IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge August 2016

iacas
Note: This thread is 2756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Welcome to the "5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge for August, 2016! The rules are the same as always:

• Make a somewhat detailed post describing your practice every day during the month.
  • No back-dating or pre-dating posts or practice sessions.
  • On the last day of the month, if you completed the challenge, post about it, preferably in red text or something so I can notice it and give you the award.
  • Detail what you did for at least five minutes of practice (indoors or out, with or without golf balls, etc.).

Enjoy and practice hard!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8/1/16:

I worked on different trajectories with all groups of clubs today. (Driver, Fairway, Hybrid, Mid-iron, short iron, wedges).

I shot a 39 on my final nine holes yesterday, first time I've broken 40 for nine all year. I wanted to get some improvement while I'm swinging well. Also finding my most consistent trajectory... Gripping down has been my method... especially with driver. I've found I'm pretty straight if I grip down about an 3/4 of an inch to an inch or so... (I don't know the exact distance I just put my left pinkie where my middle was previously.)

Like I said in the July thread, I'm looking forward to the challenge anf hard work in future months.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Alright - this will be the month I practice every day. I'm off to a good start - practiced for about 20 minutes earlier - short irons into the net.  I feel like I've got what I need and I'm in a phase of grooving it in.  I have basically 3 moves, I'm trying to ingrain:

1.  Don't move my head back during first part of takeaway

2.  Rotate until I feel my left heel wants to lift, then step down.

3.  Keep my wrists loose!  It's really the craziest thing - I always want to lock them up. 

Once I groove in these things my plan is to play quite a bit and then see what I think my plan needs to be for improving further.

I am working in my last evolvr lesson points now:

- Keep left flat wrist, at the top of the backswing and in the impact.

- Doing very short swings, checking the top position. 

- Seeing the lesson and understanding where the problem is and how can I work on it.

:nike:

8/01 - range day. Killed it. Worked on 5SK #1-4 with long and short approaches. I can feel my HCP dropping! 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

8/1/2016:

Short, straight putts, through a series of ball gates (with a gate around the putter as well). About 10 minutes worth. Simple, but hasn't gotten boring yet.

• Upvote 1

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

8/1:  4-8 ft putts, inside on a cheap putting practice mat.  I don't know how much help it is, but the incline at the 'cup' forces you to accelerate through the ball to get it to the hole.

:cobra:  :wilsonstaff:  :cleveland:

• Cobra Fly-Z+ Driver (10*), 3/4 Fwy (15.5*)
  • Adams Red (20*)
  • Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 4-GW (24*,27*,31*,35*,39*,43*,47*, 51*)
  • Cobra Trusty Rusty (51*,55*,59*)
  • Cleveland TFI 6.5

8/1 - Mirror work at the gym for 5 minutes.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

8/2/16:

Continued working on slightly gripping down on my 7i, PW, and 54° this morning. I will say the more I grip down the more I hit it left. But if I just grip down 3/4" to 1" from normal (I usually grip it around 1 finger from the end) I'm pretty straight and the trajectory is that medium trajectory I'm looking for.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

8/2:  more putting stroke work, this time concentrating on the follow-through.

:cobra:  :wilsonstaff:  :cleveland:

• Cobra Fly-Z+ Driver (10*), 3/4 Fwy (15.5*)
  • Adams Red (20*)
  • Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 4-GW (24*,27*,31*,35*,39*,43*,47*, 51*)
  • Cobra Trusty Rusty (51*,55*,59*)
  • Cleveland TFI 6.5

Today, lifted weights and finished my exercise with swing overspeed training which I'm now trying to do once or twice a week - takes about 10 minutes or so.  Got to 94 mph with driver.  Noted that laying the club down a bit at the start of my downswing increases my speed by about 3-4 mph.

8/02 - 9 holes: hit more GIR/nGIR with approach shots. 42 (good for me)

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

8/2/2016:

Short, straight putts through ball gates. Nothing special, just trying to stay "consistent".

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

Woke up this am, went to the range and hit a medium bucket - hit through most of my clubs with some extra time on the driver.  Based on that - I went back home and practiced for 30 minutes or so with my mat and net.  I realized that, at the range, I was cheating/quitting on my turn . . I always want to do that. 

I made up a drill to help me feel a full turn.  I didn't really make it up - I'm sure I saw it somewhere.  I address the ball with the club across my chest - handle to the target.  Then turn to point the handle at the ball.  Then, without moving anything else - lift my arms to the top of the backswing.  This helps me, I hope, burn into my mind what it feels like when I'm fully turned - in my hips, legs, knees, etc.  I did some swings from the top (difficult) and then did some easy swings thinking about reaching that coiled position. 

8/3/16:

Got my chipping distances down today. Im using one chipping motion... so I chip with different clubs for different distances.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Mirror work at the gym. I may go to the range later. I played pretty well off the tee yesterday with my driver and fairway. But thinned a few iron shots in the fairway. I think an old bad habit came up which was dipping my head/etc. near the top of the backswing. So I focused on keeping steady head all the way to A4 in the mirror. If I go to the range, that will be a refresher at the beginning of the session.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

8/03- grip, stance, 5SK #1-3 x 10 mins. Also 25 8-10ft putts

-Jonny

Note: This thread is 2756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!