IGNORED

Got a beginners set of Callaway Clubs today.

Note: This thread is 2781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Got my first set of clubs today. Im a beginner. Im starting off with a 12 club starter set by Callaway Strata. Ive reviewed the board and the Strata starter sets seem to be a good place to start learning the game.  Any advice on the clubs is appreciated. 

Edited by golfmoor

Welcome to the site and to golf.  Until you develop a good swing that set will work just fine.  Keep a eye on used clubs, their are a lot of good deals to be found, especially for us lefties.  CallawayPreowned, TaylorMadePreowned, 3Balls, GlobalGolf, eBay and 2ndSwing are some good places to hunt for used clubs at good prices.  

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, newtogolf said:

Welcome to the site and to golf.  Until you develop a good swing that set will work just fine.  Keep a eye on used clubs, their are a lot of good deals to be found, especially for us lefties.  CallawayPreowned, TaylorMadePreowned, 3Balls, GlobalGolf, eBay and 2ndSwing are some good places to hunt for used clubs at good prices.  

Thanx for the fast response and the advice. Once i know what im doing, im gonna take your advice and get clubs from Callaway preowned and the other sites. Again, thanx. :)

5 minutes ago, golfmoor said:

Got my first set of clubs today. Im a beginner. Im starting off with a 12 club starter set by Callaway Strata. Ive reviewed the board and the Strata starter sets seem to be a good place to start learning the game.  Any advice on the clubs is appreciated. 

I'm not a fan of the starter sets, better off with a quality used set. But that's not very helpful considering you've already bought them.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

(edited)
6 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Thanx for the fast response and the advice. Once i know what im doing, im gonna take your advice and get clubs from Callaway preowned and the other sites. Again, thanx. :) Greatly appreciated.  ( my bad, i already quoted you above, lol.)

2 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

I'm not a fan of the starter sets, better off with a quality used set. But that's not very helpful considering you've already bought them.

Well, once i learn the basics of the game and get a feel for what im doing, i intend to upgrade one club at a time to a better set by getting used clubs. Thanx. :)

Edited by golfmoor

51 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

I think for drivers and woods, you're probably right. For irons, I think starter sets are just fine. I used a Wilson starter set for about 3 years when I first started playing golf seriously. The driver and woods sucked, but the irons were fine. When I switched to RocketBladez irons, there was barely any difference. Really, I think it's more important to spend your money in the beginning on getting a decent swing instead of the best equipment.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

26 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I think for drivers and woods, you're probably right. For irons, I think starter sets are just fine. I used a Wilson starter set for about 3 years when I first started playing golf seriously. The driver and woods sucked, but the irons were fine. When I switched to RocketBladez irons, there was barely any difference. Really, I think it's more important to spend your money in the beginning on getting a decent swing instead of the best equipment.

Yeah, I got an off the shelf set of Callaways from Costco a few years back.  Demo'd clubs recently and the new irons, the little bit of increased yardage, not too interested in that.  But the new drivers, now there's a difference.  It's pretty much, pay some money and get 10-15 more yards.  The downside is the new Callaway XR driver cost almost as much as my entire Callaway Razr edge set bought from Costco.

21 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

With the lesser manufacturing tolerances you run the risk of having weird distance gaps and/or bunching in the set. The real bother though is that you're spending $200 on a set with no resale value that you'll likely only use for the first season if you catch the golf bug. Pick a good used set and not only can they carry you for the first 2-3 seasons, they can be resold without taking much of a loss. (Might even sell them for more if your lucky, I've had that happen twice.) 

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

1 hour ago, SavvySwede said:

With the lesser manufacturing tolerances you run the risk of having weird distance gaps and/or bunching in the set. The real bother though is that you're spending $200 on a set with no resale value that you'll likely only use for the first season if you catch the golf bug. Pick a good used set and not only can they carry you for the first 2-3 seasons, they can be resold without taking much of a loss. (Might even sell them for more if your lucky, I've had that happen twice.) 

