IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1026 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yesterday shot an 88  (87 for ESC) on my home course  (69.9/121)

Started well then had to endure a spell of 7 consecutive flubbed or medicre chips or pitches before

Putting excellent, driver a bit erratic.

I got rolling on the back nine. 41.

8 pars, 5 Bogies, 4 DUBs and 1 triple (an OB penalty)

Broke the recent string of scores...90, 91, 92, 90, 92

nice!

Kevin

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Played golf on Thursday despite the threat of rain and thunderstorms in the area.  The weather was so questionable so I mentally approached the round in a different way than I typically do.  I had no expectations that we'd be able to finish the round or that the score would matter so I was just really relaxed and carefree.

I hit all my clubs well, better than I typically do.  It was really the first time I ever felt like I was in "the zone".  The round felt like slow motion, every putt read seemed to jump out at me and the ball was going exactly where I wanted it to.  On a 30 yard pitch I aimed right for the flag, the ball bounced once, hit the stick and dropped in in the cup for an eagle on a par 5.  It was almost like an out of body experience.

I knew I was playing well but had no idea how well until I added up the front nine when I saw I shot a 42.  I have had some good rounds but never anything that was close to feeling like this did.  Unfortunately when we got to the 10th hole, the thunder and lightning came in and they closed the course.  I don't know if I could have sustained it over the back 9 but I'll never forget that feeling I had.

• Upvote 2

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Played golf on Thursday despite the threat of rain and thunderstorms in the area.  The weather was so questionable so I mentally approached the round in a different way than I typically do.  I had no expectations that we'd be able to finish the round or that the score would matter so I was just really relaxed and carefree.

I hit all my clubs well, better than I typically do.  It was really the first time I ever felt like I was in "the zone".  The round felt like slow motion, every putt read seemed to jump out at me and the ball was going exactly where I wanted it to.  On a 30 yard pitch I aimed right for the flag, the ball bounced once, hit the stick and dropped in in the cup for an eagle on a par 5.  It was almost like an out of body experience.

I knew I was playing well but had no idea how well until I added up the front nine when I saw I shot a 42.  I have had some good rounds but never anything that was close to feeling like this did.  Unfortunately when we got to the 10th hole, the thunder and lightning came in and they closed the course.  I don't know if I could have sustained it over the back 9 but I'll never forget that feeling I had.

Congrats on the eagle!    I had a similar out of body experience in today's round where I went just 2 over on 11 hole stretch.  I had a few such stretches before but it was on much easier tee/course.   This kind of experience can only be positive b/c it tells us about our "potential" to be so much better.  At least, we can con ourselves in believing.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Played a tough college level championship course yesterday that was still set up for match conditions. Wicked fast greens and ridiculous pin positions. 140 slope. Shot a 95 with only one penalty shot. I was quite happy with my round. A few greens I missed putts and had them roll off the green. Could've easily been a 85 under different conditions. Hit the range today, more so to build stamina than anything. Find myself getting tired late in rounds and getting lazy on some shots. ETA: Looking forward some possible camera work at the TST outing in Cleveland.

- Mark

"Perfect" bogey golf over nine holes (walked) Tues evening........ 45 strokes, five bogeys, two pars (on consecutive holes), two double bogeys. Hit some nice shots, lost only one ball. Very impressive Sunset. Life could be worse.

"Perfect" bogey golf over nine holes (walked) Tues evening........ 45 strokes, five bogeys, two pars (on consecutive holes), two double bogeys. Hit some nice shots, lost only one ball. Very impressive Sunset. Life could be worse.

This was my exact round on Sunday. Same # of pars, bogeys, and doubles. It felt ... relaxed. When I got in trouble I just took the safe path out instead of trying low % shots and subsequently avoided any major blow up holes.

- Mark

Played in my new home clubs "Club Championship" yesterday.  Unlike the old club, this club not only had flights but also applied handicaps to the match play format.  I was up against a 34 handicapper and had to give 6 strokes.  The guy was older and had played golf all his life but had taken 3 years off for an unspecified reason so this was his first year back.

I shot a 94 for the round and lost -1 in a playoff hole that I shot a par on (par 4) and so did he but he got a stroke on that hole so he won the match.

I wasn't sure but I got the feeling he was a sandbagger so today I took a look at his handicap history.  Turns out that for almost the entire summer his handicap was 27 and then from 8/15 - 9/15 it went up to a 34, from 9/1/15 - current it went up 4 strokes. So my question is do I accept my loss and not worry about it or do I state my concerns to the tournament committee?

Joe Paradiso

@newtogolf Remember there are club politics. You're the new member.

Also take into account that while it doesn't relate to your predicament, despite two injuries this summer and time off, my handicap dropped four strokes....

Use your judgement. I hate playing against high handicappers for this very reason.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

@newtogolf Remember there are club politics. You're the new member.

Also take into account that while it doesn't relate to your predicament, despite two injuries this summer and time off, my handicap dropped four strokes....

Use your judgement. I hate playing against high handicappers for this very reason.

