IGNORED

Golf club thief picked the wrong mark - gets held at gunpoint

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2760 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just now, Strandly said:

Too bad the old man didn't simply kill the punk.  Yeah maybe that's harsh but I absolutely hate thieves.

You share a very similar attitude to my ex. She was very adamant and sincere in her wish that whoever it was that stole our property should die. I'm not nearly as bad as that, I never wished them death. 

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I used to do a lot of target shooting before I got married. Anyway, this is a big topic of discussion in that community, i.e., use of force, when to shoot, being within your rights, etc. Some of these guys obsess about it and train for it. There's a lot of ex-military and law enforcement teaching classes.

I don't have an opinion about what happened in this story - watching the video, I pretty much dislike both of these types of people.

Anyway I just wanted to say people walking around with guns are often times just as geeked out about guns as we are about golf. They know a lot about their rights.

I would like to think his threats were just to keep the thief down and scared to run until police showed up.I doubt the thief would have let himself be caught if the guy just said "you stole my clubs im calling cops.

21 minutes ago, drmevo said:

Let's think this through...say you pull your gun on the guy, with no intention of actually shooting.  Well, what happens when he has a gun of his own? I mean, we already know he's a criminal, so who's to say he's not armed? Is it really worth it over golf clubs? Either taking a life or losing your own?

It is never advisable to pull your gun unless you intend on using it if need be. 

- Shane

1 minute ago, Jeremie Boop said:

You share a very similar attitude to my ex. She was very adamant and sincere in her wish that whoever it was that stole our property should die. I'm not nearly as bad as that, I never wished them death. 

Murderers steal time when they kill someone.  Since property costs money and money takes time to acquire.. thieves, in my opinion, are simply lower level murderers.

I've only had 1 thing stolen in my life that I can think of and it was because I was naive and left my car unlocked.  It bothered me for weeks though and it has caused me to lump these people in with the worst criminals in the world.

33 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

If he walks away a warning shot most likely would halt him in his tracks. Again, I've had people steal enough from me that my tolerance for anyone who does it is next to zero. Most thieves are cowards, in my opinion, so I doubt that they'd test my resolve. Especially given the fact that my face would probably be showing quite a bit of anger and malice. It bothers me a bit that anyone would advocate that I, or anyone else, should just let a thief walk away without trying to detain them by whatever means they have available. The argument that "it's just stuff" falls flat for me. Yeah, it's just stuff, but it's stuff that I purchased with money I worked hard for. It's no different than stealing money out of my wallet. No, I'm not going to kill someone over it, but they won't necessarily know that.

Yeah, so the warning shot doesn't do it what do you do next?

13 minutes ago, Aflighter said:

I would like to think his threats were just to keep the thief down and scared to run until police showed up.I doubt the thief would have let himself be caught if the guy just said "you stole my clubs im calling cops.

Well, where does he go?  I'm assuming he would eventually get into a car of some sort right?  You take his license and you go to the cops and you explain what happened.  

Instead he will be facing a lawsuit from the kid.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

2 minutes ago, Abu3baid said:

Shoot the guy and tell the cops he made a move for what looked like a weapon.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Strandly said:

Shoot the guy and tell the cops he made a move for what looked like a weapon.

With all those witnesses?  The guy is also walking away from you, so shooting him in the back isn't going to help your case much.  Plus, what's that thing he was making a move for?  

Eventually he would crack under interrogation trust me.

Eyad

Just now, Abu3baid said:

With all those witnesses?  The guy is also walking away from you, so shooting him in the back isn't going to help your case much.  Plus, what's that thing he was making a move for?  

Eventually he would crack under interrogation trust me.

Well obviously the age of the smartphone makes it harder to pull off but the point is criminals don't play by the rule of law so if you want to win a confrontation like this then you can't either.

Jesus, lock this thread and all the dumb ass cowboy comments. Delete it even. As a gun owner, with a permit, it's unsettling. Shooting someone for golf clubs WTF.

• Upvote 4

Dave :-)

Plus, this is just assuming the guy actually stole the clubs right?

here is the scenario..

stop you stole my clubs, stop or I'll shoot..

**** you, I didn't steal your clubs I'm out.

Stop or I'll shoot.. 

Bang bang..

afterwords, turns out that yeah the club was his, but the guy had just purchased it on Craigslist and was taking it in to the store for what ever reason.

cool, you just killed someone who didn't even steal your stuff because you wanted to play detective and abuse the privilege of owning a guy vigilante man.  :)

Eyad

15 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

It is never advisable to pull your gun unless you intend on using it if need be. 

Right, exactly.  Worth it in cases like this? I would hope most people would say no.

3 minutes ago, Abu3baid said:

Pretty sure I answered that already when I said I'm not going to kill anyone over stealing from me. That and if I were to "wing him" or whatever I know that I just opened myself up to a lawsuit. Besides, at that point I would assume there would be a lot more people outside to witness what was going on so I would have help keeping him around. I'm not going to pull a gun when I have other people who can help me, the gun is more in the case that it's only me *or me and my g/f, wife, kids, etc* and the thief. 

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Just now, drmevo said:

Right, exactly.  Worth it in cases like this? I would hope most people would say no.

I'm guessing this guy had other issues. Anger management... mental... ptsd... who knows. 

- Shane

1 minute ago, mcanadiens said:

So @Abu3baid, you'd just let the thief have it?

No, as I said I would take the license plate and let it play out instead of putting my self Ina position I could get shot by the thief or by the cops or some other bystander who also had a gun..

here is another scenario.. I pull the gun and some other law inforcement officer is in the area he sees me flashing a wepon so he comes over gun drawn and now we have a big mess on our hands.

Eyad

3 minutes ago, Abu3baid said:

take the license plate

What the heck good is a license plate going to do you?

Maybe things are different in the KSA, but the cops here don't investigate theft.

Note: This thread is 2760 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!