IGNORED

Panhandlers, solicitors, and the Holidays

Hacker James
Note: This thread is 2700 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Shopping malls, banks, CVS, Walmart. Seems to be a deluge of homeless, down and outers this time of year. 

I can appreciate  the plight of people only trying to get by, have something for their kids, feed their families, but the more I look, the more I see how organized they are. Husband and wife (supposedly) teams, splitting up the kids, different locations within the same locale. Some bearing veteran signs, disabled, out of work, hungry, you name it.  Then there are the truly needy disbursed within the throngs, trying to compete. How do you distinguish? 

I suppose if I felt the rare moment of compassion, I should just act on it in some small way and hope my efforts do not go to waste. In other words, "Judge not nor seek recompense".

I am sometimes tempted to put on a suit and vest, shined shoes, and carry a sign stating  "Out of work, CEO" anything will help. I would wager, I would receive a tidy sum by the end of the day. Reminds me of the homeless, ex-radio announcer, that made his way to Dr Phil, got cleaned up, found a decent job, and then had an alcoholic relapse. (which was totally predicted by Dr. Phil).

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The local newspaper did a report a few years ago about people begging for money at busy intersections.   Somehow they determined that some of the people were bringing in almost $600 / day!   Needless to say the community leaders put an end to the begging.   

I'd personally buy somebody a meal or clothes but won't hand over cash unless it's to something like Salvation Army.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

The transient community is just that.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I have a hard time giving them money only because it is so difficult to tell who really needs it and who is using those funds for other things like drugs. I have given a few some money here and there on a judgement call but prefer to do charity through work or church. 

The thing recently that upsets me is how you can't go to the grocery store (and I am not talking about around the holidays, I mean every day, every weekend) without some organization wanting money at both doors and then the obligatory checkout line ask for charity donation too. South Park, which I normally don't watch, did an episode on it and was hysterical. I want to help, am able to help, like to help, but I can't donate to a minimum of two charities (one at door and one at check out) every single time I go shopping. 

5 hours ago, dennyjones said:

The local newspaper did a report a few years ago about people begging for money at busy intersections.   Somehow they determined that some of the people were bringing in almost $600 / day!   Needless to say the community leaders put an end to the begging.   

I'd personally buy somebody a meal or clothes but won't hand over cash unless it's to something like Salvation Army.   

I've heard stories like this but they don't seem right. I typically see the best pan handlers getting the occasional dollar bill - say every 15 minutes or so.  Not $75 per hour.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

5 hours ago, Gator Hazard said:

I have a hard time giving them money only because it is so difficult to tell who really needs it and who is using those funds for other things like drugs. I have given a few some money here and there on a judgement call but prefer to do charity through work or church. 

The thing recently that upsets me is how you can't go to the grocery store (and I am not talking about around the holidays, I mean every day, every weekend) without some organization wanting money at both doors and then the obligatory checkout line ask for charity donation too. South Park, which I normally don't watch, did an episode on it and was hysterical. I want to help, am able to help, like to help, but I can't donate to a minimum of two charities (one at door and one at check out) every single time I go shopping. 

I feel the same way, the only charity i give money too is the Salvation Army and only because of my Dad.  My Dad's was 10 when his dad passed after being severely injured after falling off a roof while doing construction work.  As one of 8 kids, he told me that if it wasn't for the SA, they wouldn't have had much.  So I have a soft spot for them.  So I always give them money.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

On 12/15/2016 at 5:39 PM, Gator Hazard said:

This is a good point. My next door neighbor saw a guy panhandling at a local intersection. His sign said, "HOMELESS, Please Help!" My next door neighbor happened to pull up and see him, and also saw the vehicle in front of her ready to give him some money.

The only problem was that the guy lives just a block away! He's retired and owns his home! He just does this to augment his Social Security! Scam artists are everywhere!

8 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

This is a good point. My next door neighbor saw a guy panhandling at a local intersection. His sign said, "HOMELESS, Please Help!" My next door neighbor happened to pull up and see him, and also saw the vehicle in front of her ready to give him some money.

The only problem was that the guy lives just a block away! He's retired and owns his home! He just does this to augment his Social Security! Scam artists are everywhere!

I always look at the clothes, especially shoes. Real homeless people don't wear expensive sneakers.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

In the spirit of Holidays.  Panhandlers sometimes, food banks yes, children's gifts sometimes assigned to us.  Salvation Army donations too, do make a difference.

Everyday, cautiously. 

15 hours ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

I used to give to a couple national charities, but about ten years ago I picked a local food bank to support. I know the folks that run it and I know the money stays in my community.

That's kind of my gig as well. The local Salvation Army, or a local food bank or homeless shelter. Some charity other than where the "administrators" are getting fat while everyone else starves!

My wife, through out the year, volunteers a lot of time to various charities. Salvation Army gets a donation from both of us. 

If she runs across a panhandler/beggar, she will  give them a card with a phone number, and address where the person can go for positive help. Now sometimes she will run into a person who only wants cash. It's her opinion that it's these folks who are the fakes. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I give to the Sally Ann several times during the holiday season.  I bring requested items to the Fredericton SPCA from their website and I give them a weekly amount through the United Way but named them specifically to ensure that it doesn't go corporate.  But it is difficult to contribute to the groups asking for donations.  I give to the Army Cadets and the Sea Cadets if they tell me what the money will be used for.  Sports teams I do not give.  I supported my kids teams all through their childhood.  I too despise Wal Mart and Loblaws for asking for money at the checkout counters.  I have no problem any longer to say no.  Beggars are a different source for sure.  I encountered a man begging in Honolulu.  Nice cigar, great tan, not bad clothing, and a styrene cup.  He looked like he didn't care if you gave or not.  I have come to the conclusion that if you are a beggar, go to Honolulu. and be down by the Hilton Village.

I have a reoccurring monthly donation setup for my local childrens' hospital. I don't do anything in particular for Xmas, but I might start. A friend of my sponsors a family every year with presents for all the kids and a gift certificate for the parents. I might start to do that too. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

2 minutes ago, Ernest Jones said:

I have a reoccurring monthly donation setup for my local childrens' hospital. I don't do anything in particular for Xmas, but I might start. A friend of my sponsors a family every year with presents for all the kids and a gift certificate for the parents. I might start to do that too. 

The adults in my family decided to do charitable donations in lieu of Christmas presents this year. Same with some friends. We don't need anything and the money can really help others.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I tend to go with my gut reaction, but I don't carry cash with me to give. I would suggest giving to a local charity or food bank and volunteer there if you feel moved to help out. 

- Shane

The sad fact is that an awfully high percentage of beggars are serious drug abusers. You give em cash and they'll likely turn that into more heroin.

Its a far better thing to figure out who does the best charity work in your particular area and support that organization.

Note: This thread is 2700 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!