IGNORED

Golfing With Strangers-The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

Gator Hazard
Note: This thread is 2563 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Most random people are pretty good partners. More than half my rounds are with random pairings.

No real stories. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 hours ago, Gator Hazard said:

Oops, just noticed that any time I mentioned Riggs above I meant Murtaugh, as Riggs was the short guy with the foul mouth.  

Dude, after that ridiculously long boring post - who cares?

• Upvote 2

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

2 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

My only issues is guys who are too serious and no fun. I once took a client out with my boss ( 3) so the course (River Walk) put in some random guy. He started correcting us on the rules, saying we were too slow,  and even corrected one of us on strokes taken "no that was 5 not 4"..

I learned my lesson. For business golf I just buy the 4 some even if it is just 2 or 3 of us.

That's only an issue if you weren't in fact playing slowly.

29 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

Dude, after that ridiculously long boring post - who cares?

You were the only one to say something. What was the need to be rude like that?

Colin P.

I've played with people I didn't know but my normal playing partners (brother-in-law and cousin) knew. None were bad, though my cousin's friends can be pretty dumb (one got the cart stuck in mud, which was fun to watch from a distance, in a cart separate from them).

Only once have I played with a total stranger. My cousin and I were playing and happened to have a solo dude catch us on the first hole, it was just a tad busy and we were a tad slow. We're both early-/mid-20s, and this guy was probably the same. He had a big mess of dreadlocks with a bandanna. He looked basically like the poster child for all legalization flyers. Not being one to care much, same for my cousin, we accepted his suggestion to play together.

Neither my cousin nor I are good by any real means (115-ish for both on 18). This guy was worse, noticeably. However, he also felt he was an expert. He kept trying to inform us of things we should do or how stuff works while making bad shots. Being bad doesn't mean being dumb or anything, but it is pretty annoying when you are telling people blatantly obvious and/or wrong stuff and playing like crap to boot. He wasn't a bad guy or anything, but my cousin forgot his wedge on the second hole, so we let him go on ahead after the third. Can't say I regret that decision because I'm not one who likes being talked at a bunch while I'm playing a shot (though others talking amongst themselves is fine).

5 hours ago, Gator Hazard said:

I have never seen a single female golfer either. The unicorns of golf. I wouldn't say NFM was a bad partner all in all, and language doesn't bother me really. He was just a little over the top with his. It was still fun. I love to watch and observe people and so almost all experiences are good. Hell, even that smarmy punk I wrote about playing with that almost got us kicked off the course wasn't that bad. Well, okay, maybe that one was.  He almost got us kicked off the course. I don't know if going out today or tomorrow so we will see what lies ahead. 

Only once have I played with a single female.  I was playing the first hole and noticed a single female walking behind me.  Not bad looking.  I waited and asked if she wanted to make a twosome.  She said yes and had a nice round.  It was many years ago so I don't remember a lot of it.

I once got put in a group of 3 female Jehovah Witnesses.  Their significant others were playing in the group ahead.  Seems they can't (or won't) mix with the women for religious reasons.  At least that's what they said.  One of them was very nice looking and fairly flirtatious.  She was married to one of the guys in the group ahead though.

4 hours ago, Gator Hazard said:

Nah, couldn't have been, he was a gentleman compared to you!  Okay two questions:. What does the French swear word mean and what does it mean to roll your ball in the fairway? He would have been horrified by what I call golf had he played with me. 

Zut Alohrs means roughly "Go to hell" or so I recall.  The French chef in Disney's "The Little Mermaid" uses that phrase in the song he sings.

To roll the ball (ie winter rules) means to move the ball from a lousy lie to a better lie when in the fairway.  Quite often, the turf on golf courses in the winter gets pretty nasty, so the idea is to not be punished by a crappy lie in the fairway because the fairway is crappy.  I really don't have a problem with declaring winter rules when playing if the course is in rough shape.  The pros play on perfectly manicured courses.  Why should we play tougher conditions than the pros do?  I can also see the point that everyone is playing the same course, so play it as it lies.  That's what I always do now since I don't play goat ranches normally.