I didn't have any gaps or bunching issues, but that's a good point about the cost/resale value. Still, spending $200 on something you'll use for a year or two isn't a terrible deal. I run through drivers faster than that, although I have a problem.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

2 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

I'm not discounting that this can't be the case but I've had my starter set since 2006, played maybe 10 times in 7 years and now have consistently been using them for the last 3+ years.  

I'll admit, I've kept using them because I rarely spend as much money in one shot like I'm considering doing now in investing in a new set but I've had no issues with my starter set.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

On 5/2/2016 at 4:24 PM, SavvySwede said:

If someone is starting golf and don't have friends to usher them in, starter sets will work. You get a box of clubs and can start playing and getting lessons. (Hopefully you can hit them first and get them tweaked if needed.)

I talked to several teaching pros for an article I did awhile back, and all agreed a beginner's set will get  a person through the first couple of years.

Some people I know balk at "getting started in golf" because all the different clubs are daunting.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

On May 2, 2016 at 2:16 PM, golfmoor said:

I wish you luck with them. I purchasd Stratas 2 years ago when I started playing. The irons will be just fine, driver and 3 wood were such low quality it was ridiculous. First swing I took with the driver I topped the darn ball (everyone does it, just admit it) and it left a golf ball sized dent in it. 3 wood? Same thing. The bag fell apart the very first round I walked with it. I hope your experience is better than mine. I don't mean to discourage you or talk down your purchase but it's just food for thought while you may still have time. But like I said, good luck and the irons will be just fine. 

(edited)
14 hours ago, Smidd4 said:

I wish you luck with them. I purchasd Stratas 2 years ago when I started playing. The irons will be just fine, driver and 3 wood were such low quality it was ridiculous. First swing I took with the driver I topped the darn ball (everyone does it, just admit it) and it left a golf ball sized dent in it. 3 wood? Same thing. The bag fell apart the very first round I walked with it. I hope your experience is better than mine. I don't mean to discourage you or talk down your purchase but it's just food for thought while you may still have time. But like I said, good luck and the irons will be just fine. 

No problem. Look. I didnt even know IF i would like playing golf, so i wasnt about to throw a lot of money into it upfront. I went to the range today for the first time and took my first ever swings. I dont care about the quality right now, just wanna learn the basics. THEN, i will worry about better equipment. thanx.

Edited by golfmoor

5 hours ago, golfmoor said:

... i wasnt about to throw a lot of money into it upfront. I went to the range today for the first time and took my first ever swings. I dont care about the quality right now, ...

If you get a boxed set from a brand-name manufacturer, they generally work out OK. These sets are designed for someone who plays a couple of times a month. If you really get the golf bug and play a couple of times a week, you will need (and want) better clubs fairly soon.

Once you understand a little about golf, then it's much easier to get some used clubs to build your "gamer" set. Remember, the golf shops want that used stuff to go back out the door quickly - they get no money from holding onto trade-ins for months on end.

If you build a relationship with reps at a friendly golf shop, they can be on the lookout for used items which will fit your needs once you're ready to advance.

It's hard to tell what you need until you play a little/

And again, welcome to TST!

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

• 4 months later...
On 5/4/2016 at 7:58 PM, WUTiger said:

If you get a boxed set from a brand-name manufacturer, they generally work out OK. These sets are designed for someone who plays a couple of times a month. If you really get the golf bug and play a couple of times a week, you will need (and want) better clubs fairly soon.

Once you understand a little about golf, then it's much easier to get some used clubs to build your "gamer" set. Remember, the golf shops want that used stuff to go back out the door quickly - they get no money from holding onto trade-ins for months on end.

If you build a relationship with reps at a friendly golf shop, they can be on the lookout for used items which will fit your needs once you're ready to advance.

It's hard to tell what you need until you play a little/

And again, welcome to TST!

Been away for a while. I had quit, lol. Good advice. I'm soo glad i got the cheap set i did. lol

Note: This thread is 2781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!