IGNORED

Chamblee: "When I see the things Rory's doing in the gym, I think of Tiger Woods"

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2842 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Most of this thread has been about nothing conclusive, just what is possible.

Which reminds me of my old AP Bio teacher who once said that any question which begins "Is it possible.." has an automatic answer of yes.  

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

23 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Here is a study done showing that weight lifting keeps athletes on the field and prevents injuries.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1997/10/971022155847.htm

It wasn't dramatic. There are pictures with his shirt off. He's not that ripped and he's not that huge. He's never been as big as the Chamblee's of the world want to make him out to be. People can put on a lot of muscle mass in 1-2 years with out any negative health effects. Especially if they get serious with their weight lifting.

All I could find is that strength training builds muscle mass, helps prevent joint related injuries, helps prevent back related injuries, helps in keeping an athlete from getting injured on the field, helps in long term health of the person.

Just do a Google search for benefits of weight lifting. There are a ton of sites showing the benefits. The only negatives is if you don't weight lift correctly.

Until we can get a detailed plan of what Tiger is actually doing when he works out then there is no proof that what he is doing actually caused him harm.

:whistle:

I am a retired cop and soldier. I have been playing golf since 92 and have lifted weights since the 80's.  I suffered a career ending injury from the military and then went on to be a cop. while working as a cop, I ignored my injuries from the military and after ten years, i woke up one morning and could not walk. (that was progressive).  During the time before becoming disabled I worked out everyday for 5 days a week.  I was also a personal trainer.  After eight surgeries I was told I would never walk again.  If it had not been for me always exercising, I would not be walking today.  I use very expensive knee braces from Germany to walk.  The point is, I can walk.  Fast forward to 2014.  I was on a ladder and fell fifteen feet and injured my shoulders.   No more golf.  Lost range of motion.  I could not put my hands behind my back.  I could no longer work out.  I was benching over 400 before the injury.  Now after natural healing and stretching, I have more flexibility in my arms and shoulders.  Working out has always enabled me to recover.  I played my first round of golf two weeks ago since 2013, and hit a 53 on the front nine and as muscle memory came back I hit a 38 on the back. A 91 overall.  That motivated me to get more core strength because I was sore for four days after that round.  Excercise will help in life in general.  I trained my nephew for six months. He was 410.  After six months I had him down to 192 lbs and he was able to enlist.  He followed my footsteps and went airborne as well.  If you have difficulty with exercising get over it and do it.

Your spinal cord can be injured by swinging your clubs and not properly stretching. So no one but tiger nows why and how it happened.  I believe surgery should be a last means.  

On 2/21/2016 at 8:35 AM, iacas said:

Not for nothing (or much of anything, either): I have it from a European Tour pro who has played with Rory recently that "he's not as long as you'd think."

Really?? Because watching on tv it seems like he murders the ball like like a fat kid murders cupcakes. Yesterday and today he was consistently out-driving Jason Day by a few yards and laughing at Speith's ball as it flew past.

Colin P.

7 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Really?? Because watching on tv it seems like he murders the ball like like a fat kid murders cupcakes. Yesterday and today he was consistently out-driving Jason Day by a few yards and laughing at Speith's ball as it flew past.

Rory's Club Head Speed
2016: 120 (ranked 18th)
2015: 119
2014: 121 (ranked 7th)
2013: 121 (ranked 6th)

He's a top 15 club head speed guy on the PGA Tour. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

17 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Rory's Club Head Speed
2016: 120 (ranked 18th)
2015: 119
2014: 121 (ranked 7th)
2013: 121 (ranked 6th)

He's a top 15 club head speed guy on the PGA Tour. 

Exactly. That's why I question the "he's not a long as you think" statement. He certainly seems to be very long. Carrying it 300 is no joke.

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

• Administrator
On March 4, 2016 at 11:51 AM, Big Lex said:

I think your situation is dramatic, too. I worked out for a year, about 4 times per week, when I was in my early 30s, and was only able to gain about 5-10 lbs of muscle.

If the weight gain isn't dramatic, the Men's Fitness article certainly does paint a picture of a very intensive workout regimen. They emphasize that he was more interested in high repetitions, which don't build as much muscle bulk as high resistance does. But he was working out....a LOT.

Working out when you're "in your early 30s" is different than when you're 20 or even 24.

On March 5, 2016 at 11:05 AM, colin007 said:

Exactly. That's why I question the "he's not a long as you think" statement. He certainly seems to be very long. Carrying it 300 is no joke.

Just passing along what the guy said.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think Tiger swang to hard most of his career if anything weightlifting gave him sturdier bones to support his swing and might have even lengthened his career. Take a player like couples who never lifted much had a fast swing and played a ton like tiger eventually things wear out. I wouldn't doubt tiger hit to many balls in his career.

• 4 months later...

From the guys who work with Rory. 

• Upvote 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

7 hours ago, saevel25 said:

From the guys who work with Rory. 

Interesting . .and I've never heard it put that way.  Still, my simple brain feels like it would be better to be strong and flexible vs bulky.  But Rory's not *huge*, really . . I would say he's 10% too bulky.  And this is based on no knowledge of any kind. 

46 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

Interesting . .and I've never heard it put that way.  Still, my simple brain feels like it would be better to be strong and flexible vs bulky.  But Rory's not *huge*, really . . I would say he's 10% too bulky.  And this is based on no knowledge of any kind. 

I wouldn't even classify him as 10% bulky. He's lean. So was Tiger. These guys are not gaining massive size here. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

6 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I wouldn't even classify him as 10% bulky. He's lean. So was Tiger. These guys are not gaining massive size here. 

I could agree there . .the 10% I see could easily just be those shirts he's wearing lately.  What's with those, anyway, lol.  That's definitely the worst side effect of working out.

I think medical science is best practiced by amateur golfers drinking a Miller Lite on their couch while watching the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational.

• Upvote 1

"Witty golf quote."

Note: This thread is 2842 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!