• Upvote 1

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

There are consistent themes in golf partners that are irritating.

Some people like to bet and rub it in when they are playing well.

some want to give lessons on the course.

some cheat.

some are loud.

some are just a**holes.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, stealthhwk said:

Ever been paired with one of them? If so, what was your experience?

Never paired up with one of them. I have paired up with 40ish married couples which I found to be very friendly and enjoyable

Edited by 9wood

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 4:02 PM, Gator Hazard said:

#9 at Northdale, although I am sure not the hardest in the land is no gimme par 5.  You walk accross a bridge over a spring that winds out and around onto the right hand side of fairway.  It is 497 yards from the white tees, but there is a moat in front of the green where the spring wraps back around, its ten yards to carry the moat and you need to land it not too long.

:  

I figure, this would be a fun time to outdrive him again if I can.  I tee it up, and surprisingly smacked another screamer, you can't see it land because its in the blind area but you know its a goodie.  NFM of course has to take credit for my good drive saying he must be rubbing off on me or something.  We pull up and see that I not only outdrove him by about 25-30 yards but am in a better position.  I know I can't even dream of making it in two, so I decide to play my clutch club, the 5 Hybrid and get it up there to where I have a good shot with an 8 iron or less.  I don't know what happened, but I totally sliced it into the water all the way on right hand side.  Very frustrated and NFM says "well you had a good drive".  So, I drop a ball where I stand, relax, and smack it to about 140 yards from the middle of green.  Riggs is doing his usual hack job just like I usually do and NFM pulls an iron(odd, I thought this is a guy who has had eagle opportunities at this hole) to lay up.  He fats it about 30 yards.  Swears a storm, walks up, and fats it again, yes, you guessed it, more gratuitous swearing.  Finally he gets a hold of it and we are not sure but it looks like it went into the moat.  We drive up to my ball and I am 140 out on what for me is an intimidating hole and I say I just want to put it on the green in this guy's face,  I pull 8 iron, line up, steady myself, and let her rip, ball takes off, its high and tracking and I am just hoping it has enough oomph.  Pop it right onto the middle of the green!  Couldn't be happier with that shot, if only I didn't have to take a drop I would be putting for birdie.  NFM finally gets over and we putt out.  I put it in with three puts unfortunately but was still happy with the way I played that last hole.  We

Gator, dude, 497 - 140 = 357 yards.  You hit a screamer and a 5 hybrid 357 yards?  Not to nit pick, but you need to get some distance ! :-) 

I've played Northdale a few times and know the hole you talk about.  I'd never think of going for that in 2 either.  A moat is a good description for the water in front of that green.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Wife and I paired up with an older couple while on vacation in FL.  Nice couple. Enjoyed their company and playing along with the guy whose wife rode along, drank wine but didn't play.  My wife was only in her 2nd or 3rd season of playing and was uncomfortable around players in adjacent fairways, let along playing with others. The course was jammed up, so she relented.

One thing she's done from the start of her playing career is finish out each hole and count every stroke.  She marks and lines up 2 footers, goes through her routine and slams 'em in the back of the hole.

The guy we're playing with hits onto the green, lags one up somewhere near, (or NOT near) the hole and pulls it back (read: another gimme!) and is ready to move on.  He was polite, yet antsy on the greens waiting while my wife to 2- and 3-putted every green.  Still, he was anxiously patient with her.

We finished up the round and all was good until the guy tallies up his card and declares to shooting a 78!  My wife says to him, "how do you know what you shot when you didn't putt out most holes?"  Clearly a 'noob' question that the guy didn't know how to handle.  He just chuckled, smiled and wished us a fine rest of our vacation.

She had LOTS of questions on the way home after our round.

