IGNORED

Are you a Better Golfer than a Year Ago?

Improvement in Your Golf Game  

610 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a better golfer than you were one year ago? Are your scores and/or handicap index lower?

2. 2. One year from now, do you think you will be a better golfer (lower scores and/or handicap index) than you are now?

yes

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I feel like I am striking the ball a lot better. I am hitting driver further and straighter and taking sometimes 2 less club into the same holes.  But I am not scoring a lot better. Scoring is the ultimate indicator of better.  In my case I would either have a blow up hole that ruined the round or poor short game or putting.  However, I did just have my best 9 hole league round last night, a 3 over par 39. Previous best on this course was a 41. Hopefully this is the start of a trend.

War Eagle!

I had to vote "No" that I am not better than last year but "Yes" that I do think I'll be better next year.  This year has had a couple nice 9s, but overall I've just not been scoring. 

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

I normally peak towards the end of the summer every year.  Not this year... I am completely lost out there and have lost all confidence. Had my index down to 1.1 last September and now its back up to almost 6 and I cant break 80 to save my life.  Sad to think that I have one more golf getaway in three weeks and I'm not even really looking forward to it.

Interesting question. I had a bit of time on a flight recently so decided to look at my scores statistically. I believed I had improved, but it seems that the answer is no. I plugged all of the scores from 68 rounds since November 2021 at the same course into some statistical software, built a control chart, and did some multivariate analysis against the stats that I've been keeping. Short answer is that there is no statistical evidence that I have improved since the end of 2021, and that there is no statistically significant correlation between gross score and FH, GIR, putts/round, no of penalty shots and no. of chips (although this was just for fun, as I doubt that I have the correct measures in place to find a good correlation).

image.thumb.png.c2223b7979c895c47d7ec566e8039a08.png

From this I get:

The process is stable and predictable. I discounted the high result as probably the 1:200 or so that is outside +/-3 sigma, and the medium shift improvement in August last year which I suspect is special cause variation related to bone hard fairways and bonus driver distance.
The process centre is undesirable high,
The variation is undesirable high.
There is a medium shift for the better in August last year in August last year. Special cause variation related to bone hard fairways I suspect.
Anything between 85 and 112 is completely to be expected.

All in all, a fairly depressing picture that says I have a ridiculously inconsistent swing and my practice is ineffective. I had a bunch of lessons in 2019-20 and know I improved then as I dropped from literally every score being over 100 to what you see here. I've recently started another course of lessons so I need a run of scores (4 from 5) of 94 or better to show a small improvement and a run under 90 (2 from 3) to show a medium improvement. If anyone is remotely interested, I'll post the graph again at the end of the 6 lessons.

Anyways, it killed a few hours on a plane.

• 3 months later...

No - there was a time when I was practicing regularly, but outside of the few rounds I’ve played this year, I think I’ve hit balls maybe 3 times. 😏 I need to get back into things. This is my way of putting it out there for accountability 🙄

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

I love this question. 
Why because, like a politician, I can use, find, or create data that will support which ever side of the argument I would like to defend. 

First of all, I "feel" like I improved in 2023. Having said that, my handicap is higher now than it was at this time last year. But that doesn't tell the whole story. If I look at Shotscope, I'm about 3 shots better in 2023 than I was in 2022 on any given course that I play. So, did I improve or not improve?

Here are some reasons I feel like I've improved. 

• My handicap in 2023 has a lot more tournament rounds in it than 2022. 
  • I got about 3 shots better on each of the two courses that I played multiple times in 2022 and 2023. 
  • My 2022 handicap was nearly all rounds at one course (my home course.) In 2023, more rounds are either tournament rounds or rounds away from my home course. I took the time to play a lot of different courses in 2023. 
  • Many if not most of my "good" rounds in 2023 were ineligible to enter into my handicap. 

So, my handicap tells a story, but not the whole story. I haven't yet taken a deep dive into my 2022 and 2023 Shotscope stats. However, there's a lot there to say that I was definitely better in 2023 than I was in 2022. 

So, If I just go by handicap, I got worse in 2023 than I was in 2022. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with.