IGNORED

Unpopular opinions you have about golf?

StefanUrkel
Note: This thread is 2626 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On December 19, 2016 at 1:34 PM, CarlSpackler said:

I will go back to what I said earlier. It's not hard to hit a golf ball. I see many people on the course who can hardly hit the ball, but they are out there doing it. I am a crappy bowler, but I do it occasionally for... fun? I will go back to the guys I played with yesterday that thought I was putting on a show when I thought I was hacking it around quite a bit. It all depends on your level of play. One thing I've learned here is to listen to the people who are playing at a level way above where I am. They were here once too and have progressed. Rome was not built in a day, and neither is a golf swing.

It's easy to hit a golf ball, I do it almost a hundred times a round. :-)

• Upvote 3
my get up and go musta got up and went..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
2 hours ago, inthehole said:

I think you have to define "play well" .  If you mean scratch or better, yes I would agree.   If you mean play reasonably proficient (which is where I'm at - much better than most, not as good as some), it's achievable for most.   Personally, I think if a person is generally athletic with good hand eye coordination & dedicates themselves to playing ALOT, they can be reasonably proficient at golf.

I would say that you're close to competent (still not there, though), but you've got a long ways toward playing golf "well."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Glad to see a few support my long-time view that golf is not that hard.  It's the easiest of all the big sports.  Consider that there are probably a couple hundred thousand active professional golfers in the world.  What other sport could boast that?

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Gunther said:

It's the easiest of all the big sports.  Consider that there are probably a couple hundred thousand active professional golfers in the world.  What other sport could boast that?

By what measure is it the "easiest"?

A lot of people have opportunities to play professionally. The same is not true of many other sports. That has nothing to do with how easy or difficult the sport is to play.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

20 minutes ago, Gunther said:

Glad to see a few support my long-time view that golf is not that hard.  It's the easiest of all the big sports.  Consider that there are probably a couple hundred thousand active professional golfers in the world.  What other sport could boast that?

If you make the definition of professional receiving money to play a sport, I'd wager that soccer dwarfs that number.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

By what measure is it the "easiest"?

A lot of people have opportunities to play professionally. The same is not true of many other sports. That has nothing to do with how easy or difficult the sport is to play.

In my view, if there are hundreds of thousands of people capable of rising to the level of professional in a sport, that, almost by definition, classifies it as not hard.  

Just because a pro football player can't play golf doesn't make it hard.  I know of no pro golfer who could aspire to a professional level in any other sport (although there may be a couple).  Plenty of other athletes have moved from their sport to become pro golfers or at least good enough to compete with pros.

It ain't that hard if you have time and money, desire and passion tinged with some athletic ability.  None of those drivers would allow Rory to become a pro soccer player.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Gunther said:

In my view, if there are hundreds of thousands of people capable of rising to the level of professional in a sport, that, almost by definition, classifies it as not hard.

So, becoming a doctor is ridiculously easy, then. Heck, there are like 15 million of them!

There are a reasonable number of professional golfers because there's the money to support them. It's not at all a measurement of how difficult the sport is.

If I could magically create 200,000 paying jobs for the best 200,000 disc golfers, the sport's difficulty wouldn't change one iota. The standard of play would increase over time, as competition for those paying spots rose, but the core difficulty wouldn't change.

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

So, becoming a doctor is ridiculously easy, then. Heck, there are like 15 million of them!

There are a reasonable number of professional golfers because there's the money to support them. It's not at all a measurement of how difficult the sport is.

If I could magically create 200,000 paying jobs for the best 200,000 disc golfers, the sport's difficulty wouldn't change one iota. The standard of play would increase over time, as competition for those paying spots rose, but the core difficulty wouldn't change.

I don't agree.  And, I didn't see a counter to the rest of my argument.

DJ could not beat 1 NBA player 1 on 1; however, Steph Marbury might beat him 1 or 2 times out of 10 on the golf course.  Similarly, not one golfer could hit a HR off John Smoltz, but he may beat a tour player some percentage of the time, hell, if it's Bowditch, I'd give Smoltzie about a 50/50 shot.  

Many millions of people can play professional-level golf (perhaps not consistently), I've beat golf pros and I'm not that good.  

Not true with any other sport.

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, Gunther said:

I don't agree.  And, I didn't see a counter to the rest of my argument.

Then read it again?