Honestly, I have nothing but good to say about being paired up with others.  I've done it at home, on vacation a bunch and can't remember every running into a single person who even remotely made a round less than enjoyable.  I truly believe that golf attracts better people than any other sport.

dave

• Upvote 1

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

35 minutes ago, dave s said:

truly believe that golf attracts better people than any other sport.

dave

From my own personal experience I would put fishing first and golf second

I've been paired up with some pretty cool folks except one time. I was paired up with a guy and his girlfriend. They were both in their 20's and I'm in my 50's. No big deal. His was the better golfer and she wasn't bad, but not as good. I couldn't care less. I just enjoy being out. She picked up her ball the first 2 holes without putting out. I was going to tell her to putt out and don't feel like she was slowing me down. I just let it go and then thought I was just keep it to myself. I always tell people how great a shot or putt they have and this time was no different. However, they never spoke a single word to me. They didn't even acknowledge that I was there. Of course, this got in my head and couldn't shake it. After the 13th hole I almost left the course. I decided to stay and finish since I did pay. I tried to keep positive, but it wasn't working. At the 18th he shook hands with me and said it was nice playing  It was the worst time I've ever had on the course.

3 hours ago, vangator said:

Zut Alohrs means roughly "Go to hell" or so I recall.  The French chef in Disney's "The Little Mermaid" uses that phrase in the song he sings.

"Zut alors" means roughly "shoot, then" (with shoot being used instead of the stronger word sh*t).  It's not really a swear word(s) and totally PG-13. It's also somewhat of a cliche, as it's not used much at all...:whistle:

Edited by sjduffers

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

2 hours ago, vangator said:

Gator, dude, 497 - 140 = 357 yards.  You hit a screamer and a 5 hybrid 357 yards?  Not to nit pick, but you need to get some distance ! :-) 

I've played Northdale a few times and know the hole you talk about.  I'd never think of going for that in 2 either.  A moat is a good description for the water in front of that green.

Everything is relative. My drives are probably 230ish. My drive also went a little left so it isn't as if it played 497 it played longer. My second shot was about 150 yards. I played it nice and easy and used that instead of 3h because I hit it better. 

I I told you, I'm a hack!!:-D

Edited by Gator Hazard

5 hours ago, vangator said:

I once got put in a group of 3 female Jehovah Witnesses.  Their significant others were playing in the group ahead.  Seems they can't (or won't) mix with the women for religious reasons.  At least that's what they said.  One of them was very nice looking and fairly flirtatious.  She was married to one of the guys in the group ahead though.

Not even remotely true.

Colin P.

2 hours ago, redsbux86 said:

I've been paired up with some pretty cool folks except one time. I was paired up with a guy and his girlfriend. They were both in their 20's and I'm in my 50's. No big deal. His was the better golfer and she wasn't bad, but not as good. I couldn't care less. I just enjoy being out. She picked up her ball the first 2 holes without putting out. I was going to tell her to putt out and don't feel like she was slowing me down. I just let it go and then thought I was just keep it to myself. I always tell people how great a shot or putt they have and this time was no different. However, they never spoke a single word to me. They didn't even acknowledge that I was there. Of course, this got in my head and couldn't shake it. After the 13th hole I almost left the course. I decided to stay and finish since I did pay. I tried to keep positive, but it wasn't working. At the 18th he shook hands with me and said it was nice playing  It was the worst time I've ever had on the course.

That's bullshit.I would have told them somewhere near the 4th hole to just play ahead.

• Upvote 1

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

I don't usually play alone or in situations where I'd get paired up but it did happen once last season.  I had invited my instructor and his business partner (also a PGA certified instructor) and a friend to my home course.  My friend had to cancel so the starter had a club member, who was alone, join us.  The instructors played from the black tees and I teed off from them middle tees.  The member that joined us claimed to be a great golfer and opted to play from the blacks as well.  

Turns out he wasn't a great player, actually wasn't even a good player.  He spent most of his time driving around looking for his ball in the woods and cursing, this happened on every non par 3 hole.  We were falling behind the group in front of us so at the 12th hole my instructor suggested to the member that since it seemed he was having an "off" day with his driver that maybe it would be better to play from the same tees as I was at least until we caught up with the group in front of us.  

The guy went ballistic and it got pretty awkward for a few minutes as he ranted on about his golf skills.  He knew he had made an ass of himself but insisted he was still playing from the blacks.  He walked up and teed off on 12, put his drive into the water and didn't say a word, just got in his cart and drove off. 

• Upvote 4

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 2563 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!