IGNORED

2016 Olympic Golf Tournament (Men's and Women's) Discussion Thread

Golfingdad
Note: This thread is 2801 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Yeah, I've always liked Kuchar, but now he is in my Top 5, great guy.  

Met him once and he immediately vaulted into my Top 3 guys. And it is just me or do these guys seem a lot more shaky than normal?

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9
SM4 Titleist Vokey Wedges 47, 54, 58
College freshman playing golf at Wabash College in Indiana!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, MasonAsher2014 said:

Met him once and he immediately vaulted into my Top 3 guys. And it is just me or do these guys seem a lot more shaky than normal?

Only Top 3 get medals, so unlike a regular tournament, there's no consolation prize or cash for finishing 4th or higher.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

3 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Only Top 3 get medals, so unlike a regular tournament, there's no consolation prize or cash for finishing 4th or higher.  

Very true. Even Rose and Stenson are hitting shots that normally I don't see from them.

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9
SM4 Titleist Vokey Wedges 47, 54, 58
College freshman playing golf at Wabash College in Indiana!

Logoless hat and clothing for the most part Stenson has, other players too. Nice not to see walking billboards for a change. Pretty good attendence too. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

13 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Dont quite agree with this. Money surely doesn't mean anything to these guys, so there's no real difference between finishing 2nd or 4th in regular tournaments.

Here Rose and Stenson know that barring a nightmare they're guaranteed an Olympic Medal.

1 hour ago, Hazsa said:

Dont quite agree with this. Money surely doesn't mean anything to these guys, so there's no real difference between finishing 2nd or 4th in regular tournaments.

Here Rose and Stenson know that barring a nightmare they're guaranteed an Olympic Medal.

To more than half the guys in this field, money means everything, only the top 20 or so are well off, so it's a sacrifice for any of them to be there.

What a great finish, really happy for JR.  Always liked him but he's a bit quiet (boring?).  I follow him on Twitter and he was all-in from day 1, even more than Rickey.  So, karma is real.  Great round from Kuch to get on the podium and add another US medal.

Jordan will get the next 2 Golds so good to see a couple other countries in the mix in 2016, that's over now.  

Interesting that the 3 medal winners were all grizzled vets.  Not sure what that tells us but interesting they spanked the young guns.

Sorry, brain dump on Olympic golf, taped it all so stayed away from the thread until now.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

15 hours ago, Aguirre said:

But citing the zika virus as a reason shows a poor science IQ. And you shouldn't have broken that phrase apart.  I'm specifically referring to their ability to understand the risks associated with the virus, not their intelligence.

Sure, Zika is not Ebola, but IMO it's not quite as black and white as you imply. While the current Rio season (winter) makes the potential infection rate much lower it's not zero. The current information on Zika is incomplete. There's little long-term epidemiology on it. The quoted infection rates have been based primarily on 'emergency' visit reports of severe infections and birth deformities. The actual infection rate is expected to be much higher. The 'severe' cases tend to be quite rare, but to my knowledge there aren't really any longitudinal studies that evaluate long-term impacts from low-grade infection. It could be nothing, but given the fact that Zika impacts the brain in infants and the peripheral nervous system in some adults, it's long-term effects may be more important than the active phase 'fever' symptoms. It's an unknown with a potentially significant downside.

While it's been known about for a while it was relatively isolated in geography and was not much studied until it became widespread and somewhat 'epidemic'. Unexpected, unstudied effects have a history of biting the medical establishment's behind. Remember Thalidamide? The best present information currently available doesn't always represent the most important information for evaluating risk.

Why take that risk when for the higher ranked men the expected outcome was to lose in terms of average OWGR points?

Edited by natureboy
  • Upvote 2

Kevin

22 minutes ago, natureboy said:

Sure, Zika is not Ebola, but IMO it's not quite as black and white as you imply. While the current Rio season (winter) makes the potential infection rate much lower it's not zero. The current information on Zika is incomplete. There's little long-term epidemiology on it. The quoted infection rates have been based primarily on 'emergency' visit reports of severe infections and birth deformities. The actual infection rate is expected to be much higher. The 'severe' cases tend to be quite rare, but to my knowledge there aren't really any longitudinal studies that evaluate long-term impacts from low-grade infection. It could be nothing, but given the fact that Zika impacts the brain in infants and the peripheral nervous system in some adults, it's long-term effects may be more important than the active phase 'fever' symptoms. It's an unknown with a potentially significant downside.

