IGNORED

Star Wars: Rogue One

davechen
Note: This thread is 2940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The trailer for Rogue One is up.  I've already watched it 5 times.  Does Rogue One get its own thread or is this one all encompassing Star Wars thread?

• Upvote 2

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, davechen said:

The trailer for Rogue One is up.  I've already watched it 5 times.  Does Rogue One get its own thread or is this one all encompassing Star Wars thread?

Its own thread sounds right. Wasn't too keen on this, but after seeing the trailer, wow. Loved Monsters and Godzilla (unlike many), should naturally like Rogue One, same director. The casting is excellent. Hannibal, King of Scotland, Ben Mendelsohn, Donnie Yen. Like the more serious, more intense tone too. Those Star Destroyers look like flies next to the Death Star.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

6 minutes ago, pumaAttack said:

Damn, they are casting some great female leads. Well done.

Jon Erso looks cool, but I am still Team Rey.  At least for now.

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

7 minutes ago, davechen said:

Jon Erso looks cool, but I am still Team Rey.  At least for now.

I just love that both movies so far are featuring woman roles.  Very cool.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

It's kind of weird that both movies are in the same universe, but Rogue One seems a lot darker. I hope there is some levity. Just enough soberness, like Empire Strikes Back.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Looks very cool.  I'll be watching it.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

This looks like something I will see in the theater atleast 4 times.

Of course I find it a little sad that we had to get the franchise out of Lucas's hands to get good Star Wars Movies again!

Who am I kidding, as long as they are good Star Wars movies, Lucas can take a hike (still a little bitter about prequels and Indiana Jones#4 !)

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

2 hours ago, Elmer said:

Of course I find it a little sad that we had to get the franchise out of Lucas's hands to get good Star Wars Movies again!

Who am I kidding, as long as they are good Star Wars movies, Lucas can take a hike (still a little bitter about prequels and Indiana Jones#4 !)

My Off-Topic reply :-P

Spoiler

New Hope: Good
Empires: Very Good
Return of the Jedi: Good

Episode 1: Bad
Episode 2: Mediocre
Episode 3: Good

Go watch Clone Wars the animated series. It's one of the best animated series I've seen. Lucas is a great story teller. I think he's had a few suspect key decisions. I am not keen on his directing skills. Besides that he's made some very solid movies as head of Lucas Arts. The guy's company has pioneered visual effects with Industrial Light and Magic. 

When you consider Episode 1 got 6.5 out of 10 on IMDB. That is probably still an above average movie with some of the garbage that can come out of Hollywood. 

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls000068177/,

Even Episode 3 cracks the top 100 of all time greatest sci-fi movies. He's created 4 top-100 sci-fi movies. Sorry, the guy is an amazing story teller who created a pulp culture genre.

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=sci_fi&num_votes=25000,&pf_rd_i=top&pf_rd_m=A2FGELUUNOQJNL&pf_rd_p=2406822102&pf_rd_r=1T8SARPTWPYTQNV8KWBG&pf_rd_s=right-6&pf_rd_t=15506&ref_=chttp_gnr_17&sort=user_rating,desc&start=51&title_type=feature

If he didn't create Episode 1 and brought in the younger crowd would Star Wars have ever become this mainstream pulp culture beast it is today? I could say Episode 1 spring boarded the sci-fi genre into modern pulp culture, and made Star Wars cool because it attracted kids. Episode 1 is the 21st most grossing movie of all time at 1 billion dollars (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/). That isn't including merchandise. 

If the movies were horrible then they wouldn't have sold that well. They wouldn't have become this popular. They wouldn't have resonated with kids and become this main stream pulp culture machine. 

You should be glad he made those movies. 

2 hours ago, Elmer said:

Who am I kidding, as long as they are good Star Wars movies

Yep :-D

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

15 hours ago, saevel25 said:

My Off-Topic reply :-P

Reveal hidden contents

New Hope: Good
Empires: Very Good
Return of the Jedi: Good

Episode 1: Bad
Episode 2: Mediocre
Episode 3: Good

Go watch Clone Wars the animated series. It's one of the best animated series I've seen. Lucas is a great story teller. I think he's had a few suspect key decisions. I am not keen on his directing skills. Besides that he's made some very solid movies as head of Lucas Arts. The guy's company has pioneered visual effects with Industrial Light and Magic. 

When you consider Episode 1 got 6.5 out of 10 on IMDB. That is probably still an above average movie with some of the garbage that can come out of Hollywood. 

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls000068177/,

Even Episode 3 cracks the top 100 of all time greatest sci-fi movies. He's created 4 top-100 sci-fi movies. Sorry, the guy is an amazing story teller who created a pulp culture genre.

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=sci_fi&num_votes=25000,&pf_rd_i=top&pf_rd_m=A2FGELUUNOQJNL&pf_rd_p=2406822102&pf_rd_r=1T8SARPTWPYTQNV8KWBG&pf_rd_s=right-6&pf_rd_t=15506&ref_=chttp_gnr_17&sort=user_rating,desc&start=51&title_type=feature

If he didn't create Episode 1 and brought in the younger crowd would Star Wars have ever become this mainstream pulp culture beast it is today? I could say Episode 1 spring boarded the sci-fi genre into modern pulp culture, and made Star Wars cool because it attracted kids. Episode 1 is the 21st most grossing movie of all time at 1 billion dollars (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/). That isn't including merchandise. 

