IGNORED

Have you converted your home to LED bulbs? What savings did you see?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2879 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm a little late to switch to LEDs, as have been uninformed. Basically switched 3/4 of the bulbs to 40-60 watt equivalent bulbs, eventually all possible bulbs will be switched, will be interesting to see the difference in the electric bill. I've heard up to $75 saved per month on electric alone. If you switched, what savings did you realize?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I'm a little late to switch to LEDs, as have been uninformed. Basically switched 3/4 of the bulbs to 40-60 watt equivalent bulbs, eventually all possible bulbs will be switched, will be interesting to see the difference in the electric bill. I've heard up to $75 saved per month on electric alone. If you switched, what savings did you realize?

It's hard to tell exactly because of all the other variables affecting our electric bill but I'd say it's about $50 a month savings.  

Joe Paradiso

I have switched some of my outdoor and utility lighting to led, mostly because I got tired of changing outdoor bulbs but not enough to reap the economic benefits. I doubt I will switch over entirely anytime soon, at least, not until the available tech gets much better. Adequate light, but not very appealing compared to filament. It has gotten much better as they have figured out how to filter out or at least reduce the blue aspect but still pretty unnatural looking. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

The saving will depend on a number of factors, but IMO it's definitely worth the investment to switch. You'll definitely save something, and LEDs are a lot more durable than their halogen or incandescent counterparts. 

Your a/c will thank you in the summer.

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

I honestly believe that the more money we save with stuff like this, the more money the electric company will charge us to offset the costs of running the electricity generators and manpower. I still changed a lot of my bulbs but have yet to see much of a change in bill.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

• Administrator

I don't think I turn enough lights on to see much savings.

I use CFL everywhere I can these days anyway.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

21 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't think I turn enough lights on to see much savings.

I use CFL everywhere I can these days anyway.

I was telling my wife about this topic and she started laughing at me. Then she called me a dumb ass because we have no LED bulbs in our house. She said every light inside and out are CFL's. Hey I guess she would know since her father is an electrician and wired it for us.

5 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

I have switched some of my outdoor and utility lighting to led, mostly because I got tired of changing outdoor bulbs but not enough to reap the economic benefits. I doubt I will switch over entirely anytime soon, at least, not until the available tech gets much better. Adequate light, but not very appealing compared to filament. It has gotten much better as they have figured out how to filter out or at least reduce the blue aspect but still pretty unnatural looking. 

Agree 100%. 

Like @iacas, I can't imagine having so many lights on to actually notice a savings.  Lighting makes up a minuscule part of my monthly electric bill.  A handful of lights for a few hours a day = $75 per month?  Just don't leave lights on in rooms you're not in, just like your dad taught you all those years ago!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I converted our house to all LED's. It's tough to say, but I think it probably saved maybe $10/month.

I think the bigger advantage is not having to change bulbs, and having control over color temperature.

- John

All of my bulbs are CFLs. I guess I'll switch to LEDs when those burn out, but I almost never have my lights on. When the sun is out I've got plenty of natural light, and when it goes down I prefer to just let it be dark. The only real exceptions are for reading, cooking/eating, and bathrooming.

14 hours ago, David in FL said:

Agree 100%. 

Like @iacas, I can't imagine having so many lights on to actually notice a savings.  Lighting makes up a minuscule part of my monthly electric bill.  A handful of lights for a few hours a day = $75 per month?  Just don't leave lights on in rooms you're not in, just like your dad taught you all those years ago!

Were you stalking me? My dad used to hound me about that constantly.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

We've made the change on almost every light in the house. Not so much to save money, but because they seem to light the rooms better. If I lived by myself I probably wouldn't have cared enough to change from CFLs. Now that they're in however, I do prefer them.

Jon

15 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

I converted our house to all LED's. It's tough to say, but I think it probably saved maybe $10/month.

I think the bigger advantage is not having to change bulbs, and having control over color temperature.

This 100%!!!

I despise changing light bulbs. I despise 'throw away' products. Not for some environmental reason per se, but because I waste so much time doing it! 

- buy piece of crap product

- use for a little while

- product breaks

- throw product out

- drive to store

- buy new product

- return home

The wasted time driving to and from the store to replace crappy products adds up. I only have so much time on this earth, I don't want to spend 2 weeks of it over the course of my life driving to/from the store to replace crappy products :)

Ian

On 7/3/2016 at 9:21 AM, nevets88 said:

Anyone miss the light from the traditional incandescent? They are disappearing. I wonder if there will be a niche nostalgia market for them.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

Anyone miss the light from the traditional incandescent? They are disappearing. I wonder if there will be a niche nostalgia market for them.

You can get the same color temperature with LEDs.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

You can get the same color temperature with LEDs.

Doesn't matter. Some people prefer vinyl records insisting the audio is better. 

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

Doesn't matter. Some people prefer vinyl records insisting the audio is better. 

But with vinyl there is an actual difference in the sound (better or worse, I don't care to say, but it's different)… With the color temperature, people won't know the difference.

Note: This thread is 2879 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!