IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge May 2016

iacas
Note: This thread is 2884 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5/29/16:

Worked on putting in the hallway for about 15 minutes. Was focusing on not looking after I struck the putts.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Did some putting in the living room, mostly focusing on swing tempo and speed.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Learned the difference between wrist hinge and wrist cock . so have been practicing everything for the last couple of hours full swing, pitches, chips to really feel a wrist hinge and not the choppy motion that I get when it is only wrist cock.

Went to range to test my new swing changes. Going steeper on backswing and shallower on downswing again. "Holding" my "lag" better. Was able to hit my longer irons much better, but still spraying tge shots 30 yards left and right. Still pulling some shots. At least I am starting to understand why I am hitting farther a bit better.

Half swing drills with full hip and shoulder turns. Maintaining upper body positions and "wrist cock" through A6 a bit better. Taking A3 to A6 very slowly. 

Just caught my Sunday post. 19:21pm in CA.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

practiced chipping in the backyard with a 60 deg wedge.   I tend to be very inconsistent with chipping and today tried a weaker grip.  Saw some improvement and the swing felt better/freer.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

8 hours ago, Lihu said:

Went to range to test my new swing changes. Going steeper on backswing and shallower on downswing again. "Holding" my "lag" better. Was able to hit my longer irons much better, but still spraying tge shots 30 yards left and right. Still pulling some shots. At least I am starting to understand why I am hitting farther a bit better.

Half swing drills with full hip and shoulder turns. Maintaining upper body positions and "wrist cock" through A6 a bit better. Taking A3 to A6 very slowly. 

Just caught my Sunday post. 19:21pm in CA.

So, I was hitting balls into my net this morning and noticed that if I exaggerate the feel of holding my lag with relaxed wrists it feels more "scoopy" if that makes any sense? The contact seems much cleaner and I don't think there would be much of a divot? Going to the course sometime this week to check it out. Possibly this afternoon.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

5/30/16:

Worked on chipping this morning. Focused on not "scooping" and making a positive strike.... More worked on the motion than anything... And it's getting better. It's the weakest part of my game. If I can even get my scrambling up around 40%, I'm easily into the 70s.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Spent 15 minutes practicing "inside 20 yard" pitches with my 54*. Getting good wrist hinge and smooth turn-through. Direction very good, distance sometimes iffy.

I had mowed the yard earlier in the afternoon, so the wedge "green" and tee area were freshly cut!

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

12 hours ago, Lihu said:

So, I was hitting balls into my net this morning and noticed that if I exaggerate the feel of holding my lag with relaxed wrists it feels more "scoopy" if that makes any sense? The contact seems much cleaner and I don't think there would be much of a divot? Going to the course sometime this week to check it out. Possibly this afternoon.

Tried to exaggerate the reverse K position with my driver again at the range. There's a point of no return on doing that, but I did get a few drives with a nice draw with my Ping driver again.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Played 18 in a double bogey blitz then 9 of a captains choice. I need to work on everything but am still struggling with tee shots and short game.  I felt like I was actually playing pretty decent but I had several make able chances for par that resulted in tap in bogeys.  Overall I shot a 97 which felt more like a 90-91 of you count the tap ins. 
While I was playing in the captains choice I was told again that I need to slow down my back swing.  I get this unsolicited advice a lot and I'm thinking of taking it to heart just to see. 

Mirror work only in my foyer today. Continuous, smooth, athletic-feeling motions while looking behind me in mirror. Really exaggerated the club falling behind me. Felt like I was hitting a right-handed forehand in tennis, with the exaggerated drop after a high backswing. Repeated slowly, and gradually sped up, trying to feel the correct A6 position being hit on the way down. I think A6 is still not being hit right, but will need video to confirm. The club shallowing is feeling more natural now- just a matter of if I can do it as I speed up... and hit the right A5/A6 at the same time.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I had to go out of town last week and could not practice at all so today I just took some swings on video to see where I'm at.  The first swing I reviewed was pretty bad - huge forward slide/casty swing.  I was able to make some corrections, though, do a few drills, etc . . and ended with a swing that looked pretty close to where I had it a week ago.  I kinda noticed my left shoulder is wonky in my transition.  I still really struggle with weight transfer, sequencing and overall lower body action.  It's either - hold still . .or "all over the place"  I'm planning on another lesson for next week - if this rain ever lets up. 

Back on the indoor range this morning. Working on my posture improvements and club takeaway. feel the posture improvements are getting there now and it actually has a positive knock on effect with all my other stats.

Hi, My name is Matt.

5/31/16:

Hit some 9i, PW, GW, and 54° wedge shots with a smooth three-quarter swing focusing on light grip pressure and tempo.

As May has 31 days, I have completed the May practice challange!!!!

What's in Shane's Bag?     

On 5/30/2016 at 6:26 AM, Lihu said:

This worked out a lot better. I seem to have really gained that 10 yards without too much effort. Just "hold" the lag. The "scoopy" feeling is the lack of exaggerated forward press at impact. Took some video at 240 fps from FO but it was obviously blurred. My 9i appears to be in line, but I need to check this more. For all I know, I could be casting at this point. The balls are going really high, but appear to be going out to the "proper" distances. That is about 10 yards farther than 2.5 weeks ago.

Going to have to figure out if I am casting or not. I think what I do at the transition affects whether or not I am casting or in line? Not sure, some experimentation is needed. Going to do some measurements using my Swingbyte this week or after my break from golf early next month.

I also finished the May challenge. Almost missed one day of posting. . .whew!

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 2884 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!