DJ could not beat 1 NBA player 1 on 1; however, Steph Marbury might beat him 1 or 2 times out of 10 on the golf course.

Neither of those are facts, but you state them as if they are.

Similarly, not one golfer could hit a HR off John Smoltz, but he may beat a tour player some percentage of the time, hell, if it's Bowditch, I'd give Smoltzie about a 50/50 shot.

Sure they could. And I'd take your even money bet every day of the week and laugh all the way to the bank.

Many millions of people can play professional-level golf (perhaps not consistently), I've beat golf pros and I'm not that good.

Further proof you didn't read (or understand, anyway) what I wrote. Typical.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Gunther said:

Not true with any other sport.

There are tons and tons of people who play professional in other sports. Just because it isn't the major brand/company (NFL, NHL, MLB, etc) doesn't mean its not professional.

Edited by JxQx

22 minutes ago, Gunther said:

You've beaten PGA Tour level pros with no handicap adjustment. LOL! 

I've won the Master in my dreams too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

39 minutes ago, Gunther said:

DJ could not beat 1 NBA player 1 on 1; however, Steph Marbury might beat him 1 or 2 times out of 10 on the golf course.  Similarly, not one golfer could hit a HR off John Smoltz, but he may beat a tour player some percentage of the time, hell, if it's Bowditch, I'd give Smoltzie about a 50/50 shot.

You are not comparing the same kinds of things-DJ probably does not practice basketball or play very much. John Smoltz played golf like 3x a week or more for decades. He has thousands and thousands of hours practicing golf while PGA Tour players have maybe zero hours practicing hitting.

Stupid comparison.

Not one NBA player who has almost never played golf could beat DJ at golf.-There is your fair comparison.

• Upvote 2

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

4 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

You've beaten PGA Tour level pros with no handicap adjustment. LOL! 

I've won the Master in my dreams too.

I guess I've accomplished the goal of coming up with an unpopular opinion.  Even got a snide comment from our site owner, yessir!

Never beat a touring pro and not saying that I ever could but I play regularly with a teaching pro and yes, I beat him 10 to 20% of the time we play.  There is no other sport on the planet where I could compete with anyone at a professional level.

The "golf is hard" mantra was made up by people who have no ability and egotistical golf pros.  It just ain't that tough, evidenced by the millions and millions who play to a single digit handicap.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Gunther said:

Never beat a touring pro and not saying that I ever could but I play regularly with a teaching pro

He's an instructor, not a professional player. The number of people earning a living playing golf is significantly smaller.

And as I pointed out, if I could wave a magic wand and make the top 10% of any sport "professionals," that wouldn't do anything to change the inherent difficulty of the sport. Bam! I just waved my wand and made every serious darts player a professional. Darts is now the easiest sport in the world, by your reasoning.

It doesn't work that way.

There is no other sport on the planet where I could compete with anyone at a professional level.

You've spent thousands of dollars and hours practicing and playing golf. You're not just some guy picking up the game and suddenly beating people.

You probably can't teach as well as he does, either, which is his true profession.

The "golf is hard" mantra was made up by people who have no ability and egotistical golf pros.

So when John Smoltz says golf is hard, which of them is he?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/686011-john-smoltz-performance-proves-again-how-hard-it-is-to-play-professional-golf

I'll save you the click: he played a Web.com Tour event and missed the cut by 27 shots. He shot 84-87.

Which one is this guy? http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_worlds_hardest_most_difficult_sport.htm

It just ain't that tough, evidenced by the millions and millions who play to a single digit handicap.

You apparently consider yourself a good golfer.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Gunther said:

Never beat a touring pro and not saying that I ever could but I play regularly with a teaching pro and yes, I beat him 10 to 20% of the time we play.  There is no other sport on the planet where I could compete with anyone at a professional level.

Well a teaching pro isn't a playing pro. That's no different than me beating a pro basketball coach in 1 on 1.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Gunther said:

I guess I've accomplished the goal of coming up with an unpopular opinion.

Unpopular or just stupid?

There is a difference.

• Upvote 3

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

I guess I've accomplished the goal of coming up with an unpopular opinion.  Even got a snide comment from our site owner, yessir!

Bravo, Gunthman, bravo!

*slow clap*

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

52 minutes ago, Ernest Jones said:

Bravo, Gunthman, bravo!

*slow clap*

All my fans came out of their hovels for this one.  Lol

Note: This thread is 2626 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!