Ramnation
Note: This thread is 2806 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6'5" 230, two torn shoulders, and in the woods

Jk, but really. First post here, but not new to a forum community. Quick back ground. Played baseball til I was 24, have a slap tear in both my labrums from it, and need some help with swing path due to range of motion. My lead (left) shoulder has a tendency to click when my backswing is on the ideal path, so my natural path gets reallyyy shallow to subconsciously avoid that pain. I shoot anywhere from a 74-85 and the driver is all 11 of those strokes.

Thanks a bunch in advance. Been a long time reader -- look forward to contributing where I can.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The face on version needs to be level with the ball. We are off to the left which can lead to misdiagnosis because of parallax. I recommend you read the great article here on how to video your swing. 

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

I can see something you can work on from the down the line view. Your shoulder turn is too flat. By doing this you take yourself out of your spine angle and then you essentially try to power your swing with your arms. Keegan on the right has a steeper shoulder turn and it helps him to rotate easier and get into a more powerful position. 

Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 10.15.20 AM.png

Here is a good thread to read.

• Upvote 1

Michael

14 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Ah. Thank you.

9 hours ago, mchepp said:

The face on version needs to be level with the ball. We are off to the left which can lead to misdiagnosis because of parallax. I recommend you read the great article here on how to video your swing. 

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

I can see something you can work on from the down the line view. Your shoulder turn is too flat. By doing this you take yourself out of your spine angle and then you essentially try to power your swing with your arms. Keegan on the right has a steeper shoulder turn and it helps him to rotate easier and get into a more powerful position. 

Here is a good thread to read.

Thanks Chepp. If you notice my left arm never fully extends, it's because I'm already pushing my range of motion at that point. Flat and shallow is what I've always done to work around the pain. What are some things or "triggers" I could experiment with to see if I can get to his position without the clicking and cracking in the slap tear?

If you are limited by pain then you need to do whatever you can to hit the ball as best you can. I don't know the details of your injury to help you find better/other ways to hit the ball better. I guess if you cannot fix the flat shoulders in your backswing then I recommend you swing with a ball between your arms. A small ball like a kids soccer ball in order to keep your elbows together. This way you can at least use the larger muscles in your core rather than using your arms.

Michael

• Administrator
21 hours ago, Ramnation said:

If you notice my left arm never fully extends, it's because I'm already pushing my range of motion at that point. Flat and shallow is what I've always done to work around the pain.

…and…

On August 16, 2016 at 10:23 PM, Ramnation said:

Jk, but really. First post here, but not new to a forum community. Quick back ground. Played baseball til I was 24, have a slap tear in both my labrums from it, and need some help with swing path due to range of motion. My lead (left) shoulder has a tendency to click when my backswing is on the ideal path, so my natural path gets reallyyy shallow to subconsciously avoid that pain. I shoot anywhere from a 74-85 and the driver is all 11 of those strokes.

These are just excuses. And what I mean by that is…

On August 17, 2016 at 1:19 PM, mchepp said:

Your pain and any limitations are not in your hips!

Turn your hips (on their inclined angle) and your shoulders will be steeper.

You have plenty of range of motion in your shoulders. Almost too much. Because you don't use your hips.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2806 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!