Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
david_wedzik

Dustin Johnson Helped by USGA's Bungled Ruling

Note: This thread is 1557 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

45 posts / 3816 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

I got a form letter from the USGA today explaining their decision.  It was a lame attempt to do damage control.  Sadly they ruined their own tournament because all most fans will remember for some time is how they messed up the ruling on 5 and compounded the problem on 12.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

We've seen enough shots from other angles to know that there can be several people behind that camera, but he was looking right at it.  So it seems it was either him or the person lugging around the cords/accessories you always see with the cameraman.

That's atrocious that it happened in the backswing on the last full shot of the tournament. Was it me or when he finally took the shot was the camera farther back than when the beep happened?

1 hour ago, newtogolf said:

I got a form letter from the USGA today explaining their decision.  It was a lame attempt to do damage control.  Sadly they ruined their own tournament because all most fans will remember for some time is how they messed up the ruling on 5 and compounded the problem on 12.  

I think it's actually worse than that.

The image of golf conveyed to the casual viewer is that of obsession over seeming minutia inconsequential to the actual playing of the game and arcane, legalistic rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, natureboy said:

I think it's actually worse than that.

The image of golf conveyed to the casual viewer is that of obsession over seeming minutia inconsequential to the actual playing of the game and arcane, legalistic rules.

It seemed so trivial and petty that I actually wondered if they decided to assign the penalty at 12 because he requested relief on 10 and then hit his ball right over the tower.  He was fully entitled to relief but I think the commentators were even a bit shocked he put the ball right over the top of the tower even though with relief he had other angles to the green.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, newtogolf said:

It seemed so trivial and petty that I actually wondered if they decided to assign the penalty at 12 because he requested relief on 10 and then hit his ball right over the tower.  He was fully entitled to relief but I think the commentators were even a bit shocked he put the ball right over the top of the tower even though with relief he had other angles to the green.  

Oakmont is the sight of the most famous drop because of the TV tower of all time. Ernie Els hit his opening drive in the 3 man playoff in the deep deep rough, claimed he couldn't hit the green because of a TV tower got a drop and when on to win the US Open. Thing is, right after they finished the first hole the tower which was one of those mobile towers drove off. They could have just asked the truck to move. 

I could see a scenario where in the deep rough he might not know where the ball was going to go. He might take a hack hit it fat and hit the tower. After the drop he knew he could get enough club on the ball to take it over the tower. So I have no issue with the drop. 

I know the idea is that the golfer should be punished for a bad drive, but watch the 2008 US Open Tiger drove it all over the damn place and because it was so bad he would often end up on the trampled down area where the spectators were walking. So in some sense he was better off missing really bad rather than just missing bad. I view the drop DJ got in the same manor. He should have been punished, but wasn't because of good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As I rethink this...

Dustin won so the penalty not being assessed until after the round by definition didn't hurt him.

Therefore win vs. not winning are the choices here.  Given a different set of circumstances, i.e. he was immediately informed of the penalty, he couldn't do better than he did, winning.  Therefore the possible outcomes would be some % (less than a 100%) of winning and some % of not winning.  Therefore in hind-site, I agree with:

 

On 6/20/2016 at 8:42 AM, david_wedzik said:

Hear me out.

...

In other words, DJ might have LOST the U.S. Open if he had been assessed a penalty at the 5th hole instead of after he'd won by 3/4.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 hours ago, newtogolf said:

It seemed so trivial and petty that I actually wondered if they decided to assign the penalty at 12 because he requested relief on 10 and then hit his ball right over the tower.  He was fully entitled to relief but I think the commentators were even a bit shocked he put the ball right over the top of the tower even though with relief he had other angles to the green.  

Wow.

That's some record level cynicism or something there…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 hours ago, mchepp said:

Oakmont is the sight of the most famous drop because of the TV tower of all time. Ernie Els hit his opening drive in the 3 man playoff in the deep deep rough, claimed he couldn't hit the green because of a TV tower got a drop and when on to win the US Open. Thing is, right after they finished the first hole the tower which was one of those mobile towers drove off. They could have just asked the truck to move. 

