IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Heres one I bet a bunch of us at our level can relate too: I finally had a chance to play with three co workers after months of talking golf. We played a very nice medium difficulty course in the area and all had a great time, but for goodness sakes!! These two guys love to run their mouths non stop, they live to talk trash! Id been playing quite well prior to our round together but knew on the first tee I was in trouble. I was calm and relaxed thinking "u dont have to break 90 today, just beat each of these guys and were golden." I knew I was having an off day but I hung in there best I could and shot 101. First time Id shot over 98 in five rounds. I beat all three of them so figured the s$&@ talking would be to a minimum upon our return to work. Beat the first guy by 7 strokes, 2nd guy by one, and our third by probably 15. He cheated his arse off all over the course. Ie: he somehow matched my bogey on the first hole even tho he lost two more golf balls than I did and took two more putts than I did. So I beat em all by at least some margin having an off day. The next week I shot a 92 on a really tough course and they called bs, then an 88 at the same course we played together about three weeks later. They been talkin smack nonstop ever since claiming they dont think i can break 100. Cant wait to play them tho; I told em I was tired of their smack talking and that if I break 100 each of em owes me 20 bucks. The dummies agreed. Just gotta pray I dont have the worse day ever when we finally get the chance to play again. I dont get why were supposed to be that consistant at our level. Hell, Im paraphrasing here but if Rory can shoot 66 one day and 79 the next why do we have to always shoot within five of what we shot last time? Since we still havnt mastered it like Tiger, then we cant possibly be better than them. Well, numbers dont lie, a guy who usually shoots 6-8 strokes under 100 is better than a guy who might break 100 all year. And just cus we shot a 102 yesterday doesnt mean we wont shoot 89 next week. So, in short, take pride...cus we could be even worse! :)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, stealthhwk said:

Heres one I bet a bunch of us at our level can relate too: I finally had a chance to play with three co workers after months of talking golf. We played a very nice medium difficulty course in the area and all had a great time, but for goodness sakes!! These two guys love to run their mouths non stop, they live to talk trash! Id been playing quite well prior to our round together but knew on the first tee I was in trouble. I was calm and relaxed thinking "u dont have to break 90 today, just beat each of these guys and were golden." I knew I was having an off day but I hung in there best I could and shot 101. First time Id shot over 98 in five rounds. I beat all three of them so figured the s$&@ talking would be to a minimum upon our return to work. Beat the first guy by 7 strokes, 2nd guy by one, and our third by probably 15. He cheated his arse off all over the course. Ie: he somehow matched my bogey on the first hole even tho he lost two more golf balls than I did and took two more putts than I did. So I beat em all by at least some margin having an off day. The next week I shot a 92 on a really tough course and they called bs, then an 88 at the same course we played together about three weeks later. They been talkin smack nonstop ever since claiming they dont think i can break 100. Cant wait to play them tho; I told em I was tired of their smack talking and that if I break 100 each of em owes me 20 bucks. The dummies agreed. Just gotta pray I dont have the worse day ever when we finally get the chance to play again. I dont get why were supposed to be that consistant at our level. Hell, Im paraphrasing here but if Rory can shoot 66 one day and 79 the next why do we have to always shoot within five of what we shot last time? Since we still havnt mastered it like Tiger, then we cant possibly be better than them. Well, numbers dont lie, a guy who usually shoots 6-8 strokes under 100 is better than a guy who might break 100 all year. And just cus we shot a 102 yesterday doesnt mean we wont shoot 89 next week. So, in short, take pride...cus we could be even worse! :)

At this point I've just accepted that very few people play by the rules, and yet they still want to brag about their score. Outside of the people I play with from here not one of my friends I've played with takes the proper penalties or play the ball as it lies. At first it used to bother me, but now I just deal with it. You can't tell them their score doesn't mean anything because they respond with the good old "we aren't professionals" and other standbys. What does still bother me is when some people insist that I break the rules while playing with them as well.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Why would anyone assume someone who shot a 101 couldn't break 100?  My guess is they're just messing with you at this point.

