IGNORED

There Is No Such Thing as "Automatically Uncoiling" in the Golf Swing

iacas
Note: This thread is 2824 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Coiled_Wire_or_Machined_Springs_Making_tThis will be a quick one.

It's been said many times, by many people both educated in the golf swing and otherwise, that you can "coil up" in the backswing and then let yourself "unwind" into the downswing.

I want all of you reading this to try something right now.

1. Go to the top of your backswing.
  2. Go a little farther. Because… why not?
  3. The muscles that you feel holding yourself there, "coiled" up… relax them. Stop holding yourself there.
  4. Note what happens.

I'm willing to bet all I have that you don't "snap back" and "uncoil" rapidly into the golf ball. You're not a spring. You're not a rubber band.

Is a "big" and proper turn important? Absolutely! It gives you the time to build up rotational speed (speed you generate yourself from your muscles, not speed which is just a result of "unwinding" automatically). It lets your arms travel back so they have time and space to accelerate on the downswing.

But none of that comes automatically. None of that speed comes from "automatically unwinding" or "releasing the coil" or anything like that.

As with many things in golf, you don't get much "automatically." You have to make your muscles do what they need to do.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to There Is No Such Thing as "Automatically Uncoiling" in the Golf Swing

It probably another feel is not real things. If you feel tight at the top of the swing something's wrong anyway.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

3 minutes ago, Lihu said:

It probably another feel is not real things. If you feel tight at the top of the swing something's wrong anyway.

Yeah this is how I've always thought of it. You have to feel like you're loading your energy then you release it on the downswing.

But if the body did work like a spring/coil, the longer you held the faster you would swing right ;D

30 minutes ago, Lihu said:

I think it's more that people had no clue about the actual biomechanical movements of the golf swing. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1 minute ago, saevel25 said:

I think it's more that people had no clue about the actual biomechanical movements of the golf swing. 

True, and many people will argue based on what they feel against the science behind a good swing.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I agree with @saevel25 we're not rubber bands or springs but people think of muscle tissue and tendons as being similar but forget that it's the flexion of the muscle, not the coiling that generates the power.  There are a lot of golfers and instructors that still believe or at least describe the effect as coiling and uncoiling. 

Joe Paradiso

4 hours ago, saevel25 said:

4 hours ago, Lihu said:

It probably another feel is not real things.

Or... players and PGA instructors have been taking Hogan's Five Lessons a bit too literal since 1957. 

Jon

• 3 months later...

Reminds of something I saw when Tiger was in his prime. He stopped his downswing when his hands were about waist high when a camera went off! When I go from the top I am fully committed! There's no stopping it! Makes me wonder just how much control these pros have over their golf swings!

Edited by Buckeyebowman

• 3 weeks later...

This came up in a recent lesson for me.  I was coiling up into my back swing as much as I possibly could which was slightly bad for me.  Instead, I should "leave something in the tank", in the words of my teacher, so that when I change directions I can go even faster . . obviously by force, not "automatic uncoiling". 

Edit - "go even faster" is probably not quite what I mean . . ."apply even more force" is more like what I mean. 

Edited by Rainmaker

On 2/21/2016 at 4:12 PM, JonMA1 said:

Or... players and PGA instructors have been taking Hogan's Five Lessons a bit too literal since 1957. 

Obviously there's no rubber band like or spring-like material in the body (let alone electric generators).

I think what Hogan ultimately was describing as important for his swing was more of a sense for timing. A slight feeling of tension may have indicated to him that he had turned 'enough' and it was time to go.

There is, however, something called the Stretch-Shortening-Cycle that might indicate why the kinetic sequence separation (leading movement) of the lead hip relative to the trail shoulder seems to be important in the golf swing as well as with pitching and batting in baseball as well as several other sports with similar basic motions. If it wasn't a potential contributor, you'd think that a pitch type motion where the shoulders and hips are synchronized would work just fine for the driver.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

• Administrator

Beside the point, @natureboy.

I'm also well aware of the stretch-shorten cycle. :-D

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 11:08 PM, iacas said:

I want all of you reading this to try something right now.

1. Go to the top of your backswing.
  2. Go a little farther. Because… why not?
  3. The muscles that you feel holding yourself there, "coiled" up… relax them. Stop holding yourself there.
  4. Note what happens.

Well, thanks a lot.  I tried this at the range, and shot upwards like a slingshot, bouncing off the ceiling before flying outwards into the back fence, 250 yards away.

Embarrassing.

• Upvote 1

- John

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Hardspoon said:

Embarrassing.

Ha! I knew someone would fall for it!

On 6/30/2016 at 6:36 AM, BeemerK12S said:

250 yards is a great hit in my book :-)

Agree! After reading this I went to my local range and tried the same thing . .I got into my good, coiled up position.  Then I coiled up some more because . .why not?  Then I let it go and ended up 150 yards out and 50 yards to the right.  Probably because I was wearing flip-flops.

Edited by Rainmaker

Note: This thread is 2824 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!