IGNORED

Differences between handicap systems around the world

DaveP043
Note: This thread is 2896 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

We've had a lot of discussion about some of the changes to the USGA Handicap System recently, particularly concerning the role of rounds played alone.  What I've noticed is that many of us don't know much about the other handicap systems used around the world, so I've started this thread.  If I trust the Wall STreet Journal, there are six different handicap systems used around the world, and each of them differs from the others in some respects.  I'm aware of the USGA system, the CONGU system in the UK and Ireland (and perhaps elsewhere), and separate systems in Europe, Australia and Argentina.   I'll just note a few items from the USGA handicap system that I know vary from some (or maybe all) of the others.

Course rating and slope - Course rating in most cases seems to be a measure of difficulty for a very good golfer.  Slope is intended to look at the relative difficulty for a bogey golfer.  Slope is used by some systems, but not all.

Daily Course Rating - Some systems use a computer generated evaluation of the difficulty of a course for each day as the benchmark.  The USGA system does not do this.

Casual play - Historically, some systems only counted competition scores, while the USGA system has counted all scores.  Recent changes to the CONGU system allow some non-competition posting, under certain conditions, while recent changes to the USGA system have disallowed posting of scores for rounds played alone.  It looks like those two systems are moving closer together already.

Stroke Control - The USGA limits the maximum score allowed for posting, while at least some other systems do not.

Instant update - Some systems update a players handicap (or index) after each round is posted.  In the USGA system, the index is updated twice a month.

I'm sure there are other differences that I don't know about, but this is a start.  In my opinion, the more we learn about each other's systems, the more we'll welcome a worldwide handicap system when it comes out.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

This thread might last only a year or so given…

(But it's bound to be good and useful for those 18 months or so!)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

This thread might last only a year or so given…

(But it's bound to be good and useful for those 18 months or so!)

I'm absolutely aware of that.  I think it might be really interesting when we all see the changes, and can look back and see how the governing bodies have all compromised to develop the eventual worldwide system.  If we can see the differences we're starting with, I hope we'll see less complaining about how this or that change is "stupid".  Notice I said "less", I know there will always be complaints.

Spoiler

Off of my own topic, I was once lucky enough to be invited to play the Member-Guest at Congressional Country Club.  As might be imagined, everything was brilliantly organized, the service we got from the staff was impeccable, the golf courses were amazing, yet I heard at least one guy complaining that the lobster tails served at the Saturday dinner (along with filet mignon, surf and turf) were way too small.  I learned then that there's always someone who will find a reason to complain, no matter how perfect things are.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

Just to add for people who haven't around the game or handicapping for too long, the USGA system has been through changes prior to this most recent one.  I first carried a handicap in 1988, and at that time all cards had to be returned to your local handicap committee for entry.  All cards had to be signed by the player and attested by someone who played with him.  Those who are so upset by the new change need to put it in perspective.  You are still being placed on your honor that you will abide by the new regulation.  

I don't remember exactly what year that verification requirement changed, but my club never had a sandbagging issue until the requirements were loosened.  Because we have an active handicap committee, we caught it quickly and dealt with it, but it had never been an issue when every qualifying round had to be verified.  I don't know if that is something that is in the wings for the near future or not, but if so, it isn't the disaster that so many seem to feel it would be.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

CONGU also excludes matchplay rounds and better ball rounds.

CONGU works based on a stableford basis so a net double bogey always scores you 0 points (even if you are playing a medal round).

30 minutes ago, Wansteadimp said:

CONGU also excludes matchplay rounds and better ball rounds.

CONGU works based on a stableford basis so a net double bogey always scores you 0 points (even if you are playing a medal round).

Interesting, and the USGA specifically includes match play and fourball rounds.  

Also, working off Stableford points essentially limits the maximum score (or in the Stableford system, the minimum number of points), which isn't exactly the same as the USGA Equitable Stroke Control, but similar.