38 minutes ago, xcott said:

Why would anyone assume someone who shot a 101 couldn't break 100?  My guess is they're just messing with you at this point.

Lol!!! Thats what I thought too, but they were dead serious. Im like u guys need a math lesson or something. 

As a newbie I'm golfing for relaxation.  When I played my first round of golf I was 35.  To improve my game I simply practice, practice, and practice.  So far this strategy has improved my ball striking abilities tremendously, but that's not saying much considering that I only recently picked up the game.

Played a match-play round against a work colleague of mine, who is a scratch golfer. It was the first time I played the course, and the first time I'd played with this colleague.

I had so much fun! Playing against someone else's score seemed to take the pressure off me shooting below 90. He clearly wasn't at the top of his game, and watching him thin a couple of pitch shots...I won't lie, it made me feel better about my game!

I ended up shooting 92, but the match ended up A/S as I won the last 3 holes! This included a lovely birdie at a tricky par 4. I've not enjoyed a round as much as that in a long time.

• Upvote 1

On 8/18/2016 at 10:18 PM, stealthhwk said:

Just practice your fundamentals, and make sure your swing is more consistent. Practice short game just before your match up and minimal long game the day before to keep your muscles fresh. Good luck winning their money, seems like it should be pretty easy. Just ignore any comments they make to try to mess you up.

20 hours ago, xcott said:

Yeah, that was kind of stupid for them to assume. . .my guess is they didn't remember how badly they themselves played that day relative to @stealthhwk. Human nature :-P

19 hours ago, stealthhwk said:

Lol!!! Thats what I thought too, but they were dead serious. Im like u guys need a math lesson or something. 

Yeah, just ignore anything they say when you go out there to take their money. You get free lunch or more. . . :-)

15 hours ago, Hazsa said:

Played a match-play round against a work colleague of mine, who is a scratch golfer. It was the first time I played the course, and the first time I'd played with this colleague.

I had so much fun! Playing against someone else's score seemed to take the pressure off me shooting below 90. He clearly wasn't at the top of his game, and watching him thin a couple of pitch shots...I won't lie, it made me feel better about my game!

I ended up shooting 92, but the match ended up A/S as I won the last 3 holes! This included a lovely birdie at a tricky par 4. I've not enjoyed a round as much as that in a long time.

Nice job!

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

2 hours ago, Lihu said:

Just practice your fundamentals, and make sure your swing is more consistent. Practice short game just before your match up and minimal long game the day before to keep your muscles fresh. Good luck winning their money, seems like it should be pretty easy. Just ignore any comments they make to try to mess you up.

Yeah, that was kind of stupid for them to assume. . .my guess is they didn't remember how badly they themselves played that day relative to @stealthhwk. Human nature :-P

Yeah, just ignore anything they say when you go out there to take their money. You get free lunch or more. . . :-)

Great advice. Ill take that straight to the bank! Thanks!

I played a tough course yesterday for the next tournament on our schedule.  I struggled a little bit through certain parts, making 3 triple bogies, including one on possibly the easiest hole on the course.  

A very disappointing 49 on the front was followed by a 44 on the back for a total of 93.  I hit the ball well off the tee with the exception of a few holes.  Those few holes, however, are what hurt my score.  

There are 4 weeks until the next tournament, so I'll be spending some time on the course alone working on maintaining the confidence I've been feeling over the last month or so.  

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

I have not played in a couple weeks so no 80's to post... son started football and it is taking up a lot of time!!!

I hope you all are playing good and having some fun.  Setting up a Sun morning so I hope to have some good news next week!

stealthhwk - Play dumb with them and maybe add to the bet of breaking 100 for another 10 or 20.  Could be a good day for your wallet and good luck to you.

Cy - Looks like a tough front kept you out of the 80's.  Keep at it and you will be back and posting with a smile!

