im currently selling these on my etsy site here: 

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CADdesignhelp?ref=seller-platform-mcnav

deadpool golftag 5.JPG

deadpool golftag 2.JPG

That’s friggin awesome.  See you’re from Charlotte...I’m about an hour west just inside SC.

• iacas featured and unfeatured this topic
Note: This thread is 1986 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!