IGNORED

Ball choice

Note: This thread is 3001 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Only been playing golf for around 3 months. Been using Nike mojos. I was losing a ton of balls every round. Lately it's down to maybe 1 or 2 balls the last few rounds. I found a Taylormade rocketballz on the course.I used it for a fee holes. I found that  to me it felt better than the mojos. I understand their is no magical ball per say. So my question is how do you know the best ball for you. I don't hit the ball good enough to try and make it do anything special. A buddy gave me a srixon q star to try. But we were on 18 already. Reading reviews it sounds as I will have to try a bunch. Sorry for the long ramble

You know you have the right ball when the ball behaves EXACTLY how you expect it to after a SUCCESSFUL shot. My advice is to buy on price and feel and then look at your results. Does it reach the trajectory you seek, feel good off your putter, and how does it behave on apporach and around the green? When u hit an approach the ball should stop how and where u want. If it rolls out too much, u might wanna try urethane balls, if it feels like a rock, try lower compression. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Two piece golf balls are generally less expensive, slightly more durable and may provide a little more distance than polyurethane models (typically three piece construction). However, they don’t have the spin necessary to stop shots quickly around the greens as do three piece golf balls. Look for USGA Conforming golf balls when you shop...

ProVictoryOPT_logo.jpg

Play what feels good and what you can afford. When you find yourself hitting greens regularly and the ball rolls off or way to far........look to try something 3 piece and or urethane covered. At that point you will want the spin

play what you find too! It's a good cheap way to try different balls

• Upvote 1

I really like the Srixon Z Stars, tour yellow is my preference but I like them a lot.  Great off the tee, feel great off the irons, they'll stop on the green when you need them to, and if you look online you can find the older ones for like $30/dz, for a ball that's normally like $44/dz

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

3 hours ago, OoAaronoO said:

This weekend gonna try a few different balls out. Thanks everyone for the input

Do you have a price range? 

1 hour ago, OoAaronoO said:

Yes and no.. I don't mind spending 20-30 a dozen. I just know I'm still gonna lose a few

If you don't mind purchasing online check out http://www.snellgolf.com/. The My Tour Balls are very good and are very similar to a ProV 1. I personally don't have experience with the Get Sum balls but there are plenty of people on this site who do. I think they are similar to an Titleist nxt or Bridgestone E series. I am very happy with the My Tour Balls and for the price you can't go wrong.

Used/re-cycled is also an option. You can try all kinds of different balls. Been playing four years, started late in life-just now starting to feel a difference in a  ball model. The way I was losing balls, cheap was the best ball

Since you are fairly new to golf I would suggest a two piece ball since you more than likely don't have enough skills around the green yet to take advantage of ball that spins a lot. Plus a ball that spins a lot is not good for someone just starting out because it will exacerbate any side spin you put on the ball, ie slice which most new to golf beginners usually have until they find out how to get rid of it. Many two piece balls are fairly firm but they are many out they that are manufactured to feel soft. Many  manufacturers make what they call a soft ball which usually means it is a lower compression ball but it also feels soft off the club not harsh like some balls. Look for balls that claim to be low compression or just have the word soft in the description of the ball. Callaway has a Super Soft ball Srixon has a Soft Feel, Taylor Made has a Aeroburner soft. There are others but if you find one of these try it and see if you like it. 

I got a couple packs of Taylor Made Penta Speed balls at the start of the season and have half a dozen left.  They're not bad but not good either, I'm looking forward to trying a new ball.

9 hours ago, shanksalot said:

Since you are fairly new to golf I would suggest a two piece ball since you more than likely don't have enough skills around the green yet to take advantage of ball that spins a lot. Plus a ball that spins a lot is not good for someone just starting out because it will exacerbate any side spin you put on the ball, ie slice which most new to golf beginners usually have until they find out how to get rid of it. Many two piece balls are fairly firm but they are many out they that are manufactured to feel soft. Many  manufacturers make what they call a soft ball which usually means it is a lower compression ball but it also feels soft off the club not harsh like some balls. Look for balls that claim to be low compression or just have the word soft in the description of the ball. Callaway has a Super Soft ball Srixon has a Soft Feel, Taylor Made has a Aeroburner soft. There are others but if you find one of these try it and see if you like it. 

I am a fan of soft balls and I really like the Callaway Supersoft and the Srixon Soft feel but I just recently tried the Gamer softs and the Bridgestone treosoft and those are both very good as well.  I am still using Q-Stars and Gamers for the most part though just because I have about 20 dozen of them 

I go through phases of liking balls for a while, at the moment I am into Nike's RZN line. If i'm playing a competition i'll go for the more expensive RZN Black, which holds up well with the wind on my British seaside course, or if i'm just playing for fun I like the RZN White which is cheaper and in my opinion is still a really nice ball with good feel.

Just for laughs, I hit four balls from 100 yards with a 3/4 pitching wedge (six actually but four good ones), two ProV1's and two Mojo's.  The Mojo's backed up 3 and 4 feet, the ProV1's backed up 6 feet.  Yeah, I guess it makes a difference if you're accurate within a couple of feet from 100 yards.  I'm not.

Note: This thread is 3001 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!