IGNORED

Hello from a (Wannabe) Former Stack and Tilter

roamin
Note: This thread is 3038 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello everybody! Glad to be here and meet you all.

I'm a husband and father of two (that's the fam in the pic). They're not near as interested in golf as I am, but I'm working on it. 

I read a Golf Digest article back in 2007 and it changed my game for the better, immensely. I quit playing for a few years and recently picked the game up again, referring back to those original GD articles to help me dust off my swing. Started okay, but I wanted better so I went online looking for new information about my old swing, and (unfortunately, so I've now learned) found it. I practiced some of the new drills I found and got a little better for a while and then bad things started to happen. A lot. Found the shanks for the first time in my life on the practice range and it was bad. Shanked 20 in a row and had no idea what was wrong (still don't, really). I got it to stop, eventually, and it doesn't really happen on the course, but still crops up in practice once in a while. Referring back to the original GD articles seems to calm everything down and I've actually been playing better than ever, but bad shots (and a rare shank) still happen too often.

It's a weird spot to be in. I'm a mid-90's golfer on a good day and despite everything I just told you, I've somehow managed 4 rounds in the 80's in the past 6 weeks, with a low of 86. (Full Disclosure: I finally started listening to my father and have been practicing my short game a lot, but still...) The problem is, I don't know what "my swing" feels like anymore or should feel like, or what to practice. After more searching online, I ended up on this thread started by @Phil McGleno and eventually, this one from @iacas, and my entire world came crashing down. I'm now certain that I have no idea what I'm actually doing, or what I'm supposed to do at all. :-( 

So I'm here for help. I'll be jumping into the Instruction and Playing Tips forum soon. I'm playing Saturday and practice the past two days has gone pretty well. After a lot of reading on this site, I have a bit of a feeling and it's working for now. I'm still not sure what I'm going for, but due to the dismantling of SnT mentioned earlier, I have a much better understanding of what I'm not doing and don't want to do, which seems to have helped with consistency.

Hopefully the forum that tore my world apart has the glue to help me piece it back together. :-D

Cheers!

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to TST!!

If you have an open mind, and are willing to learn, this forum will be the best golf decision you have ever made.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

2 hours ago, roamin said:

Hello everybody! Glad to be here and meet you all.

I'm a husband and father of two (that's the fam in the pic). They're not near as interested in golf as I am, but I'm working on it. 

I read a Golf Digest article back in 2007 and it changed my game for the better, immensely. I quit playing for a few years and recently picked the game up again, referring back to those original GD articles to help me dust off my swing. Started okay, but I wanted better so I went online looking for new information about my old swing, and (unfortunately, so I've now learned) found it. I practiced some of the new drills I found and got a little better for a while and then bad things started to happen. A lot. Found the shanks for the first time in my life on the practice range and it was bad. Shanked 20 in a row and had no idea what was wrong (still don't, really). I got it to stop, eventually, and it doesn't really happen on the course, but still crops up in practice once in a while. Referring back to the original GD articles seems to calm everything down and I've actually been playing better than ever, but bad shots (and a rare shank) still happen too often.

It's a weird spot to be in. I'm a mid-90's golfer on a good day and despite everything I just told you, I've somehow managed 4 rounds in the 80's in the past 6 weeks, with a low of 86. (Full Disclosure: I finally started listening to my father and have been practicing my short game a lot, but still...) The problem is, I don't know what "my swing" feels like anymore or should feel like, or what to practice. After more searching online, I ended up on this thread started by @Phil McGleno and eventually, this one from @iacas, and my entire world came crashing down. I'm now certain that I have no idea what I'm actually doing, or what I'm supposed to do at all. :-( 

So I'm here for help. I'll be jumping into the Instruction and Playing Tips forum soon. I'm playing Saturday and practice the past two days has gone pretty well. After a lot of reading on this site, I have a bit of a feeling and it's working for now. I'm still not sure what I'm going for, but due to the dismantling of SnT mentioned earlier, I have a much better understanding of what I'm not doing and don't want to do, which seems to have helped with consistency.

Hopefully the forum that tore my world apart has the glue to help me piece it back together. :-D

Cheers!

Welcome. Post a video in the Member Swings section and we'll help guide you.  Also, check out this thread. There are tons of great info there.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

3 hours ago, roamin said:

I'm still not sure what I'm going for, but due to the dismantling of SnT mentioned earlier, I have a much better understanding of what I'm not doing and don't want to do, which seems to have helped with consistency.

You might also find this interesting perspective on SnT from Erik (@iacas). Hopefully you don't have to totally dismantle your swing, but just tweak your understanding based on some new information (that's my takeaway anyway- I'm no expert and I am not familiar with SnT):

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Welcome to the site, there are others here who have been sidetracked by SnT, my experience is that I was doing a couple of pieces too much in the extreme, but eventually sorted it out although my head still goes forward on the backswing a little. You'll figure it out. And I didn't dismantle or rebuild my swing, but worked to fix each most pressing swing fault, one at a time.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator

I echo what others have said: for many, S&T helps them get from the 90s to the 80s… and then sometimes they get stuck there.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks for the welcome and encouragement, and for the instructional content post... what a post!

I'm glad I found this site!

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

Note: This thread is 3038 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!