• Upvote 2

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Played for the first time in about a month today, hadn't touched the sticks either due life (that silly thing that gets in the way) 

Partner convinced me to move back tee box to play at 6600 instead of 6000.   Made things interesting and a lot more fun to actually have to hit something other than driver/pw all day long.  Suddenly all the traps were in play off the tee.  Blasted par 3's were all 190-210 though,  there may have been a lay up on one....

Ended up shooting 101 as I was mess on the greens (5 three putts) and thinned my fair share of chips.  9/14 fairways with 4 GIR.   Rust started coming off on the backend with my iron game and approaches were much closer. 

Partner was a former assistant pro so it was fun to watch him have a few duffs as well, proves we're all mortals.  

New sticks are coming this week (used G30's) which have me stoked to go practice.

Shot a 51-45-91 at Van Cortlandt Park today (Par 70, 68.5/119, 6000 yds from the back but its tight)

Hit some terrible shanks on 2 and 4 which led to an 8 and a 9 but after that I recovered to have a pretty solid round. 4 Pars (one of which a chip in) and 2 GIR 3 putt bogies. Those piss me off but I still putted pretty well for myself with 33. I usually lay up on a lot of these tight holes but today I made a commitment to my driver. I just choked down and shorted my backswing on the tighter holes. Driver was great all day. I'm playing in a scramble on Saturday for the first time. Looking forward to it.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

46 + 46 for a 92. This was a roller coaster of emotion!!! Thrilled to be playing golf as there was a 50% chance of storms, and ten days ago, I suffered what was thought to be a season ending shoulder injury. After three days of intense pain and arm in a sling, I awoke on the fourth day to what can only be described as a miraculous recovery. Overnight, I regained 95% of my mobility and was pain free, save just a bit of stiffness. Heart broken, cus I was 12 holes into my lowest round ever when I took back to back 7s. Thrilled, cus I shot a 92 and got paired up with a really fun playing partner. Stoked, cus I birdied the hardest hole on the course, Concerned cus I have a very sore thumb after playing a shot from a slightly plugged side hill lie. Overall, Im thrilled and gonna focus on the good. Really wish I would have broke 90 tho. Cant seem to break 91 on this course no matter how I try.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, PJCdude said:

Shot a 51-45-96 at Van Cortlandt Park today (Par 70, 68.5/119, 6000 yds from the back but its tight)

Hit some terrible shanks on 2 and 4 which led to an 8 and a 9 but after that I recovered to have a pretty solid round. 4 Pars (one of which a chip in) and 2 GIR 3 putt bogies. Those piss me off but I still putted pretty well for myself with 33. I usually lay up on a lot of these tight holes but today I made a commitment to my driver. I just choked down and shorted my backswing on the tighter holes. Driver was great all day. I'm playing in a scramble on Saturday for the first time. Looking forward to it.

Sorry, can't do math.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

Did it guys,  shot an 88 after birdying two holes on the back 9 Sunday,  I have never birdied to holes in the same round much less on the same 9 holes.  47 front 41 back.  It was one of those days where I wasn't playing great and left a bunch of strokes(three putt bogies etc) out there but then i would find a par here and there and even a few birdies in there. Didn't realize I broke 90 until the end.  

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, sirhacksalot said:

Did it guys,  shot an 88 after birdying two holes on the back 9 Sunday,  I have never birdied to holes in the same round much less on the same 9 holes.  47 front 41 back.  It was one of those days where I wasn't playing great and left a bunch of strokes(three putt bogies etc) out there but then i would find a par here and there and even a few birdies in there. Didn't realize I broke 90 until the end.  

Well done.Breaking 90 still on my bucket list.

7 hours ago, sirhacksalot said:

Ok...it's official. You puttin up rounds like that means your gonna need a new screen name. ;) Congrats!!! And with two birdies in the same round, what a way to do it!

Recently, I had some inconsistent scores, good and bad ones but nothing in between.   The good scores are going to keep my HI below 16 for now.   

What's working now - short game (putting included).  

What's not - driver, driver, driver.  Time to hit the range.   

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 1033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!