IGNORED

Line on Ball

iacas
Note: This thread is 5936 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What do you use to line up putts?

• A logo on the ball
    • A line I've drawn on it
    • A spot in front of the ball on the green
    • Nothing - I just hit it

• Administrator
I don't put a line on my ball, instead opting to use the "Titleist" logo. Becaus the titleist logo is thinner at the back end than at the front (capital T), this creates not a perfectly straight line but a little bit of a "V" shape, with the wider end towards the hole. After I set the ball down, I back behind it and look. I say "ooh, looks like I'm a bit left" and I'll use the top line of the word "Titleist," which adjust the line back to the right a little bit. Or vice versa, or "down the middle." Plus, there's never one true line - it all depends on speed, and the Titleist logo gives that little bit of "play."

I hope that makes sense.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another reason why I put a line on the ball is to help me achieve the seaming effect off the tee. A lot of people who use ProV1/V1x never capitalize on this bonus and cash in on the few extra yards. Some peole can claim it's bogus, but if it's good enough for Nicklaus it's good enough for me.

• Administrator
I never read about that. I typically position the ball so the logo is on the top right back quadrant (eighth, technically, I guess). Helps me come at the ball along the proper path if I think "hit the logo." That or I try to position the ball so I don't see much logo at all.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
BTW, here's the original Golf Digest link .

• 2 weeks later...
I used to line up the logo but towards the end of the season I changed my putting stroke and began lining up the ball on a line between my putter (held about 4 ~ 8 inches behind the ball after initial setup) and a spot 3 feet from the ball which is on the target line. In this way, I am actually simulating a 3 foot putt no matter how far I am away from the hole and I don't feel a need to line up the logo for a 3 footer. Like Phil, I practice 3 foot putts intensely. However, I haven't sunk 100 in a row yet. My best is 58.

Mike Jones

• 2 weeks later...
I sometimes draw a line but lately I just hit it and it goes in I think i might stick with that. haha
WITB
R7 TP 10.5* Fujikura SIX
R580 Fairway Fujikura Vista Pro 60
200 Steel 5 wood Fujikura Tour PLatform 27.3
Steelhead X-14 Pro series 52* Black Nickle Vokey 8* Bounce56* Black Nickle Vokey 10* Bounce Scotty Cameron Newport Beach 33"Pro V1 #8

I sometimes draw a line but lately I just hit it and it goes in I think i might stick with that. haha

lol!!

Good plan!

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Thanks I knew I was smart.
WITB
R7 TP 10.5* Fujikura SIX
R580 Fairway Fujikura Vista Pro 60
200 Steel 5 wood Fujikura Tour PLatform 27.3
Steelhead X-14 Pro series 52* Black Nickle Vokey 8* Bounce56* Black Nickle Vokey 10* Bounce Scotty Cameron Newport Beach 33"Pro V1 #8

• 9 months later...
I put my little marking on the ball (four green dots that make a diamond around the number on each size) than I use seem of the ball (that is what I have heard it to be named) which is the size with the ball type {ProV1, NXT Tour, Tour Precision}. Rather than drawing a line.
DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

• 6 months later...
I seam the ball as well, but don't necessarily use the line I draw on it to line up putts. I pick a spot in front of the ball and line up with that during my pre-putt routine. I then focus on the back of the ball when I'm putting and just stroke at it...

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Didn't I read somewhere thet Titliest changed the V and Vx so that there is no longer any seam?I thought that was only on the original ProV's.Jack did say it but it was a long time ago if my memory serves me well.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

It is my understanding that the seam on the ball is where the two hemispheres that are used to make the cover are joined together. Some balls have a seam and some are seamless. On Titleist balls, the seam is located where the ball type is printed ex. Pro v1 392, while the name Titleist is printed at the center of each of the hemispheres. Seaming the Pro v1 involves hitting the ball directly on the seam ex. teeing up the ball so that the word Titleist is facing the golfer and the the words Pro v1 392 is pointing towards the target. This supposedly gives a more boring trajectory and adds a few yards. Hope that helps.

Until recently, I was using a line on the ball, but I found myself concentrating too much on the ball instead of the target. I was missing at least half of my 3-6 footers. I actually felt more comfortable farther out.

So, I'm now generally turning up a blank area of the ball and concentrating on the line through the apex of the break and the spot that I want to roll it to (along the line) for distance. I look at the target to set up, check my alignment on the ball, look at the target, exhale as I look back to the ball, and putt. Between this and getting my putter fitted (finally), I'm putting much better. I have missed very few putts under 10 feet the last couple weeks and have been dropping more long ones, as well.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Note: This thread is 5936 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!