IGNORED

Bryson DeChambeau is now a professional...

krupa
Note: This thread is 2765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 5/19/2016 at 9:52 AM, iacas said:

I don't know the guy at all, but I think a helping of humble pie might go a long way and serve him better in the long run than if he were to earn a Tour card right away.

Send him to the Web.com Tour.

I just came here to say this is where I think he's headed.  Another missed cut. .I'd make a smart comment about "Revolutionizing the game" but at this point - it's time to stop piling on, lol.  I hope he sticks it out and comes back strong.    

23 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

I just came here to say this is where I think he's headed.  Another missed cut. .I'd make a smart comment about "Revolutionizing the game" but at this point - it's time to stop piling on, lol.  I hope he sticks it out and comes back strong.    

We've seen this many times. He just needs to focus on getting better. Some do and some are just journeymen. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Looks like Bryson is not going to earn his card.  I still question how he is able to control the distance with his scoring irons due to the shaft length.  I am a double digit handicapper, but I believe that all his irons having the same length shaft and setup are going to be a detriment.  I understand the theory, but disagree.

1 hour ago, Lastpick said:

Looks like Bryson is not going to earn his card.  I still question how he is able to control the distance with his scoring irons due to the shaft length.  I am a double digit handicapper, but I believe that all his irons having the same length shaft and setup are going to be a detriment.  I understand the theory, but disagree.

He had a very successful college and amateur career so he's found some way to make them work.  Most of the things I've read criticizing his single length clubs has to do with the problems they cause with pitching and chipping.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

2 hours ago, Lastpick said:

The kid's taking his lumps, but he still has a lot of sponsors' exemptions to burn through, so he's not quite in panic mode yet. If he can make another cut or two, he'll at least be eligible for the Web.com Tour Finals, and he can try to earn his card that way.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

So what is Bryson up to now? I haven't seen him in any tournaments lately

In the bag:
Driver: R9 Supertri
3W: R9
3i-PW: Mizuno Mp-68
Wedges: Taylormade Racs
Putter: PING Redwood blade

43 minutes ago, Mop Bucket said:

So what is Bryson up to now? I haven't seen him in any tournaments lately

Played last week in Dallas and this week at D&D......missed both cuts

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

20 minutes ago, BallStriker said:

Played last week in Dallas and this week at D&D......missed both cuts

I don't think that was a serious question.

Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

4 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

I don't think that was a serious question.

Roger.....sarcasm sometime hard to detect sometimes

• Upvote 1

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

4 minutes ago, BallStriker said:

Roger.....sarcasm sometime hard to detect sometimes

In any case, he'll have at least six starts between now and the end of the season: the Memorial next week, the Quicken Loans National, then four sponsor exemptions. He could still play his way into the U.S. Open via sectional qualifying, or the Open Championship via finishing in the top four among non-exempt players at one of the PGA or Euro Tour events designated as an Open qualifier.

If I was advising him, I'd tell him to take two weeks off if he doesn't make it into the U.S. Open field, then bank as many of his sponsor exemptions as he can until after the Open Championship, when the compressed schedule starts having an effect on the top players. In fact, he should probably try to get into the field at either the French or Scottish Open for a second attempt at Open qualifying rather than use one of his exemptions to play St. Jude (which would be his fourth tournament in four weeks) or Greenbrier (has only one qualifying slot instead of four).

His schedule from here on out should be: Memorial, U.S. Open (if he qualifies), Quicken Loans National, either the French or Scottish Open, the Open Championship (if he qualifies) or Barbasol Championship (if he doesn't), the Canadian Open, and two out of three between the Travelers Championship, John Deere Classic, and Wyndham Championship (or all three if he qualifies for the Open Champuonship). That's my opinion, at least.

• Upvote 1

The Capped One shot 5-under during his first two rounds at the Memorial, breaking his missed-cut streak with plenty of room to spare (currently T-32).

1 minute ago, Chilli Dipper said:

The Capped One shot 5-under during his first two rounds at the Memorial, breaking his missed-cut streak with plenty of room to spare (currently T-32).

Our search is over; the next Tiger Woods is here!

• Upvote 1

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

11 hours ago, krupa said:

Our search is over; the next Tiger Woods is here!

I thought that was Rory, Jason, Jordan?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

51 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I thought that was Rory, Jason, Jordan?

Pfft... Quit living in the past.

DeChambeau in fourth place at 8-under with four holes to play in the Columbus sectional of U.S. Open qualifying. As it stands, it looks like all players at -5 or better will qualify, so it's looking like Bryson will play in his first major as a professional at Oakmont.

(edited)

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/dechambeau-re-qualifies-us-open/

"You just got to do your best, and I’ve been doing my best,” he said. “I just haven’t been getting some good breaks."

Also, Mark Crossfield trying some single length, single lie irons:

It seems to me that people are making a really big deal out of single length irons because The Hat uses them, but it remains to be seen if he will actually succeed.   He certainly saw success as an amateur and had that nice T4 finish to start as a pro, but then he missed 4 cuts in a row and finished around 38th this past week.

Edited by krupa

• 2 weeks later...

There's nothing wrong with a little arrogance. It beats hearing the same canned responses that pro athletes always seem to give (especially when it comes to hockey). Plus, it's good to have someone to root against who isnt Bubba (for those that aren't a fan of this kid).

-Rich

I'm a BC fan.....more than anything i respect a guy that figures his own stuff out.....especially if it is a bit outside the box...does show some balls...BUT, i think he lacks a bit of self confidence....and it may be an issue because he certaily has the talent.....if I had to guess, I would say he has a career with a couple or three wins, but never a major..

Note: This thread is 2765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!