IGNORED

Chamblee: "When I see the things Rory's doing in the gym, I think of Tiger Woods"

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2831 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Only in the future can we tell how his body holds up, but imho, if his body does break down, it won't be because of his time in the gym. The swing alone has done a number on a few backs, regardless of how much or how little gym time.

but when I see the things he's doing in the gym, I think of what happened to Tiger Woods and I think more than anything as much as what Tiger Woods did early in his career with his game was just an example of how good a human being can be, what he did towards the middle and end of his career is an example to be wary of.  That's just my opinion.  And it does give me a little concern when I see the extensive weightlifting that Rory is doing in the gym."

Former Open winner and world No 1 David Duval sees no reason why McIlroy will not be ready for the Masters, especially as he's adding two events to his schedule and playing five of the next six weeks.

"So I think him playing beforehand a good stretch like that going in is a very good thing.  There's a lot ofthere's a big difference between hitting golf balls and getting ready and practicing compared to actually competing under the gun and having to put a pencil to it to find out where your short coming are at the time and that's exactly his approach this year.

http://www.irishgolfdesk.com/news-files/2016/2/16/chamblee-when-i-see-the-things-rorys-doing-in-the-gym-i-think-of-tiger-woods

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

First, again Chamblee is making it sound like Tiger Woods doomed himself by working out. The idea that he got bulky caused him to degrade his swing is just not factual. Tiger doomed himself by being injury prone. by not giving himself enough time to rest between procedures.

Maybe more so by constantly changing his swing. Golf is hard enough for these guys than to constantly change the swing and actually be dominant. I don't see or hear Rory talking about changing his swing. 

Chamblee is stuck on that Tiger ruined his game by getting bulky. He's wrong on a lot of things, this one of them. 

The major hold back for Rory will be his putter. He's just a streaky putter. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

18 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

The idea that he got bulky caused him to degrade his swing is just not factual. Tiger doomed himself by being injury prone. by not giving himself enough time to rest between procedures.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but how do you know what really caused Tiger's body to degrade?

IMO, and from what I've read, very heavy weights can accelerate joint and back problems in some. That, along with age, recurring injuries (which you mentioned), a predisposition to arthritis or other joint problems, repetitive stress, etc. could have all contributed to what happened to Tiger's body.

Edited by chspeed

2 minutes ago, chspeed said:

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but how do you know what really caused Tiger's body to degrade?

IMO, and from what I've read, very heavy weights can accelerate joint and back problems in some. That, along with age, recurring injuries (which you mentioned), a predisposition to arthritis or other joint problems, repetitive stress, etc. could have all contributed to what happened to Tiger's body.

Tiger had back and knee problems when he was young. He most likely started the training from advice from doctors, PTs and trainer to prevent injury. 

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

6 minutes ago, chspeed said:

Actually that is a myth of lifting heavy weights, 

It’s a common misconception that weightlifting puts a harmful load on the joints. But a study published the Journal of Rheumatology found when people suffering from knee joint pain performed weight bearing exercises, they experienced a 43 percent reduction in pain after four months. They were also better at performing daily tasks and reported a higher quality of life than those who didn’t strength train. Gary says this is because strength training can help grow strength in the structures around your joints, causing them to be better supported.

Here is one on the lower back, 

A study conducted by researchers at the University of Valencia found that the deadlift is an extremely effective way to train the paraspinal muscles, which run down both sides of your spine and play a major role in the prevention of back injuries.

Now does lifting poorly cause issues. Sure. So does slouching in your chair or shoveling snow the wrong way. Properly weight lifting improves overall health, joint strength and lower back strength. All the things Tiger Woods probably needed to maintain athletic form for how he wanted to perform on the course. 

There is just a laundry list of nagging Injuries Tiger had. I think most of them stem from either not resting enough, or like many athletes. Injuries just tend to run together. Someone pulls a hamstring and they then get back pain or an injury somewhere else. The pitcher from Miami hurt his back so he changed his delivery and then he throws out his elbow because he put more stress on his arm. Injuries can lead to other injuries. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

15 minutes ago, chspeed said:

11 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Tiger had back and knee problems when he was young. He most likely started the training from advice from doctors, PTs and trainer to prevent injury. 

And he got those early injuries from swinging like a maniac. In Tiger's early book "How I play Golf" He talked about how he would 'snap' his left knee on the downswing when he really wanted to smash one.

How many pros do you see doing this.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

7 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

There's no question that weight training can help prevent injury, etc. and I'm sure Tiger has the best trainers. But for a while, it definitely looked like he overdid it and was more focused on how he looked than on preventing injury. I have no idea if this contributed to his injuries.

1 minute ago, chspeed said:

There's no question that weight training can help prevent injury, etc. and I'm sure Tiger has the best trainers. But for a while, it definitely looked like he overdid it and was more focused on how he looked than on preventing injury. I have no idea if this contributed to his injuries.

Without those custom fit Nike shirts he would've never looked big.

alg-vanity-fair-tiger-woods-jpg.jpg

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, chspeed said:

No he didn't. He never looked large. I've seen him in person during that time. He didn't look huge. He looked like an in shape guy. 

The issue is you have a TV camera that also makes people look bigger then they are. Then you have people like Chamblee throwing around how huge he is when he isn't. 

It was a major misconception about Tiger. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I don't know about his comparison to Tiger, but on principle what he is saying is not all wrong. When you do a lot of heavy lifting, your muscles respond by enriching themselves with slow twitch fibers (stability and endurance). There is an optimum proportion of fast and slow twitch muscles to work in tandem (fast firing of fast twitch and supporting stability and endurance of slow twitch). 

So yeah, at some point the slow twitch density can start hindering speed of fast twitch firing which somebody like Chamblee equates to fluidity (again not necessarily wrong). Obviously that optimum combination ratio is different for different people and then there is also the age component.

• Upvote 1

Vishal S.

19 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Actually that is a myth of lifting heavy weights, 

Yes, I've looked at studies as well. I find it hard to analyze them in aggregate. Some look at average people, some at "elite" athletes, some have different definitions of "heavy" weights. Some do correlate weightlifting with various injuries.

Anyway, point taken. There's definitely a lot of studies that show that lifting weights, even heavy ones, is healthy.

10 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

No he didn't. He never looked large. I've seen him in person during that time. He didn't look huge. He looked like an in shape guy. 

Agreed that TV and tight shirts can make one look bigger. To me large is a relative term. He definitely looked a lot bigger than he was before! Then again, he was a pretty skinny guy when he first came out.

26 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

And he got those early injuries from swinging like a maniac. In Tiger's early book "How I play Golf" He talked about how he would 'snap' his left knee on the downswing when he really wanted to smash one.

How many pros do you see doing this.

I remember that swing. Insane.

McIlroy tweets back at Chamblee. Basically, yeah, I'm not listening to you.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Is that about 100 pounds plus the bar? (25+15+10) x 2 + bar?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, chspeed said:

Must be Kg.

I was thinking the same. He's working too hard for that to only be 145lbs.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, chspeed said:

Must be Kg.

That makes sense.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Maybe. Rory is ripped but he is tiny. He was about 5 feet from me at the 2014 BMW I felt like a giant standing next to him. Unfortunately I didn't feel small next to Kevin Stadler. TV makes everyone look bigger than they are. Even Phil looked like a rail in person.

Dave :-)

Note: This thread is 2831 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!