IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1028 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The course for a US Open is typically set up to be extremely penalizing.  They usually have narrow fairways, ridiculously long rough and greens that are greasy fast like ice rinks.   I don't think that compares in any way to the courses we are playing on or as bogey golfers, should be trying to play.

True, but what I'm getting at is that they tend to struggle the same way your average player does on normal courses. I would think that stats from pros on courses like that are something more realistic to aim for as bogey golfers. Just a thought, though.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

True, but what I'm getting at is that they tend to struggle the same way your average player does on normal courses. I would think that stats from pros on courses like that are something more realistic to aim for as bogey golfers. Just a thought, though.

Yea, but the winner "struggles" at around even par over four days. I'd love to struggle like that. I probably would have shot 120 at Merion.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Had a nightmare weekend for my golf.

Competition 1 - Turkey Trot (3 clubs & Putter) - Bottom of my league with 22 stableford points

Competition 2 - Monthly Medal - Would have come bottom, but didn't register a score on the 18th hole.

Been doing a lot of swing changes recently and it's costing me bigtime, whilst I learn them!

Yea, but the winner "struggles" at around even par over four days. I'd love to struggle like that.

I probably would have shot 120 at Merion.

Yeah, so would I, but I saw some people post pro and scratch golfer stats to compare themselves to. I was thinking that a course that gave pros that much difficulty would compare better stat-wise to an amateur. As I said, just a thought.

If anyone's curious, I found some of the averages. I would guess the scoring average was around +10.

FW's hit: 62.18% -- GIR 58.54% -- 31 putt average

Yours and my charts are fairly similar (that may explain why I tend to agree with your posts more).    I believe Chip/Pitch/Sand numbers are total chip/pitch/sand shots per round.   It's a duplicate indicator to total GIR number.   I don't know how Iron accuracy is measured.

Regarding your GIR stat - do you feel like you get most of them on par 3's?  I don't track exactly where I'm getting my G'sIR, but I feel like the par 3's are the easiest for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

Yours and my charts are fairly similar (that may explain why I tend to agree with your posts more).    I believe Chip/Pitch/Sand numbers are total chip/pitch/sand shots per round.   It's a duplicate indicator to total GIR number.   I don't know how Iron accuracy is measured.

Regarding your GIR stat - do you feel like you get most of them on par 3's?  I don't track exactly where I'm getting my G'sIR, but I feel like the par 3's are the easiest for me.

Are you asking if the tee helps significantly?

Speaking of which, I noticed a lot of my playing partners (meet them on the course) tee up irons half to an inch or more. I don't see how they can hit down on the ball and get compression. I usually tee up an iron barely off the ground, so teeing up is not a significant advantage versus the course.

So, I am wondering how all these statistics really help you guys progress. Unfortunately, I have kept virtually none, simply because I don't really know what significance they carry.

The way I play is so simplistic, "go up to the ball and hit it". Maybe it's time for me to get serious about keeping and understanding these statistics.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meltdwhiskey

Speaking of which, I noticed a lot of my playing partners (meet them on the course) tee up irons half to an inch or more. I don't see how they can hit down on the ball and get compression. I usually tee up an iron barely off the ground, so teeing up is not a significant advantage versus the course.

So, I am wondering how all these statistics really help you guys progress. Unfortunately, I have kept virtually none, simply because I don't really know what significance they carry.

The way I play is so simplistic, "go up to the ball and hit it". Maybe it's time for me to get serious about keeping and understanding these statistics.

Not the tee specifically - but it would be part of it.  The reason I asked is I have a memory of an article I read right when I took up golf.  I think it was in Golf magazine and it was on how to break 80.  If my memory of it is right, the advice was to think of Par 3's as a Par 3.5 or something.  I think the connotation was that Par 3's were particularly tough to get par on - while 4's and 5's gave a better opportunity.  But maybe I'm remembering it wrong or didn't understand the advice. I had just started golf and it was the first magazine I read.  Would have been 2011.

But since then, I have always felt as if a weight is lifted when I get to the par 3. Like it's my domain!  I don't have the stats on if I actually do better or not on them, but I would certainly guess I do.  Wondered if it was the same for the gallery here.  It would seem logical on some level because you only have to hit 1 good shot in a row - where you need 2 or 3 for the other holes.  Also your approach shot is always off a flat lie, and as you pointed out, a tee!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

Not me.   I get GIRs from par 3, par 4, and par 5s equally in random fashion as long as they are reachable in GIR.   Of course, shorter holes (from the final approach shot perspective) are easier to get GIR.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

So, I am wondering how all these statistics really help you guys progress.