Thanks for the feedback but I had already decided to hold off on my inquiry until I saw the results of his match today.  He shot a 118 and lost 6&5, so he just had a great day against me, no harm, no foul.  I feel better that I lost fair and square.

Joe Paradiso

Firmly marooned in Bogey-land........ Shot 90 yesterday, with three pars, not much else. Immediately after scoring a par on the Par 5, # 3 hole, carded a 6 on the next hole, a Par 3. Knocked first tee shot OOB left, and the next OOB right....... Not unlike some range sessions, where I can get tripped up "shifting gears". Ex: at range, started off with 7i and 5H, knocked about 5 shots each pretty much where I wanted them. Pulled out 3H, and darn near miss the ball 4 consecutive shots.

On the course, I hit some nice shots, but hard to hit several consecutive. I have made significant swing alterations over past two years and don't yet feel comfortable over the ball. Hit it farther when I hit it, but miss it too often. One positive is that my misses are better than they used to be.

Played two rounds on Monday 97 94, unlike others my driver and hybrids are ok, they don't always go where I expect but generally stay out of trouble. My irons are terrible though, usually fat sometimes thin, rarely straight. par 3 holes are usually a 5 or 6 for me. I play forward men's tees so I only need 150+ irons on the par 3 holes. I think one major problem is upper body and head movement in the backswing. Anyone know any good drills to to keep things steady?

Driver: TaylorMade Aeroburner;  9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood: TaylorMade Aeroburner;  15* 
S-Flex
Hybrids: Nike Vapor Speed 3-5 Steel Stiff
Irons: Nike Vapor Speed 6-Pw Steel Stiff
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Satin Black; 52, 56, 60
Putter: Odyssey Works 2-Ball
Grips: Good Grip Tour Wrap Medium 
Ball: ProV1

Played two rounds on Monday 97 94, unlike others my driver and hybrids are ok, they don't always go where I expect but generally stay out of trouble. My irons are terrible though, usually fat sometimes thin, rarely straight. par 3 holes are usually a 5 or 6 for me.

I play forward men's tees so I only need 150+ irons on the par 3 holes.

I think one major problem is upper body and head movement in the backswing. Anyone know any good drills to to keep things steady?

Our instructor sent us home to practice stability in our swing-           set up, without a club, but with our forehead touching the wall. Practice the slow speed swing and maintain head contact with the wall.

Really gives me a sense of upper body movement , even laterally, in the swing movement

Have had a few rounds this past week in the mid 80`s, even one at 81 and my hci has come down a lot this year, I think I was high teens at the start of the season. I have spent nearly every day this summer playing and or practicing. I do have the odd lapse back to the 90 range but they are now few and far between and it has even gotten to the point that I am disappointed with an 86, lol. I think if i can continue to work on my short game and putting I should be able to break 80, probably not till next season as our course will soon be closing.  The other flaw I seem to have is always going for it, as in risky shots, It feels great when I pull off the tough shots but they are usually 50-50 odds so I really need to stop taking so many chances. Is there a `breaking 80` thread, can`t seem to find one.

Have had a few rounds this past week in the mid 80`s, even one at 81 and my hci has come down a lot this year, I think I was high teens at the start of the season. I have spent nearly every day this summer playing and or practicing. I do have the odd lapse back to the 90 range but they are now few and far between and it has even gotten to the point that I am disappointed with an 86, lol. I think if i can continue to work on my short game and putting I should be able to break 80, probably not till next season as our course will soon be closing.  The other flaw I seem to have is always going for it, as in risky shots, It feels great when I pull off the tough shots but they are usually 50-50 odds so I really need to stop taking so many chances. Is there a `breaking 80` thread, can`t seem to find one.

Another success story.  Nice going!

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Funny how it keeps coming back to this: Last two 9-hole rounds...... 46 and 44, for a total of, what else....... 90.

This evening...... 44 - felt more than two strokes better than the 46. Had 3 Pars, 4 Bogeys, after doubling the first two holes. Would have been a 42 if two putts had each rolled 1/2 inch further.

Sunday evening - 46 - 4 Pars and 5 Double Bogeys. I was nearly exhausted from cleaning my Mom's gutters (ladders, bleach/brush, pressure washer, etc.), about six hours worth.

I believe there is a 13 handicapper trapped in my 20 handicap body.

Hey all, I waned to introduce myself after a season of lurking.  I am 31, and this past year was my first serious season of golf and I am officially addicted.  Golf is wrapping up for the year here in the PNW, but I just installed a home simulator so with any luck and a lot of hard work, I will break 90 when the courses open again in April.  I have shot 91 and 92 quite a few times this year, but always seem to find myself heading into the final 2 holes needing a par and a birdie or something that I just don't have the ability to accomplish yet.

I actually started another thread in this forum with more detail about my sim setup and my goals, so depending on interest level, I may or may not be updating that over the winter in efforts to see how much improvement can be made without actually stepping foot on a golf course for 6 months.  

It has been great reading everyone's experiences and I hope I can contribute some here as well.

Kevin

Welcome to the forum & thread.   With you own home gold simulator & addiction, you will blow through the bogey golfer stage.   Looking forward to your progress.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 1026 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!