IGNORED

Is there a correlation between better scores and better swing?

freshmanUTA
Note: This thread is 2796 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Absolutely.  The better I score the better my swing.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Consistently & repeatably hitting your target is huge in golf. But if you play with a big curve you limit your distance on average as well as your aiming options when the hole turns the 'other' way or you are playing out of a chute of trees.

Those guys were good players, but they've likely optimized their games as far as they can go with those full swings.

Kevin

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Nope, theres no correlation. 

Couldn't disagree more.

But my definition of a "better swing" is perhaps less biased by esthetics than others here.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Golf for most of us is "missing it in a good place"  The difference between 85 and 75 is a couple of terrible shots.  I am approaching 70 and have not shot my age.  I will tho, if I  live  long enough.  The best advice I have ever gotten was from Bart Bryant while he played for New Mexico State University.  It went something like this..."play the shot you have today"  after hitting balls on the range prior to playing...you should realize that today you are destined to draw, cut or hit it straight.  Most courses start out with a driver hole.  Set up to hit it in the middle.  If you draw, cut or hit it straight....play every shot the same,,,the rest of the round.  Don't try to change it. Change comes on the driving range llater.

Edited by Glh
Typo

I would have to say that yes, there is a direct correlation to a better swing and better scores.  Just take a look at the PGA professionas, they all have relatively great swings.  You can point out Furyks swing, but he gets the clubhead square at impact like he needs to.  I can say for myself, I have worked on my swing ALOT over the last year and a half, and it has finally come together to where my scores are reflecting it.  As my swing would get better, so would my scores.

Lots of people seem to think I have a 'pretty' swing. Smooth, blah blah blah. They ask how I was only as low as 78. Drives me crazy. I would give up the supposed 'prettyness' of my swing for even a single stroke reduction of my handicap. 

I learned at a young age to not care about looks but to care about results. Works in almost every sport except body building.

Ian

19 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Nope, theres no correlation. 

If you saw me hitting balls on the range and didn't look where the ball was going, you would never think i was a plus handicap. We play with a guy sometimes that we call textbook. Because his swing is something out of a anatomy book - its looks perfect lol. But the guy can barley break 80 on most rounds. Golf is about getting the ball in the hole in as few strokes as possible. It seems like your playing companions on that day had a good handle on that idea. The swing is just the tool that allows the player to play. The swing is not the game. So if you got a swing (for whatever reason) that only allows you to hit a big banana slice, then play with it. 

That is a very good point.  As long as you have a consistent swing, that is all that matters.

Look at Arnold Palmer, his swing seems very unorthodox but he was/is very consistent with his swing.

There is absolutely no correlation between how your swing looks versus how well you play/score.  The only thing that matter, IMHO, is how consistent you are.  Unfortunately, I am not that consistent.  I can have a lights out round and then the very next day blow up like a balloon.  :cry:

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

• Administrator
13 hours ago, IanW said:

Lots of people seem to think I have a 'pretty' swing. Smooth, blah blah blah. They ask how I was only as low as 78. Drives me crazy. I would give up the supposed 'prettyness' of my swing for even a single stroke reduction of my handicap. 

You're a 4.

12 hours ago, Yukari said:

That is a very good point.  As long as you have a consistent swing, that is all that matters.

Everyone's swing is consistent.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 7/21/2016 at 1:06 PM, Dave2512 said:

Small sample, two guys shooting 81-83 could just as easily shoot 91-93 a day later. IME the more erratic someone hits the ball the more erratic their scores. Someone fighting a slice aligning way left isn't controlling anything it's just a Band-Aid. Better ball strikers score better with more consistency.

But it sounds like it is about a 10 of 15 yard slice. If it is repeatable that is no out of control. Jack Nicklaus played a controlled fade, but someone with a controlled slice can be very consistent. The worse thing you could be is missing both left and right. It sounds like those guy were pretty consistently missing just a small amount. An uncontrollable slice is usually 30-40 yards. Did not sound like that was the case with these two guys. 

On 7/21/2016 at 11:42 AM, coachjimsc said:

This thread may help with your question.

Yep, this ^^^^^^^^^^

Generally, the lower the handicap
- the more keys the players owns.
- the less "unnecessary" movements they make or have to make up for.
- their swings produce better contact and more distance than higher handicappers.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

If by "better swing" you mean a swing that is more mechanically sound and hits on all the major points required to consistently strike the ball with accuracy, then yes there is a strong correlation. GIR and nGIR are the biggest stats when it comes to lowering your scores, and a technically better swing will produce more nGIR and GIR. 

If by "better swing" you really mean "better looking swing", then the answer is no. Arnold Palmer, Jim Furyk, Jim Thorpe, etc. have all made it work quite well with a swing that most would consider ugly.

I think a better correlation  would be the better club head position at impact, the better the score. 

You see a lot of poor (ugly?) swings out there, that are still carding decent scores. The swing supplies the power,but  the club head position at impact sends the ball where it's going. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 2796 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!