IGNORED

Tricking a Competitor

HonestyPolicy
Note: This thread is 2819 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Let's face it, there are many that do not know much of what is in the rule book. I can certainly understand why. The rule book is big, with lots of rules, and in the end it all relies on ones ability to be aware and honest. I'll say that most I've played with are honest, but they are not necessarily aware. Still there are those who believe in winning no matter what and they use all the tricks in their bags to win including misleading their opponents.

So what are the tricks (cheating or not) you've seen others use on their competitors in order to gain themselves an advantage. I'll go first:

1 - Telling an opponent to go ahead and chip or putt first when that opponent he is clearly not away, in order to get a reading on the speed or the break of the green

2 - Opponent1 telling opponent2 that he is going to identify his ball in the rough, and then improving his lie when opponent2 is not watching closely

3 - Picking up his ball when it's clear he's going to card a number larger than ESC will allow him to enter into his handicap tracking system, and carding the lower number in order to artificially reduce his carded score

4 - Taking more than the allowed distance in making a drop

5 - In match play, a competitor1 is losing, so on the 14th hole he calls competitor2r for grounding his putter just in front of the ball which is clearly his normal routine as he is not pressing down or doing anything that could be interpreted as improving his line. But because competitor2 is not fully aware of the rules, he becomes nervous that he will be penalized on every hole and subsequently loses the next 3 holes making the match close. In the end competitor2 wins the match and competitor1 does not approach the committee. Later competitor1 admits he felt he had to do "something" to get competitor2 off his game and that he knew it was not a penalty but he is proud that it almost worked!

What else have some of you seen?

The only trickery I have ever used on another player during a competitive round was patience. That, and keeping the pressure on them, by playing my own, consistent game. 

There was a time years ago when matches were arrange by word of mouth between different, unknown to each other, players. We didn't play for money. Maybe for food/beverages at the 19th. Just personal bragging rights, and the competitive value these serious matches would deliver. 

As for actual trickery, there were a few exploding powder golf balls that had replaced the real ball. Maybe hiding a player's favorite wedge from him. However these were all among good golfing friends just out goofing off. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 -  I witnessed someone know that a competitor was hitting the wrong ball, watched him swing and before the ball hit the ground informed him of a 2 shot penalty.   

2 -  I am not making this up.  In a caddy match someone hit a white ball into the woods, claimed he found it and hit an orange ball out.

• Upvote 1

—Adam

I did not witness this but it occurred in a 2-person best ball.  A player from each team was in the fairway and a player from each team was further up but in the rough. Team A drove up and parked next to one of the balls in the fairway which was a bit ahead of the other ball laying in the fairway and waited. Team B drove up and one of their members prepared to play.  The only problem was the shorter ball was NOT his.  It was the other team's.  Accident or an attempt to lure the other team into hitting the wrong ball?

During a scramble with a limit to how low a team's combined handicap could be, a 20 handicapper never teed off.  They said there was no point once they had a good drive.  Eventually, the team's other 3 members hit lousy tees shots on a 215 yard par 3.  The 20 capper got up and hit a 6 iron to 5 feet.  The team was trying to hide their ringer by only using him on approaches & putting.  Busted.

Brian Kuehn

• Administrator
1 hour ago, HonestyPolicy said:

1 - Telling an opponent to go ahead and chip or putt first when that opponent he is clearly not away, in order to get a reading on the speed or the break of the green

In stroke play that's fine, and the other guy can refuse, but this is the only thing in your list that really even stays within the boundaries of the Rules of Golf and thus would satisfy what I feel like the topic is: "trickery" but staying inside the rules.

In match play it's fine too, because the opponent can also say "no, you're away." And should, if they know the rules. If you ask them to go, too, you give up the right to force them to cancel and replay their stroke.

You use the word "opponent" which implies match play, btw.

2 - Opponent1 telling opponent2 that he is going to identify his ball in the rough, and then improving his lie when opponent2 is not watching closely

That's not trickery. That's breaking the Rules of Golf.

3 - Picking up his ball when it's clear he's going to card a number larger than ESC will allow him to enter into his handicap tracking system, and carding the lower number in order to artificially reduce his carded score

Also not trickery, and has nothing to do with the match at hand, but helps the guy… what… get a lower vanity handicap? Why?

4 - Taking more than the allowed distance in making a drop

Against the Rules of Golf. Not "trickery."

