IGNORED

2016 British Open at Royal Troon Discussion Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 2846 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

15 hours ago, Chilli Dipper said:

The Scottish journalists ask outstanding questions during the press conferences; the Japanese journalists still only ask the players how great Matsuyama is.

They are not journalists. They are his posse! He is pretty dang good though!

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Really interesting to see Donald at +2 in spite of hitting 13 of 14 fairways. Just proves The Rule, I guess!

Edited by b101

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Just now, b101 said:

Yep - 5th is 209 yards and 14th is 178 yards. Why do you ask? 

The graphic on the official site shows the long drive holes as the 5th and the 14th. I think they mean one on the front 9 and one on the back 9, but they got the hole number wrong. The 100yd difference is interesting! Here's a reprint:

Screen Shot 2016-07-14 at 6.33.46 AM.png

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Yes Louis! Lovely swing!

Just now, RandallT said:

The graphic on the official site shows the long drive holes as the 5th and the 14th. I think they mean one on the front 9 and one on the back 9, but they got the hole number wrong. The 100yd difference is interesting! Here's a reprint:

Screen Shot 2016-07-14 at 6.33.46 AM.png

Weird - my guess is they mean hole 6 as that's the straightaway par 5 and must be 13 as Ben An hasn't got to 15 yet. 

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Just now, b101 said:

Yes Louis! Lovely swing!

I just saw a brief pre-round interview of him (I'm still catching up and a few hours behind on TV), and they asked Louis what he needs to do this round. He said with a smile "all I need to do is keep from playing myself out of it." The man can get hot at any time.

I just saw that the official site keeps a leaderboard of front 9 and back 9. Oosthuizen is the only player right now playing the back 9 under par (-1). And it took a hole in one to do it!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

McIlroy imploding after a good start. Not sure who this Porteous guy is. Another one of Gary Player's Sourth African prodigies I imagine.

Edited by ChrisP

Just started watching, wow the course looks amazing from what I've seen already. I love when these tournaments are live streamed. Helps make the day go by faster.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

10 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Just started watching, wow the course looks amazing from what I've seen already. I love when these tournaments are live streamed. Helps make the day go by faster.

My dog gets me up at 5 am, usually I am not happy but this morning I could watch some golf with my cup of coffee.

I love tough courses for the pros. I like to see these guys get punished for inaccurate dare I say "bad" shots.
Was watching nearly a dozen guys looking for 1 ball in the rough on 6!

Good viewing!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

2 minutes ago, Elmer said:

My dog gets me up at 5 am, usually I am not happy but this morning I could watch some golf with my cup of coffee.

I love tough courses for the pros. I like to see these guys get punished for inaccurate dare I say "bad" shots.
Was watching nearly a dozen guys looking for 1 ball in the rough on 6!

Good viewing!

I do like to see them play courses that are difficult as long as they aren't overly penal as some courses have been for majors. I think they should still be able to go low if they execute, but like you, I can appreciate it when they are punished when they don't execute. It seems like this course is exactly that type, with people posting some pretty low scores and some higher scores.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Was great to watch the early coverage and hear Mike Tirico's voice. Forgot NBC acquired him. NBC now blows CBS away with talent. They even have Faldo for TGC coverage. And thank god I don't have to hear MCCord or Baker-Finch this week.

Edited by ChrisP
  • Upvote 1

Sandy Lyle (+14) is below the Bowditch line, +8 (which is golf's version of the Mendoza line this year).

Lowry came out of the gate poorly too +7.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

5 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Sandy Lyle (+14) is below the Bowditch line, +8 (which is golf's version of the Mendoza line this year).

Lowry came out of the gate poorly too +7.

Yeah Lowry has had a rough year. It's why I still was holding my breath on him going into that last round at Oakmont. When things are going rough, eventually they catch up to you and they finally caught up to him then.

Thrashin' 540, Phil.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

PM on fire. If he wins the thing, he should just go ahead and immigrate to GB. Then he can say that he has won his national championship twice, that's two more national championships than he can account for now..:-P

Vishal S.

Seriously good round he's got going there...

Heartbreaking :-(

Note: This thread is 2846 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!