While it's been known about for a while it was relatively isolated in geography and was not much studied until it became widespread and somewhat 'epidemic'. Unexpected, unstudied effects have a history of biting the medical establishment's behind. Remember Thalidamide? The best present information currently available doesn't always represent the most important information for evaluating risk.

Why take that risk when for the higher ranked men the expected outcome was to lose in terms of average OWGR points?

Wrong thread.  This is the one about the actual golf.

• Upvote 1

Great finish and a really great event, throughout. 

One thing that bothered me the entire time, though . .was how much the commentators were *overselling* the importance, the excitement, the experience, etc.  They just never stopped - from start to finish.  At one point today one of them said "You think anybody's thinking about the player's who aren't here"? . . .I slapped my forehead so hard it hurt, lol . .you've been *talking* about them *all* week . .so, yeah, I think you're thinking about them.  Duh. 

• Upvote 2

Yep, that's gold, verifies Justin Rose, all 7%. I'm guessing he doesn't need that 1 year 4 major exempt status that comes with it.

What does that logo even mean?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Of course Kuchar backdoored a bronze medal. Should have bet on him to do that. Easy money.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

9 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Of course Kuchar backdoored a bronze medal. Should have bet on him to do that. Easy money.

Don't know what that means but sounds like a dis.  If so, fk u.  If not, my bad.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Can't wait to watch him get 1 point at the Ryder Cup. Him coming up short on a birdie putt to confirm the bronze medal is the epitome of his career.

I don't really dislike Kuchar, but you can bet money on him never sniffing being a winner while still finishing in the top 10. 

-- Daniel

3 hours ago, Hazsa said:

There is no real difference between finishing 2nd or 4th in regular tournaments? When was the last time you looked at a payout for 2nd and 4th place? The difference would be $200,000 minimum.Yeah I'm sure it means nothing. LOL

16 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Can't wait to watch him get 1 point at the Ryder Cup. Him coming up short on a birdie putt to confirm the bronze medal is the epitome of his career.

I don't really dislike Kuchar, but you can bet money on him never sniffing being a winner while still finishing in the top 10. 

What makes you a winner in your chosen profession?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Natural Patrick said:

There is no real difference between finishing 2nd or 4th in regular tournaments? When was the last time you looked at a payout for 2nd and 4th place? The difference would be $200,000 minimum.Yeah I'm sure it means nothing. LOL

I'm obviously not speaking from experience, but if I'm earning as much as Rose/ Stenson/ Kuchar then I'm not overly fussed between finishing 2nd or 4th (200,000 difference as you just informed me) in a regular comp. I'm gunning for the win.

If I'm playing in the Olympics, then im thrilled to finish in the medals. If I'm basically guaranteed a silver with a few holes left I'm relatively relaxed as far as Olympic competition goes. That's just me, Stenson might have thrown his Silver medal in the bin for all I know.

If I add 'LOL' to the end of my post does that help my argument?

3 minutes ago, Hazsa said:

I'm obviously not speaking from experience, but if I'm earning as much as Rose/ Stenson/ Kuchar then I'm not overly fussed between finishing 2nd or 4th (200,000 difference as you just informed me) in a regular comp. I'm gunning for the win.

If I'm playing in the Olympics, then im thrilled to finish in the medals. If I'm basically guaranteed a silver with a few holes left I'm relatively relaxed as far as Olympic competition goes. That's just me, Stenson might have thrown his Silver medal in the bin for all I know.

If I add 'LOL' to the end of my post does that help my argument?

It can if it pisses off the person you are arguing with. LOL

4 hours ago, Natural Patrick said:

What makes you a winner in your chosen profession?

I work for the government, so I always win. :-D

-- Daniel

33 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I work for the government, so I always win. :-D

Yes, you do. :)

Note: This thread is 2801 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!