Dave

I would be glad to see match play rounds and better ball rounds go away. They are played under different rules than standard stroke play. Under current USGA rules in match play, if I decide to concede a hole after flaring my provisional ball OB I'm still supposed to play out the hole and score it probably with my ESC score for handicap reporting purposes, and my opponent is supposed to play out the hole as well, whereas under CONGU, my opponent marks a + on the scorecard and we both pick up and move onto the next hole. The scores don't get reported under CONGU. It only matters who wins the match. Under USGA why concede putts since you have to putt them anyway?

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

1 hour ago, DrvFrShow said:

I would be glad to see match play rounds and better ball rounds go away. They are played under different rules than standard stroke play. Under current USGA rules in match play, if I decide to concede a hole after flaring my provisional ball OB I'm still supposed to play out the hole and score it probably with my ESC score for handicap reporting purposes, and my opponent is supposed to play out the hole as well, whereas under CONGU, my opponent marks a + on the scorecard and we both pick up and move onto the next hole. The scores don't get reported under CONGU. It only matters who wins the match. Under USGA why concede putts since you have to putt them anyway?

In both cases, you/your opponent would post their most likely score - it is not required that you complete the hole. In fact, there is no limit to the number of unfinished holes in a round.

Just some info on how the German system works (personally, I do not know whether other countries here in Europe use the same system as well). Just to warn you, it's quite complicated ;)

German handicaps can be as high as -54. We also have CR and slope rating, and for each handicap there is a course handicap, which depends on CR and slope (I think this is the same in the US).

Unlike in the US, you cannot just enter your round for your handicap. You can either play in tournaments (there are lots of them in every club, and it's not like the regular tournaments are 'big' in the sense that they are some kind of championships) or you can play a so called 'Extra Day Score' (not possible for HI class 1 - see below). In this case you (and at least one other person) can play 18 holes and the result will count for your handicap. Note that these EDS rounds have to be registered in advance.

In order to calculate how your HI changes, Stableford scoring system based on your course handicap is applied. A net par gives 2 points, net birdie gives 3 points, net bogey 1 and so forth (standard Stabelford). If you shoot exactly 36 points, nothing happens. If you are better, your HI will improve. If you are worse than a certain threshold, your handicap will become worse. This threshold and how your handicap changes depends on your current HI. There are 6 classes:

Class 1 - up to 4.4: For every point better than 36 points, your HI will improve by 0.1. If you shoot worse than 35, you will get 0.1 added to your HI

Class 2 - 4.5 to 11.4: For every point better than 36 points, your HI will improve by 0.2. If you shoot worse than 34, you will get 0.1 added to your HI

Class 3 - 11.5 to 18.4: For every point better than 36 points, your HI will improve by 0.3. If you shoot worse than 33, you will get 0.1 added to your HI

Class 4 - 18.5 to 26.4: For every point better than 36 points, your HI will improve by 0.4. If you shoot worse than 32, you will get 0.1 added to your HI

Class 5 - 26.5 to 36: For every point better than 36 points, your HI will improve by 0.5. You cannot become worse

Class 6 - 36 to 54: For every point better than 36 points, your HI will improve by 1. You cannot become worse

Note that your HI will always become worse by only 0.1 points. Does not matter if you shoot 30 or 3 stableford points. It is NOT 0.1 points per point worse.

We actually also have 9 hole tournaments which can affect your HI (this does not hold for HI class 1). In this case, a player automatically gets 18 points for the 9 holes he didn't play. Also, the thresholds for degradation are 1 shot higher.

Note that the Stableford scoring system for HI changes is also applied in stroke play tournaments. So technically, a scratch player could shoot a 90 and still improve his handicap (if he shoots a 25 at one hole and only birdies and pars on the rest)

Edited by disaster

4 hours ago, Martyn W said:

In both cases, you/your opponent would post their most likely score - it is not required that you complete the hole. In fact, there is no limit to the number of unfinished holes in a round.