I could see a scenario where in the deep rough he might not know where the ball was going to go. He might take a hack hit it fat and hit the tower. After the drop he knew he could get enough club on the ball to take it over the tower. So I have no issue with the drop. 

I know the idea is that the golfer should be punished for a bad drive, but watch the 2008 US Open Tiger drove it all over the damn place and because it was so bad he would often end up on the trampled down area where the spectators were walking. So in some sense he was better off missing really bad rather than just missing bad. I view the drop DJ got in the same manor. He should have been punished, but wasn't because of good luck.

I wish that would happen to me sometimes? Seems like when I miss the fairway, it is always behind a tree of blocked off!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

23 hours ago, iacas said:

Wow.

That's some record level cynicism or something there…

Maybe, but officials are always trying to even out bad calls in every sport.  We will just have to agree to disagree that the USGA messed up and shouldn't have penalized DJ after he was told to replace the ball and putt it by the RO.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On June 22, 2016 at 11:07 PM, newtogolf said:

Maybe, but officials are always trying to even out bad calls in every sport.

No.

On June 22, 2016 at 11:07 PM, newtogolf said:

We will just have to agree to disagree that the USGA messed up and shouldn't have penalized DJ after he was told to replace the ball and putt it by the RO.  

It's quite literally a Decision. Look up 34-3/7.

Also, the original RO screwed up, big time. I've said this repeatedly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1557 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • TST Affiliates

    SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
  • Posts

    • 9/26/20 Update: I decided to go with @iacas's advice and try to start the ball more on 0* and just swing straighter (or even slightly to the right like every other club).  Why?  I loved the pull fade, but I felt I was chasing something and fighting my natural shape (a straight draw as Erik noted).  I walked 18 recently and shot a disappointing 83.  Too many re-tees and drops due to driver.  My approach play was quite good, but I didn't maximize my opportunities off the tee. Here were a few shots from yesterday.  I pretty much did what Erik suggested: try to just hit the ball straight.  haha.  sounds simple enough.  These numbers are very similar to what I do with my other clubs.  At first, it just didn't feel like I could do it with a driver because the ball is on a tee, and that makes me feel like I'm swinging to the left.  But, it seemed to work well.  Really all I did was put the ball position off my front foot, forward shaft lean (I do this with every club; butt of club pointed at my left hip area), point the Callaway arrow at 0*, feel behind the ball, and swing like I normally do for the most part (maybe swing a little right what feels like to me so I don't hit a push fade).  The results were pretty good.  More or less just straight balls with minimal curve, like my other shots.  My ball speed was in the ball park, maybe a little slower than where I'd like to see it, but I'm not a particularly fast player.  My launch does look a bit high though; maybe I'm adding too much loft through the shot?  That could be lowering my ball speed a bit from what I like to see. NOTE: I realize that GC2’s algorithm really likes low spin shots. It ain’t really carrying that far. Truth is, every single one of those shots is flying around 255-265 when you enter the data into flightscope's optimizer. It’s weird because I’ve looked into the algorithm stuff and noticed that it appears to occur only with clubs with less spin, e.g. driver and maybe a low spin 3w. It’s like once you get around 3k spin or less, GC2 overly rewards the carry number. With the other clubs, it’s pretty much spot on. For instance, I know with my 5i if I get my 127-130 mph ball speed range, it’ll fly 185-190.  It appears that once I grab my 5w or less, the numbers match up on the Gc2, flightscope projections, and what I see on course; I just have to remember that when I hit my driver or I catch a low spinner with my 3w that the results will not be as optimistic as the machine reads. NOTE 2: If I should move this to my swing thread, let me know @boogielicious.
    • Swinging a club with its headcover on is perfectly legal.  There are some with zippers which stay on!  I've asked USGA.  
    • I don't honestly care if he did or not - I just want him to get the same treatment and accusations Tiger did
    • If he made swings with them, and didn't use the donut for general stretching, I believe it's a breach of 4.3:
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. bandstan
      bandstan
      (50 years old)
    2. boobiemiles
      boobiemiles
      (29 years old)
    3. ButterCuts1372
      ButterCuts1372
      (35 years old)
    4. Dombaker
      Dombaker
      (24 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...