IGNORED

Russel Knox Comments about Ryder Cup

JodieMudd
Note: This thread is 2794 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

“There is a moral obligation to pick me, I guess,” Knox told Golf Digest. “I don’t want Darren to pick me because of that, though. His goal is to pick the three best players who did not make the team. And I have a hard time not thinking I am one of those right now.

“What I also have going against me is that I am maybe not super-close with a lot of guys on the team. I know people are assuming I am the third of the picks if he goes for Lee Westwood and Martin Kaymer. But I should really be the first.”

If ever there is a reason not to give a guy a pick, these comments are it..... What an 'a' hole

Maybe thinks a lot of himself but he is correct, he should be the top pick from a perfomance standpoint, #20 OWGR.  Considering chemistry, however, and Cup experience, perhaps not.  My guess is these comments probably scuttled his chances. 

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Russel Knox Comments about Ryder Cup
1 hour ago, Gunther said:

Maybe thinks a lot of himself but he is correct, he should be the top pick from a perfomance standpoint, #20 OWGR.  Considering chemistry, however, and Cup experience, perhaps not.  My guess is these comments probably scuttled his chances. 

I don't know much about it, but if their captain chooses against somebody because that somebody is cocky or an "ahole" then their captain is stupid.

Making the safe pick who everybody likes is how you get crap like Jim Furyk on your team.  Who wants a team full of nice losers?

Like I said, I don't really know much about it but for their sake, if they choose against him, I sure hope it's not because of him being overconfident.

• Upvote 1

I would've liked to see Knox or Pieters qualify automatically instead of Sullivan or maybe Fitzpatrick.

It will be hard not to pick Kaymer and Westwood because of experience. Pieters is in great form and seems like a good lad, so I think Darren will go with him on his third pick

Yes the PGA Tour is a higher standard than the European Tour, and yes Knox has won recently, but I don't think he's that special a player. He's a bit of a journeyman who is having a good bit of form, and not remotely intimidating.

Just as importantly, he has only been a member of the European Tour for a short period of time. He only joined when he thought he had a good shot of qualifying for the team, which is a bit opportunistic if you ask me.

8 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

I don't know much about it, but if their captain chooses against somebody because that somebody is cocky or an "ahole" then their captain is stupid.

Making the safe pick who everybody likes is how you get crap like Jim Furyk on your team.  Who wants a team full of nice losers?

Like I said, I don't really know much about it but for their sake, if they choose against him, I sure hope it's not because of him being overconfident.

Not because of his overconfidence, per se, but there was a lot in those comments relative to bonding with the team and it's captain.  If DC doesn't know him well, and I suspect he doesn't, I believe those comments did not go over well.  He may have never had a chance, esp with Peters winning last week, but I'm guessing those remarks did not help his cause any.

• Upvote 1

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

You can pick someone who talks like that if they can back it up with stellar play AND it doesn't bother other people on the team.  If it takes away from the overall team mood, then he might have warranted not being chosen despite his ranking.

Lots of brilliant people in my field who don't get what they might deserve because of personality flaws that go uncorrected or they don't play politics well.  Is that fair?  maybe, maybe not.  But comments and attitudes like that can hurt you.

—Adam

Also read that Knox was asked by Clarke and Poulter to play Wyndham, but he declined. In light of his comments and declining to play it's no surprise that Clarke went with Pieters.

Go team Europe!

The comments were not what a captain wants to see from the guy on the bubble.  Even if what Knox said is true, calling out Westwood and Kaymer was foolish as it would impact team unity.  

Joe Paradiso

Russel should have kept quiet and got on with it.

There is always someone who's going to dip out.Pieters deserves it.

Let's see if Knox devotes himself to the Euro tour over the next 2 years and go for an automatic spot in France.

LOL,Idoubt it.

What Knox doesn't realize it's NOT the 3 best guys that get picked. It's the 3 RIGHT guys. The 3 guys who best fit the rest of the team and have the experience to help the team. Chemistry is important in the Ryder Cup. It's one of the reasons why Europe always kicks our butt. And Knox's comments prove that's not a strength of his.

Edited by ChrisP

Note: This thread is 2794 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!