IGNORED

50 States and 50 Capitals Golf Trip

spider
Note: This thread is 2121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Number 7 was Webb Park Golf Course in Baton Rouge, La on 4/24/16. I’ve been relaxing at my daughters house in new Orleans since I left Memphis and played in Jackson. I drove from NOLA to bat Rouge and played early. The course was not busy and I played alone. I shot 50 on the front and 49 on the back, total 99. I was able to incorporate the lag in my swing, which allowed me to hit some solid shots. The chipping was better also, but I three putt most holes. It felt good to play after a few days rest, and feeling the heat from the sun, because my daughter keeps her house as cold as a freezer. I drove back to NOLA and went to the City Park Driving Range and worked on a few things. I’ll rest on Monday and drive to Tallahassee, Florida to play on Tuesday.

Glenn Smith's photo.

• Upvote 1

Headed home. Things have come up, so I'm altering my 50/50 plans. My left shoulder is tender from playing, practicing, and driving. I'll continue my 50/50 trip under my pre-retirement plan, which is clusters of three states, some driving and some flying. I'm enjoying playing golf again and I don't want another rotator cuff injury. I'll continue the 50/50 on the west coast this summer, 2016.

1 hour ago, spider said:

Headed home. Things have come up, so I'm altering my 50/50 plans. My left shoulder is tender from playing, practicing, and driving. I'll continue my 50/50 trip under my pre-retirement plan, which is clusters of three states, some driving and some flying. I'm enjoying playing golf again and I don't want another rotator cuff injury. I'll continue the 50/50 on the west coast this summer, 2016.

Best of luck. Take care of the RC.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good luck to you! Driving (a car) gets tougher on my body as I get older, and it's hard to stay limber and loose after anything longer than just a few hours.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

On 4/21/2016 at 4:37 PM, spider said:

Wingpointe and Quail Hollow, and Green Valley Ranch in Denver.

Green Valley Ranch is technically in Denver but it is NOWHERE near the capital or city.  I would recommend City Park as well.  Much better views and is actually in the city.   GVR may be a better course, I haven't played it, but it hardly fits the goal of your trip.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Home Sweet Home.
I left New Orleans Wednesday morning and about 30 hours later arrived home. I went thru a thunder storm in west Louisiana, where, when I walked into a store, the sky was light, when I walked out the sky was dark and down came the rain. I almost ran out of gas in Texas because I didn’t want to put Velero gas in my car. Never pass a gas station in Texas when you need gas because you never know how far the next one is. Anyway, I’m home. The next Capital will be Sacramento in May.

Glenn Smith's photo.
Love
Haha
Wow
Sad
Angry

CommentShare
Comments

Glenn Smith
Write a comment...

51 minutes ago, spider said:

Never pass a gas station in Texas when you need gas because you never know how far the next one is

I heard this before.   Again,  thanks for sharing your story.  

I'm surprised you left NO during jazz fest!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2016 at 4:37 PM, spider said:

Wingpointe and Quail Hollow, and Green Valley Ranch in Denver.

I played Green Valley Ranch once when I lived in Denver, nice course-- I'd like to play there again.  But yeah it's kinda out in the boonies on the way to the airport.

If for some reason you have time to play another course while you're in Denver the Arrowhead course down in (I think) Highlands Ranch has some absolutely stunning scenery.

Edited by Strandly

On 4/21/2016 at 9:18 AM, spider said:

jsgolfer, thanks for the help with Annapolis.

The address of Providence is Richmond, and that's the qualifier. Specific better courses will be for another trip. Now I'm just looking to play in the 50 state capitals. I'm looking at the weather in the east and it looks like I'll be delayed by the rain at the end of April thru the beginning of May.  

Spider, my buddy indeed can get us on the course.  However, he can only make the tee time a day in advance and we would have to play after 12.

• Upvote 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

jsgolfer, that sounds great, but, my girlfriend's mother died. We are in the process of dealing with this. I'm back in California. I'll contact you about this later when I can get back east. Thanks very much for your effort. 

10 hours ago, spider said:
jsgolfer, that sounds great, but, my girlfriend's mother died. We are in the process of dealing with this. I'm back in California. I'll contact you about this later when I can get back east. Thanks very much for your effort. 

Sorry for her loss.  

And no problem, let me know when you are back over this way.  And i'll see what i can set up

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

• 2 weeks later...

This is such a cool idea.  Sorry for the delay you are having, family losses are always tough to deal with.  However, I am glad to hear that you are planning to continue on.  I might have to do something like this when I retire (which is in 20 years).

I couldn't really tell from the summaries, have you played in Columbia, SC yet?  If not, let me know when you plan on it and I can possibly drive down.  I used to live there, but am in Greenville now.

Also, big shout out to @jsgolfer for coming through on the golf course in Annapolis!

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello everyone. I'm in the process of resuming my 50/50 trip on June 4, 2017. I'm doing the western, north-western and some mid-west states. If all goes well I will complete the second trip at the end of June, 2017. I've included a map of the second trip, which also shows the seven cities that I played in on the first trip. The first city will be Sacramento, CA. The second trip will include 16 capitals plus 2 golf courses with a friend in Seattle, and Wolf Creek in Mesquite, NV. 

IMG_2494.jpg

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!