IGNORED

Bryson DeChambeau is now a professional...

krupa
Note: This thread is 2765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://www.pgatour.com/video/2016/04/12/bryson-dechambeau-talks-about-turning-professional-before-rbc-he.html#ooid=RhdnNyMjE64450Sl1nzApAcg-8cqL8NF

and an artist...

http://www.pgatour.com/video/2016/04/12/bryson-dechambeau-talks-about-being-artistic-before-rbc-heritage.html#ooid=9kNXRyMjE6mKkg3hd1V_VMj9M_FAtQIP

The video starts with him answering a question like "how do you respond to people who think you're too scientific with your swing?"

Maybe it's me but people who talk about how they're an artist just sound like pompous windbags. First rule of Artist Club: Never say "I am an artist"

• Upvote 2

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 minutes ago, krupa said:

Maybe it's me but people who talk about how they're an artist just sound like pompous windbags. First rule of Artist Club: Never say "I am an artist"

Could not agree with this more. He's a good golfer, I just wish he got asked fewer questions about his unique setup so that we hear less of this rubbish.

• Upvote 1

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

5 minutes ago, b101 said:

Could not agree with this more. He's a good golfer, I just wish he got asked fewer questions about his unique setup so that we hear less of this rubbish.

That will probably never happen.  Win, lose, or injury, there will always be someone who talks/writes about how his swing is responsible.

Bryson is a smart kid, he knows it's easy for a new golfer to get lost in the mix of the PGA Tour so he wants to stand out among the rest.  Horschel wears crazy clothes, Rickie is a moto-cross guy and wears cool clothes, Rory and Jordan stand out on their golf ability and Patrick Reed wore Tigers colors on Sunday.  

Bryson will stand out as the "scientist", or whatever moniker he chooses for his clubs and scientific approach to golf.  It's worked well for him, he received more air-time than many pro's and now that he's playing Cobra gear I'm sure he'll get even more attention this week.  

I'm not sure whether I like him or not, he's got a bit of arrogance to him that is sometimes impressive and others annoying.  He carries himself well, the question will be whether his golf swing and custom single length clubs can compete at a high level over the course of an entire PGA Tour season.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

8 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I'm not sure whether I like him or not, he's got a bit of arrogance to him that is sometimes impressive and others annoying.  He carries himself well, the question will be whether his golf swing and custom single length clubs can compete at a high level over the course of an entire PGA Tour season.  

Pretty much the same way I feel about him. I like his attitude and can handle the slight air of arrogance at this point but we'll see how things work out for him. I'm far from sold on his approach to the game- watching him swing (and especially chip) hurts my soul a bit- but for some reason I kind of like him.

I'm intrigued a bit but very much remains to be seen.  I was a little taken aback by some of what I perceived to be arrogance in his interviews during the first few days of The Masters . .but you can hardly blame him with the way the golf media is gushing over him. 

It's kind of funny . .under normal circumstances low amateur in The Masters would be amazing.  But with the hype around him and his performance on the first 2 days, T21 seems almost a let down.   

A lot going on that might or might not have directly to do with him - have to wait and see.

I gotta say, though - not a fan of the hat.  I mean, whatever, it's just a hat but I find it distracting and, well, maybe the kind of hat a self proclaimed "artist" might wear to play golf? 

And Cobra . . . .

Still - I'll definitely look forward to see how he does this year.  I'm a "golf ability" kind of guy.  I've never been a real fan of any player for any other reason.  I'm hopeful .. but realistic.  Hopefully Cobra (and everybody else) will tame the hype level down to match the on-course performance. He handled it really well but I do believe it hurt Rickie a bit at first.     

Edited by Rainmaker

4 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

I gotta say, though - not a fan of the hat.  I mean, whatever, it's just a hat but I find it distracting and, well, maybe the kind of hat a self proclaimed "artist" might wear to play golf? 

hate the hat.  I don't know why, I usually don't care much about people's lids but that one just makes me cringe.

Seriously, don't you just want to smack that cap right off his head...

160121-bryson-dechambeau.png

So his nickname on tour will be ... "The Mad Scientist"

Makes sense....

or "FrankenBryson"

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I predict that in two years time Bryce will be a star which means half this board will find reasons to hate him and mock him ala Jordan, Rory, Tiger, Phil and some of the other stars in the game.

• Upvote 2

(edited)
8 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

I predict that in two years time Bryce will be a star which means half this board will find reasons to hate him and mock him ala Jordan, Rory, Tiger, Phil and some of the other stars in the game.

I guess I'm hater #1. :-)

I've been pretty indifferent to golfers (even Bubba) since I started following the Tour.  This guy, though...

Edited by krupa

When you're being talked about it usually means people hate or envy you. This guy is going to make a boatload of money if he comes out blazing and wins on tour this year.

I think he will. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

I'm interested in seeing how he does as a professional.  He had a pretty danged successful year on tour as an amateur.  I can't seem to find it now, but I think they said he played 7 events or so and made the cut in all of them.  He finished it the 20s in both the Masters and at Bay Hill.  I also remember seeing him up on the leaderboard's during the Australian swing.

He looks better in a regular baseball hat.

Also, he grew up in my neck of the woods and was a member at the same club my brother and dad belong to (incidentally, Derek Ernst is as well) and that I play whenever I go to visit them.

2 hours ago, krupa said:

hate the hat.  I don't know why, I usually don't care much about people's lids but that one just makes me cringe.

Seriously, don't you just want to smack that cap right off his head...

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/04/cobra-puma-think-bryson-dechambeaus-old-school-hat-can-make-him-an-icon

Cobra Puma disagrees.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

33 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I'm interested in seeing how he does as a professional.  He had a pretty danged successful year on tour as an amateur.  I can't seem to find it now, but I think they said he played 7 events or so and made the cut in all of them.  He finished it the 20s in both the Masters and at Bay Hill.  I also remember seeing him up on the leaderboard's during the Australian swing.

His PGA Tour page has him as playing 2 events in 2016. He has 1 top 25 and two made cuts. In 2015 he played in 3 events, and made 1 cut. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

48 minutes ago, pumaAttack said:

I'm not impressed with their fashion decisions...

fowlerorange.jpg

8 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

His PGA Tour page has him as playing 2 events in 2016. He has 1 top 25 and two made cuts. In 2015 he played in 3 events, and made 1 cut. 

2 PGA tour events in 2016, but 7 events total worldwide throughout the fall and to the present and he made the cut in all of them.  Worth noting that in the other event that he didn't finish Top 25, he finished 27th. :-P

He was T2 at the Australian Masters, T30 at the Australian Open, T54 at Abu Dhabi, 67 at Qatar Masters, and T18 in Dubai.

So, since his Us Am victory last August, that is a pretty darned solid season for an Amateur.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!