It helps me to focus on specific area since I can't devote too many hours per day on golf practice (that should come after I retire :-) ).  Currently, my GIR stat is slightly out of bogey golfer stat.  Hence, I am focusing on ball striking with mid to long range irons.  My putting stat went from 32 to 34 recently.  So, I've added putting as another one of my focus area.     Even on range session, time to time, I record my accuracy with wedge, iron, hybrid, wood, and driver and focus on a trouble area.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meltdwhiskey

Not the tee specifically - but it would be part of it.  The reason I asked is I have a memory of an article I read right when I took up golf.  I think it was in Golf magazine and it was on how to break 80.  If my memory of it is right, the advice was to think of Par 3's as a Par 3.5 or something.  I think the connotation was that Par 3's were particularly tough to get par on - while 4's and 5's gave a better opportunity.  But maybe I'm remembering it wrong or didn't understand the advice. I had just started golf and it was the first magazine I read.  Would have been 2011.

But since then, I have always felt as if a weight is lifted when I get to the par 3. Like it's my domain!  I don't have the stats on if I actually do better or not on them, but I would certainly guess I do.  Wondered if it was the same for the gallery here.  It would seem logical on some level because you only have to hit 1 good shot in a row - where you need 2 or 3 for the other holes.  Also your approach shot is always off a flat lie, and as you pointed out, a tee!

I do about the same on the par 3 and an equivalent approach shot.

The killers are the 208 yard par 3s where I need a hybrid or a nebulous 3i. We have an uphill 208 yard par 3 on our home course that normally plays like a 215 yard hole in summer weather, and like a 225 yard hole in current conditions. Nope, I don't expect to make any par 3 greens unless it's closer than my 7i distance.

Maybe we feel more "comfortable" on an approach shot because we feel that an up and down is acceptable on a par 4 or 5. Some people might even feel that a par 3 is made to greened from the tee shot.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Maybe we feel more "comfortable" on an approach shot because we feel that an up and down is acceptable on a par 4 or 5. Some people might even feel that a par 3 is made to greened from the tee shot.

I think that way although my results tell me otherwise.   I feel like I have more control on par 3 holes to green since I am teeing from flat lie.  I can even set tee height to control ball flight.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Most of my GIRs come from par 5s. Makes sense to me, because I have the most shots to recover from mistakes. I'm most likely to double bogey par 3s for some reason.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

okay I like the chart from previous posts, I fall into that scope. Most of it seems average for me. My irons and wedges  more (+ )on the numbers, putting is less( - )on the numbers, but would equal out. So I know I need work on Approach shots to keep my wedges in the bag...cool deal. My GIR's are all over the place... from Par 3's to short par 4's & 5's. The killers are the long 3, 4 & 5's... I occasionally dribble one onto the green...like a blind squirrel finding an acorn, so I know I need change here as well.

The killers are the long 3, 4 & 5's... I occasionally dribble one onto the green...like a blind squirrel finding an acorn, so I know I need change here as well.

LOL.  Loved the description.

These days, I can't even do that b/c my course's greens are surrounded by bunkers.   My blind squirrel will end up in quick sand after falling into one.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

That's about what I did, that is to say, 42 putts..

36 would have been good for me. Got to work on short game a bit more than 1%.

Sounds like you have issue with lag (getting it to tap in range), knocking in short putts (less than 5 feet), or both (gasp).   FYI, see below chart.    My ranges are in bold.   I would love to know what others' are (cut and paste and bold your stat).

AVERAGE SCORE

Relationship

CATEGORY

GIR

Strong

% Fairways

Weak

Iron Accuracy

Good

Putts per Round

Weak

Pitch/Chip/Sand

Strong

Birdies

Strong

Pars

Strong

I'm intrigued by this chart.

Where did you get it from?  I apologize if this was answered elsewhere and I missed it but how Iron Accuracy is defined?

I don't keep a stat on Pitch/Chip/Sand - just sand saves.  Is this stat defined as getting up and down whether from the sand or not?

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Where did you get it from?  I apologize if this was answered elsewhere and I missed it but how Iron Accuracy is defined?

I don't keep a stat on Pitch/Chip/Sand - just sand saves.  Is this stat defined as getting up and down whether from the sand or not?

Go to http://j.mp/1hMvx2L

I believe Pitch/Chip/Sand is total number of pitch/chip/sand shots you make in a round.   GIR and P/C/S stat are similar in that they measure your iron shot accuracy into green.   If you miss a lot of approach shots, you will have larger P/C/S number.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Originally Posted by RFKFREAK

I'm intrigued by this chart.

What is your sand save percentage?  When I first started tracking some stats, that was one on a template I had.  But it was soon pretty apparent that sandies were so few and far between for me it wasn't worth tracking.  I think I have 3 in the last 2 years.

Note: This thread is 1028 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!