Okay, but "most likely score" is a best guess. It's a who really cares, yet it gets reported. It shouldn't. Match play should be completely separate. IMO.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

16 hours ago, disaster said:

Just some info on how the German system works (personally, I do not know whether other countries here in Europe use the same system as well). Just to warn you, it's quite complicated ;)

This is the European Golf Association system used throughout continental Europe. It is based on the CONGU system used in the UK and Ireland. There are a few minor differences but the major one is slope. All UK courses are now being rated for the bogey player with the WWHS in view. Handicap limits are 28 for men and 36 for women. But internal "Club Handicaps" go up to 54

5 hours ago, Rulesman said:

This is the European Golf Association system used throughout continental Europe. It is based on the CONGU system used in the UK and Ireland. There are a few minor differences but the major one is slope. All UK courses are now being rated for the bogey player with the WWHS in view. Handicap limits are 28 for men and 36 for women. But internal "Club Handicaps" go up to 54

Thanks, I thought it was similar to what I know about CONGU.  I do see another difference, the maximum index for men under USGA is 36.4 and for women is 40.4

Dave

5 hours ago, Rulesman said:

As for the way you calculate your handicap yes, but there are big differences in what is a qualifying rond. In Germany, Italy and Belgium it is difficult to play a round that counts for handicap purposes, because you need to play in tournaments. In the Netherlands you can play a qualifying round whenever you want and there is someone to mark your score (only hcp 4.4 and lower are excluded and must play in Dutch golf federation qualifying rounds). It takes a golfer in Germany, Italy and Belgium a much longer span of time to reach his new handicap when he/she improves his game.

1 hour ago, MacDutch said:

As for the way you calculate your handicap yes, but there are big differences in what is a qualifying rond. In Germany, Italy and Belgium it is difficult to play a round that counts for handicap purposes, because you need to play in tournaments. In the Netherlands you can play a qualifying round whenever you want and there is someone to mark your score (only hcp 4.4 and lower are excluded and must play in Dutch golf federation qualifying rounds). It takes a golfer in Germany, Italy and Belgium a much longer span of time to reach his new handicap when he/she improves his game.

Its interesting to me that within the EGA system, specific national associations can choose to restrict or eliminate the acceptability of the Extra Day Scores.

Dave

Dutch hcp's will tend to be more vanity this year for some players in the range 4.5-10. Sounds a bit odd, but as of this year the group 4.5-11.4 is allowed to play 9 holes qualifying. Until last year this was restricted to 11.5 and higher. They do this to give people with less time and a lower handicap an opportunity play a qualifying round. I think this is a mistake, they should count two 9 hole rounds in a row as one 18 hole round, but they don't. It is far more easy to play 9 holes great, than it is to play 18 holes great.

Edited by MacDutch

7 hours ago, MacDutch said:

Dutch hcp's will tend to be more vanity this year for some players in the range 4.5-10. Sounds a bit odd, but as of this year the group 4.5-11.4 is allowed to play 9 holes qualifying. Until last year this was restricted to 11.5 and higher. They do this to give people with less time and a lower handicap an opportunity play a qualifying round. I think this is a mistake, they should count two 9 hole rounds in a row as one 18 hole round, but they don't. It is far more easy to play 9 holes great, than it is to play 18 holes great.

CONGU has just changed the formula assigning a stableford score for the unplayed holes. Previously it was 18 free points.

8 hours ago, MacDutch said:

I had forgotten that I read this.  Tell me if I'm wrong, but I understand that under CONGU rules a 9-hole score is combined with a "standard" score of some kind for the other 9 to make a, 18-hole score posted for handicap.  Under USGA rules, a 9-hole score is combined with the next 9-hole score posted, and only counts toward handicap calculation after the second 9-hole round is played.  It sits in a kind of limbo until the second 9-hole round is played.

Dave

Note: This thread is 2896 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!