IGNORED

New Club Set/Clubs

jbc410
Note: This thread is 2743 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello,

I'm Jack, and I'm an intermediate golfer. I know how to play the game and I'm just working on improving my mechanics and such. However, my clubs are a clear beginning set and are absolute crap and I need some suggestions on clubs. I have a budget of about $400-500. I am fine with a complete set, or a mix of wood, iron, and wedge sets and a driver. I'm looking for whatever gets me the most for my money. For irons, I'd prefer graphite, but I'm fine with whatever.

Please send me either a complete set or parts to make a set and the total price.

Thanks,

Jack

Glad you want to upgrade, but you give us no info about yourself or your golf game.

You would be better off to go to a local golf shop. Tell them you want to try out some good quality used clubs, and that you have $500 to spend. A good clubfitter can have you hit some shots to get baseline date on clubhead speed, stance, etc., and have you test out some clubs that fit your swing and build.

As for sending you components to build your own clubs, you would need training/coaching to build clubs properly. If you throw together a set of clubs, and the 5-iron head flies off and hits someone in the face, you could get sued big-time.

Let us know how things work out.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I wanted to replace my bag a couple of years ago I was  just starting to play regularly. I wanted better clubs but didn't think I was good enough yet to spend more than the $400/500 you are planning on spending. A friend said try some Adams clubs because there were really good deals out there and he said he thought some of their clubs were real sleepers. I tried some of their clubs found ones that I liked. I was able to stay in budget and the clubs have really helped my game.

DRIVER- Tour Edge EXS 220
3W- Adams Tight Lies 2
Hybrids- Cobra F8 19 *

Utility- Sub 70 699U #4
Irons - Sub 70 739 5-PW
Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54, 58
Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft #11

Ball- Titleist DT Trufeel

I like Ping, Miura and Mizuno.  Go to a golf store and hit what they will let you and then check Ebay and Craigslist and you should find something in your price range.

• Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

If you don't mind me asking, why are you current clubs "absolute crap?" 

I can play now within maybe a couple strokes with anybody's clubs. I've gone back to my old Adams set for 9 holes before which was $140 brand new SW-5i and an old Callaway Diablo octane driver, 3w, and 5w for maybe $150 total and still shot a decent 9 holes. 

Personal opinion here, but I believe 85%-95% of game improvement comes with swing work. Not so much the equipment. 

$500 you should be looking used equipment. Try craigslist and ebay from verified sources (although craigslist is a bit of a gamble but if you know what you're looking for and what questions to ask it can be done). I bought an r11 for $90 and an r1 for maybe $95 I think. Both were hit maybe 20 times and the guy didnt like them. Mint condition. The deals are out there. And really, they're pretty plentiful. I bought my r9 iron set for $140 I think, used but in pristine condition. 

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

I'd say ebay is your best bet assuming you know have an idea of what you need in terms of shaft flex and lofts for your woods. If you don't, you should probably go to whatever golf store you typically buy things from and see if they can help you with that info. Some stores also have a pretty decent used club section so they may be able to put a set together for you in your price range. 

Going to give you some advise that comes from playing this game all my life. Best I ever scored was an 81, but when I play often I am a consistent ball striker.  So take it all with a grain of salt and do your own research.  Oh I don't cheat either. : )

First rule of business, there are no shortcuts in this game. So please find you a pro that stresses fundamentals, build a foundation, then work from there.  

Now comes the equipment. You can't learn the fundamentals with "improvement" clubs. Most of us start with the dreaded slice, but with practice we learn to swing properly and at some point learn to even draw the ball. Buying a club with 2 degrees of closed face will only work temporarily. If you don't correct a slice with your swing, eventually you will be slicing with that "improvement" 2 degree closed offset club. You don't want to be that guy so don't waste your money on that. 

You can find pro line used older sets online for $150 or less in good/playable condition. But honestly I would even suggest picking up a nice 5 & 7 or 8 iron for less than 50 dollars shipped. No joke, that is all you need to learn the fundamentals. Learn to hit those clubs consistenly with a proper swing and then you can think about a full set.

Please, stay  away from club fitters. I didn't miss out qualifying for the tour because I picked the wrong clubs, and neither did anyone else. And telling a clubfitter you have $500 to spend is like telling a car salesman how much you can spend monthly on a car. 

Do your own research and practice practice practice. 

$500 is actually not as difficult of a budget to work with as you would think. If you don't mind models that are a 2-3 years old you can pick up a full bag for that price point. For instance the 2014 Mizuno JPX-EZ cast iron set 4-GW is $299.99....Last year's Tour Edge Hot Launch irons are only $299 for 8 irons on the same site.

I paid almost $3k on my clubs so I have nowhere to talk.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Note: This thread is 2743 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!