If the movies were horrible then they wouldn't have sold that well. They wouldn't have become this popular. They wouldn't have resonated with kids and become this main stream pulp culture machine. 

You should be glad he made those movies. 

Yep :-D

I agree with you. While I am not a fan of SW 1 or 2, 3 was a very decent movie. I just thought there were serious casting choices for young Anakin. Older Anakin actor, Hayden did what he could with the material he had. However he was played as a winey, emo-brat in need of riddlin!

But I agree Clone Wars the Cartoon serious has been excellent.
I will say this for Lucas, his prequel movies and the clone wars series has made my children Star Wars Fans. Something that the original trilogy has not.

My kids were on cloud 9 watching the Rough One trailer early this morning!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

26 minutes ago, Elmer said:

Hayden did what he could with the material he had. However he was played as a winey, emo-brat in need of riddlin!

Spoiler

Kid who was basically was a slave, no dad, lost his mom. Has a massive fear of losing loved ones. I could see where that developed into a whiny personality in terms of when the movies took place.

You also have to realize that Anakin was winny with Obi-Wan. Who is considered a brother to him. Who are you going to complain to about the world than your own brother or close friend? So, in reality we are getting a first hand perspective into private issues Anakin had with the Jedi order. I am sure there are times when you complained about stuff to people who are close to you. I bet if we filmed it it, and looked at it, It might sound emo-ish without the proper context. I think there could have been better context for the movies in fleshing out Anakin's issues with the Jedi which spanned many years during the Clone Wars. 

During the Clone War series the Anakin character was deeply loyal, protective, and one of the best generals they had. He was massively protective of those who were close to him even though the Jedi Order told him to forgo those feelings. He routinely broke orders to save his padawan and Obi-Wan, and the group of clone troopers under his command during the Clone Wars. He never got any sort of recognition from the Jedi Order. Then you throw in that Palpatine played him like a violin, manipulating his feelings and emotions to harbor hatred towards the Jedi.

During the Clone Wars, Anakin's padawan was put on trial for murder she didn't' commit. The Jedi order did not stand by her for political reasons. In the end that hurt Anakin's trust in them greatly. I think it was pretty much Obi-Wan that kept him in the Jedi order for as long as he did. It took that final push from the Emperor to get Anakin to believe Obi-Wan was a betrayer as well.   

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

This movie is probably going to do better internationally w/respect box office than TFA. Especially in Asia. Although it's kind of a prequel, the plot is simple enough you don't need to know the Star Wars lore, it seems pretty much figure out how to blow up the Death Star.

One of the big appeals of Star Wars is epic f**ing light sabers and Jedi, so was less enthusiastic about Rogue One, but beginning to think the Star Wars universe, plus a good director, cast and writing can make this almost as good as the original.

Steve

8 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

This movie is probably going to do better internationally w/respect box office than TFA. Especially in Asia. Although it's kind of a prequel, the plot is simple enough you don't need to know the Star Wars lore, it seems pretty much figure out how to blow up the Death Star.

It's the story on how they got the plans to the death star. Also, to basically scout WTF this thing was. 

This might get a big amount of fan fare from the people who read the books. The Rogue Squadron book series was one of the most popular set of books in the Star Wars universe. 

8 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

One of the big appeals of Star Wars is epic f**ing light sabers and Jedi, so was less enthusiastic about Rogue One, but beginning to think the Star Wars universe, plus a good director, cast and writing can make this almost as good as the original.

Space battle fights are just as awesome and exciting as light saber battles. I think one of the biggest elements was the shear size in which Lucas made that opening panning sequence and the space battle fight scenes he had. They were just equally as impressive as the light saber battles. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

1 minute ago, saevel25 said:

It's the story on how they got the plans to the death star. Also, to basically scout WTF this thing was. 

This might get a big amount of fan fare from the people who read the books. The Rogue Squadron book series was one of the most popular set of books in the Star Wars universe. 

Space battle fights are just as awesome and exciting as light saber battles. I think one of the biggest elements was the shear size in which Lucas made that opening panning sequence and the space battle fight scenes he had. They were just equally as impressive as the light saber battles. 

:doh: I forgot about spaceships, yes, agreed. 

Steve

17 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

This movie is probably going to do better internationally w/respect box office than TFA. Especially in Asia.

TFA is the third highest grossing movie of all time. You think this is going to beat that? Or by "internationally" do you mean strictly overseas?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

20 minutes ago, jamo said:

TFA is the third highest grossing movie of all time. You think this is going to beat that? Or by "internationally" do you mean strictly overseas?

Strictly overseas. If you see the way they list it in Box Office Mojo, there's a line item for Domestic and one for International. TFA did respectably in China, but no home run, not even a triple if you ask me given the promotion - see stormtroopers on the Great Wall.

Plus TFA's release was delayed by a month in China, it opened in January due to the 12 (or whatever the number is) Hollywood movies a year limit - assuming RO doesn't make the opening day mistake, again. With Donnie Yen and Wen Jiang in the RO cast, more appeal to Asia and Asia alone might be able to pull international BO over TFA. Renminbe the force! :-D

Steve

Note: This thread is 2940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!