5 - In match play, a competitor1 is losing, so on the 14th hole he calls competitor2r for grounding his putter just in front of the ball which is clearly his normal routine as he is not pressing down or doing anything that could be interpreted as improving his line. But because competitor2 is not fully aware of the rules, he becomes nervous that he will be penalized on every hole and subsequently loses the next 3 holes making the match close. In the end competitor2 wins the match and competitor1 does not approach the committee. Later competitor1 admits he felt he had to do "something" to get competitor2 off his game and that he knew it was not a penalty but he is proud that it almost worked!

That's also against the Rules of Golf and not really "tricking" anyone. "competitor1" is a sleaze ball.

• Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

We have a few people who don't do trickery (not sure I've ever heard of anyone using trickery during a match), but cheat frequently:

We have a player at our course who is known for identifying his ball and coming up with a much better lie.  Until this year he was banned from playing in our group because of this.  He might finally have gotten the message, as he is playing at times again.

And then there is also another guy who is famous for marking his ball on the green closer to the hole then he is if no one is around to see him.  He's been caught a few times, but I'm sure he still does it when the opportunity presents itself.   He's a high handicapper and he's always in different flights, but I wouldn't play with him ever. 

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

Also not trickery, and has nothing to do with the match at hand, but helps the guy… what… get a lower vanity handicap? Why?

Actually I don't quite understand the situation here.  Unless it's a stroke play match or tournament that doesn't restrict to ESC, then why does this matter?  The weekly Saturday game at my place caps the money game to ESC, so if someone is going to make a 10 and their ESC is  7 then they can pick up after the 7 and it affects nothing.   They post the 7 in the handicap system.  If you are playing match play and you are at this point it doesn't affect the match.

By saying carded score, is the assumption that it's either bragging rights "I shot a 85 today!", when the extra shots would have made it a 90 or something?  Or that the non-ESC score is used for some type of winnings?   The former is that person being boorish, the latter should have never allowed him to take ESC to begin with and the rules for what you are playing in should make that clear.

Also the most common one I have seen at my place is people grounding their club in a hazard of bunker, but only if you aren't near them.  I've played with them enough to not see them do it, but if you walk closer while they are addressing, or look through a range finder from 100 yards away, it's pretty obvious.

—Adam

36 minutes ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

Say "Ever since you put that little hitch in your top swing your really killing the ball."

And I would reply "yeah I know. Been saving me 2 strokes a side"......:-D

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

On 8/18/2016 at 7:03 AM, imsys0042 said:

1 -  I witnessed someone know that a competitor was hitting the wrong ball, watched him swing and before the ball hit the ground informed him of a 2 shot penalty.   

James Bond waited a little longer than that to tell Goldfinger that he hit the wrong ball.

Bond also cheated, so... 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

15 minutes ago, Shindig said:

James Bond waited a little longer than that to tell Goldfinger that he hit the wrong ball.

Bond also cheated, so... 

Like when Bond dropped a Nazi gold bar on the green and Goldfinger missed his 1 foot putt on the 16th? :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Just now, Lihu said:

Like when Bond dropped a Nazi gold bar on the green and Goldfinger missed his 1 foot putt? :-D

My first thought was when Bond found Goldfinger's ball, stood on it, and didn't inform him.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

3 minutes ago, Shindig said:

My first thought was when Bond found Goldfinger's ball, stood on it, and didn't inform him.  

"You were playing a Slazenger 1 were you not?. . .I'm afraid you lose the hole and the match. . ." THUNK. :-D

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

28 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Bond also cheated, so... 

That is because he had already caught Goldfinger using his caddy to cheat when they found Goldfingers real ball. The caddy dropped one out his pants and pretended to find it. "You play a Slazenger 1 don't you?"

10 hours ago, Gator Hazard said:

That is because he had already caught Goldfinger using his caddy to cheat when they found Goldfingers real ball. The caddy dropped one out his pants and pretended to find it. "You play a Slazenger 1 don't you?"

Oh, Auric was a cheat too, yes.  And I was wrong about where Bond cheated;  he did so by changing the ball Auric was playing.  Maybe later I should look up both what Palmer says about this (he talks about the incident in one of his books) and watch that scene again in the movie (and/or read it). 

-- Michael | My swing! 

Note: This thread is 2819 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!