IGNORED

Golfing With Strangers-The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

Gator Hazard
Note: This thread is 2563 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

Not even remotely true.

I know it sounds strange d=but that's what they said.  I believe some strict religious sects like the Mennonites have similar arrangements with their women, so I took it at face value.  Maybe we have southern Jehovahs (like southern Baptists).

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

8 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

Dude, after that ridiculously long boring post - who cares?

Dude, you didn't need to read it, and didn't need to post the above.  What was the point?

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, rkim291968 said:

Dude, you didn't need to read it, and didn't need to post the above.  What was the point?

It was only after this I decided to get snarky:

Edited by gregsandiego
punctionation

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

5 hours ago, 9wood said:

From my own personal experience I would put fishing first and golf second

I don't fish, so I'll take you at your word.  Might START if I move to FL which is quite possible.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

1 hour ago, gregsandiego said:

It was only after this I decided to get snarky:

So when someone thinks that you have a good piece of information for a business golf outing you turn into an asshole?  Good to know. (And I understand this means points against me possibly but sometimes you have to address things or people for what they are.). 

1 hour ago, dave s said:

I don't fish, so I'll take you at your word.  Might START if I move to FL which is quite possible.

dave

I used to fish when I lived in NY, but quit when I moved to Florida.  I'm not a saltwater guy.  Only freshwater.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

5 hours ago, vangator said:

I used to fish when I lived in NY, but quit when I moved to Florida.  I'm not a saltwater guy.  Only freshwater.

I never though I could enjoy saltwater fishing until I did some sure casting down in Sanibel Island. It was quite relaxing and you never know what sort of creature you might catch. It's possible to even catch a large shark, not that I want to have to deal with that.

It's a strange thing. How do you say it? Sport fraternize? I like to play with people I know. It makes you ease up, they know your game. On the other hand, it doesn't bother me a nickel to play with complete strangers. I do like to get off the first tee with a hammer, but after that, fine with me. You have the change to interact with interesting people. People whom you might otherwise never meet. I think I can count on one hand that I played with someone who I'll never want to play with. Mostly they were cheaters in the most worse kind of way. I do not care if you want to steal a shot or alter you lie and than pretend that you are playing the round of your life. Who are you kidding. But don't insulte my intelligence on that matter. Might sound arrogant, but I hate it when that happens. Golf is fun to me.

Once I played with a famous soccer coach.  That was fun. When we started walking on hole 1, he starts spitting. It was like a river run wild. He spit for 18 holes and sounded like a lama. I didn't have the heart to tell him to swallow. If someone swears the whole time, I would say something about it eventually. 

Towards the end of last season I decided to go out alone,  since my golfing buddy couldnt make it . I always walk , playing nine  . At 65 . I am a pretty fast player , as my kids say  , I play "cardio golf."  Got hooked up with a threesome who were playing  with carts . The first thing one of them said was that they play ready golf , which was fine . What wasnt fine was that after they hit , they would zoom off to the next shot and start to hit , before I even got to my ball . By the 8th hole , I was almost running to keep up with them . It was no fun . Ive since vowed to NEVER play as the only guy in a foursome who's walking . I'll kindly defer and wait for a walking group i

11 hours ago, Gator Hazard said:

So when someone thinks that you have a good piece of information for a business golf outing you turn into an asshole?  Good to know. (And I understand this means points against me possibly but sometimes you have to address things or people for what they are.). 

GH I apologize. I misinterpreted your comment as sarcasm. I would delete my negative comment but I guess this forum doesn't allow that after so many hours.

Edited by gregsandiego
added info

7 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

GH I apologize. I misinterpreted your comment as sarcasm. I would delete my negative comment but I guess this forum doesn't allow that after so many hours.

I thought that was completely out of character for you given your other posts but understand, no sweat. I really thought that was a good piece of advice for anyone who does business on the course.  Thank you, Greg.

Probably heading out around 1 today so will be sure to post another overly long story for you sometime this week. Stay tuned. :-D

Just now, Gator Hazard said:

I thought that was completely out of character for you given your other posts but understand, no sweat. I really thought that was a good piece of advice for anyone who does business on the course.  Thank you, Greg.

Probably heading out around 1 today so will be sure to post another overly long story for you sometime this week. Stay tuned. :-D

Sure -  the story wasn't so  bad. I should have held back and asked you to clarify what you meant. I guess I'm used to other forums where people are mean. 

15 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

That's bullshit.I would have told them somewhere near the 4th hole to just play ahead.

I wish I could have, but the course was pretty busy that day. I did keep thinking it was going to get better. I remember hitting a shot and saying, "thank you", but they didn't say anything. Anyone else I've ever played with would have said, "nice shot". I did laugh to myself after I said it. I do know if I ever see them again, I would allow they to play without me.

1 hour ago, redsbux86 said:

I wish I could have, but the course was pretty busy that day. I did keep thinking it was going to get better. I remember hitting a shot and saying, "thank you", but they didn't say anything. Anyone else I've ever played with would have said, "nice shot". I did laugh to myself after I said it. I do know if I ever see them again, I would allow they to play without me.

Bizarro.  I've been teamed with couples that were mostly talking to each other, but nothing this weird....

7 hours ago, redsbux86 said:

I don't see it as that big of a deal. I was never a fan of the "nice shot" comment, too many people say it far too early during the flight of the ball anyway. That's the real nuisance IMO.

• Upvote 1

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I went out for 9 by myself yesterday afternoon.  Got behind a 3 some and another single caught up to me on 6 and we played in together.  This guy never stopped talking, even when we were driving away in separate carts.  He talked about everything, like we knew each other for ever, and kept on talking when he was swinging and putting.  Was saying he shot a 76 on Saturday but hurt his back and that's why he was playing so bad today.  Nice enough guy though, lol. 

18 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

I don't see it as that big of a deal. I was never a fan of the "nice shot" comment, too many people say it far too early during the flight of the ball anyway. That's the real nuisance IMO.

I think it's all relative. To some people a ball going in the air and not hooking or slicing is a nice shot.

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 2.0
3W:  Nike VRS Covert
3H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
4H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
5-AW:  Nike  VRS-X
SW:  Nike VRS Covert
LW:  Nike VRS X3X 60*
Putter:  Nike Method MC-3i

48 minutes ago, Psyber said:

I think it's all relative. To some people a ball going in the air and not hooking or slicing is a nice shot.

Of course, but the point is that nobody wants to hear it when the shot doesn't live up to their own definition of good.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Note: This thread is 2563 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!