IGNORED

Same length wedges or 1/4" increments? (and why?)

Note: This thread is 3089 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Wedge Lengths  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Are your wedges all the same length or do they vary by 1/4" or so?

• They're the same length
    • They're different lengths

@iacas we might need a poll for this.

This is not a for me question, this is just a general question for the community.

Are all of your wedges the same length, or are they 1/4" shorter as the lofts increase?

For example, if your PW is 35.75" are your GW, SW, LW all 35.75" or are they 35.5", 35.25", and 35" respectively. I've heard it from experts both ways. If you have the time, I'd like to hear it from normal golfers of the reason of your choice.

I'll start.

All my wedges are 36.25" (1/2" longer than standard  for PW and AW, 1" longer than standard with my 54° and 58°)... I've tried it both ways. When I was fit, we were toying with 1/8" increments, but I liked the feel of the same length, because I like my lofted wedges to feel a little heavier for a smooth transistion.

What's your story?

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Same length? I don't even have the same wedges :-P

I'm not sure that I would even notice 1/4" differences in my wedges. I play three different clubs from three different decades. Probably about time I got fit for new wedges.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 minutes ago, billchao said:

Same length? I don't even have the same wedges :-P

I'm not sure that I would even notice 1/4" differences in my wedges. I play three different clubs from three different decades. Probably about time I got fit for new wedges.

A little off topic, but may I ask which wedges? I'm on mobile and can't see signatures.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

26 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

A little off topic, but may I ask which wedges? I'm on mobile and can't see signatures.

My SW is a 56° Cleveland CG14, my LW is a 60-10 Titleist SM5, and my GW is a Wilson PW that came from somebody's grandfather's garage.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
3 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

@iacas we might need a poll for this.

I added one… but you can when you make the post, you know.

Mine are the same (I think).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My wedges are different lengths.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

My 50 is .5" shorter than PW the 54 is .25 shorter than that. My 58 is the same as the 54 but I am not using it ATM 54 is my most lofted wedge.

I don't notice a difference in length because it's rare for me to hit a full shot with wedge. My full 54 is about 105-115 anything inside that is a partial strategic shot that's less about precise distance than hitting specific areas of the green. Some shots require allowing for roll out others are spinners it just depends.

Dave :-)

• Administrator
3 hours ago, saevel25 said:

My wedges are different lengths.

Maybe mine are too then. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Maybe mine are too then. :-)

I am pretty sure mine go in 1/4" increments from the 52 to 60. 

At least that is what I have written down. I don't remember where I saved the exact specs of those clubs. I might have to take a look at the wedges when I get home to confirm this. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

LW and SW might be the same, but I'm positive the GW and PW each have an extra 1/4" over the next higher lofted club. 

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

I looked at the web sites and recent product brochures of several golf club manufacturers. Here are the stock shaft lengths of different models of wedges.

For most wedge models, stock length varies by 1/4" between different categories (Pitch, Gap, etc.).

WedgeShaft.jpg

Some exceptions:

• Cleveland has had 1/8" increments between categories since the CG15 wedges.
  • Minzuno and Tour Edge have the same length for all their wedges.
  • Some models have PW and GW the same length; this is common among iron-set wedges also.
  • Amateur star Bryson DeChambeau (made cut in Masters) has custom-made Edel irons with all shafts at 37.5" - including the wedges.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 3089 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!