IGNORED

Panhandlers, solicitors, and the Holidays

Hacker James
Note: This thread is 2700 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

the other day, I was outside a bank using the ATM for a deposit. A woman with infant child was sitting against a post. As I was making the deposit, she asked "In the name of God, can you help me for my child's sake" or something like that. I had already made the deposit and it was all the cash I had with me. I told her, "sorry, not today, I can't".  I was walking around the strip mall and felt guilty about not helping her, which is something I usually do not feel. For some reason or other, it just plagued me.  I then looked all around the mall and she was gone, it was only ten minutes or so, but I could not find her anywhere. Oh well....

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have been burnt before, not during the holiday though. There was a woman asking for help to get a bus ticket to get away from an abusive man. I have a sort of soft spot for that situation so I gave her the extra money I had at the time. Unfortunately I later heard that someone else had the same experience a couple days later. In those situations I find it difficult to say no though, because even the small chance of helping someone get out of an abusive situation is worth the small amount of money given. I've occasionally given money to someone, but since I rarely carry cash it doesn't happen very often. Again, the way I look at it is that small amount of money really means little to me but if the person is really in need then it means a lot to them.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

On 12/18/2016 at 10:39 PM, Patch said:

My wife, through out the year, volunteers a lot of time to various charities. Salvation Army gets a donation from both of us. 

If she runs across a panhandler/beggar, she will  give them a card with a phone number, and address where the person can go for positive help. Now sometimes she will run into a person who only wants cash. It's her opinion that it's these folks who are the fakes. 

Your wife is right. The only reason these people want cash only is so they can go buy booze or drugs!

On 12/19/2016 at 0:05 AM, gatsby47 said:

I give to the Sally Ann several times during the holiday season.  I bring requested items to the Fredericton SPCA from their website and I give them a weekly amount through the United Way but named them specifically to ensure that it doesn't go corporate.  But it is difficult to contribute to the groups asking for donations.  I give to the Army Cadets and the Sea Cadets if they tell me what the money will be used for.  Sports teams I do not give.  I supported my kids teams all through their childhood.  I too despise Wal Mart and Loblaws for asking for money at the checkout counters.  I have no problem any longer to say no.  Beggars are a different source for sure.  I encountered a man begging in Honolulu.  Nice cigar, great tan, not bad clothing, and a styrene cup.  He looked like he didn't care if you gave or not.  I have come to the conclusion that if you are a beggar, go to Honolulu. and be down by the Hilton Village.

My buddy and his wife spent their honeymoon in Hawaii. One week they spent at the Turtle Bay resort on the north shore. Idyllic! The second week was spent at the Hilton Village just outside Honolulu. He told me that the week at Hilton Village was like living in a slum! Bums and grifters all over the place! People getting mugged on the beach, and someone tried to mug them!

A lot of "charity" has become a total scam! My next door neighbor told me about a guy who has been setting up next to the local Burger King at a major intersection. She told me that, one day, she pulled up behind another vehicle, and here's this guy, who she knows owns a house on the next block, holding a sign saying "HOMELESS VET! PLEASE HELP!

The vehicle in front of her seemed willing to give something. She slammed her car in park, running up to tell them not to give this scammer a dime! He told her to mind her own business, but she said "This is my business! You trying to steal from honest, working people is my business!"

I tend to support national charities.  Good Will, Salvation Army and Red Cross. 

As for panhandlers, I am weary of giving them cash, but I will buy them food when I have a chance.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Went into the City to visit a friend and saw more than one working the street corners. Somebody darn near caused an accident slowing down to hand em money. The fella behind em waiting got a bit of the road rage. 

8 hours ago, Yukari said:

I tend to support national charities.  Good Will, Salvation Army and Red Cross. 

As for panhandlers, I am weary of giving them cash, but I will buy them food when I have a chance.

Now that's another point! If they will accept food and a drink from you then they truly need help! My Mom ran into that in NYC. The guy she handed a half a corned beef sandwich and cup of hot coffee to acted like she had given him a million dollars!

I saw the opposite in Cincinnati. I was down there for a convention, and while walking back to the hotel spotted a panhandler who's face I knew. He was holding a sign that read, "Why lie? I want booze!"

When I was about 15 I worked for my step dad who owmed his own business. Twas the week before Christmas and I suggested we help the less fortunate living under a downtown bridge just two blocks away. My step dad then drove up and offerred them 25 dollars an hour and a hot meal to come build a fence for our business. He said just walk down to the big red building right over there and we will get started. At noon when we broke for lunch, he asked if anyone showed. I replied no, and thats when he told me they didnt show cus theyre too lazy to earn a living through work. He said give to charity, give to church, and volunteer, NEVER give to bums. Valuable life lesson and something Ill never forget. 

Note: This thread is 2700 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!