IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note:Β This thread is 1026 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

1 minute ago, Blackjack Don said:

After only two lessons, I am agreeing a lot more than I thought I would. There is no substitute for having a pair of experienced-knowledgeable eyes checking out your swing. I probably have gotten farther in the past month that I did previously in six months.

I believe it's not possible to consistently break a hundred without a good swing. At least a consistent swing. I haven't seen anyone do it. Breaking ninety takes a good swing and good putting?

Yeah, Β that's how I feel too. Β I'm not going to keep hacking away until I get the proper swing down. Β Its a lot harder than it looks. Β This is coming from somebody who played sports his entire life. Β That's probably how I got the over the top swing. Β Too much baseball and softball. Β 

• Upvote 1

Irons - Ping G410Β 

Driver - Ping G410

3W - Ping G410

3H - Ping G410Β 

Putter - Ping SigmaΒ 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got out for 27 holes this weekend. It sure wasn't mid-season form but not as bad as some past year's early-season experiences. I posted a 96 on Saturday at Sugar Isle (New Carlisle, OH) and that was with three snowmen disgracing 15 otherwise half-decent holes. Played the front nine of the Hawk course back home on Sunday morning and managed a 47. The City lets people out all winter as long as it isn't frozen and the course is totally hacked to pieces. With some of the awful lies I had, 47 is ok in my book.

Back to the office now. Not to emerge for another 6 days.

Β Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
1 hour ago, PingLuvR said:

I started seeing an instructor last week. After the initial swing analysis, Β he gave me a couple things to work on. Β  Β Working on take a way and swing plane. Β Went back forΒ lesson 1 and the Β over the top was way better. Β But for some reason, Β whatever I did to correct the over the top, Β caused me to block everything right. Β I NEVER hit irons right. Β After researching it, Β it seems obvious that my swing plane is too flat from over compensating trying to stop the over the top. Β 

I'm not sure I'm making my point: stop researching. Do what your instructor asks you to do, ONLY do that, and ONLY do that ONE thing. Ingrain it.

It takes more than a week.

DO NOT go off searching for new fixes, new things to do, etc.

43 minutes ago, Blackjack Don said:

I believe it's not possible to consistently break a hundred without a good swing. At least a consistent swing. I haven't seen anyone do it. Breaking ninety takes a good swing and good putting?

Depends on what you mean by "good."

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

45 minutes ago, iacas said:

I'm not sure I'm making my point: stop researching. Do what your instructor asks you to do, ONLY do that, and ONLY do that ONE thing. Ingrain it.

Yeah, I get that, Β but dropping my club head below plane wasn't what he was teaching. Β I just picked that up yesterday trying to keep from going over the top. Β I get what I was doing wrong. Β 

Irons - Ping G410Β 

Driver - Ping G410

3W - Ping G410

3H - Ping G410Β 

Putter - Ping SigmaΒ 

5 hours ago, iacas said:

Just played a quick 9. Β My assumption was right. Β I quit dropping the club headΒ and went higher and back on plane. Β Was hammering the drives. Β I was driver / wedge on all par 4's, Β which sucks, Β because I didnt get a chance to hit more clubs. Β The only par 5, Β i pulled my 2nd shot a little left of the green. Β  Was not pushing / blocking any shots to the right today at all. Β Felt much better. Β Was concentrating on the release too. Β A YouTube video i watched (Meanandmygolf), the guy said your left hand should be "catching raindrops" on the follow through, Β meaning it should be facing the sky. Β Really makes a lot of sense to me. Β 

Irons - Ping G410Β 

Driver - Ping G410

3W - Ping G410

3H - Ping G410Β 

Putter - Ping SigmaΒ 

Congratulations! If only so many people understood the action required to square the club face. That and coming over the top.Β 

You must be hitting it far if you only have wedges into greens! Wish I had that!

24 minutes ago, 808hacker said:

Congratulations! If only so many people understood the action required to square the club face. That and coming over the top.Β 

You must be hitting it far if you only have wedges into greens! Wish I had that!

Yeah, Β thanks. Β Long way to go though, Β but those are very important to getting my swing better. Β I love those guys at 'meandmygolf". Β Another great drill is to put your golf bag about a foot in front of the ball and make sure your toe of the club is hitting it (slow motion obviously). Β 

Irons - Ping G410Β 

Driver - Ping G410

3W - Ping G410

3H - Ping G410Β 

Putter - Ping SigmaΒ 

• Administrator
57 minutes ago, PingLuvR said:

Just played a quick 9. Β My assumption was right. Β I quit dropping the club headΒ and went higher and back on plane. Β Was hammering the drives. Β I was driver / wedge on all par 4's, Β which sucks, Β because I didnt get a chance to hit more clubs. Β The only par 5, Β i pulled my 2nd shot a little left of the green. Β  Was not pushing / blocking any shots to the right today at all. Β Felt much better. Β Was concentrating on the release too. Β A YouTube video i watched (Meanandmygolf), the guy said your left hand should be "catching raindrops" on the follow through, Β meaning it should be facing the sky. Β Really makes a lot of sense to me. Β 

Okay. I doubt much actually changed, and you seem content to chase what amount to quick fixes.

I think you'll find that this is not going to work long-term, but I won't keep harping on it. Good luck.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Okay. I doubt much actually changed, and you seem content to chase what amount to quick fixes.

I think you'll find that this is not going to work long-term, but I won't keep harping on it. Good luck.

Compared to yesterday? Β Yeah, Β lots changed. Β Only because yesterday I tried to focus so hard on the right elbow being tucked that I didnt realize the club head was dropping so far under plane. Β Today was focusing on not going over the top and keeping the swing on plane on the downswing. Β Night and day difference. Β Was an easy fix. Β This is only the beginning. Β But I can tell a huge difference already.Β 

Irons - Ping G410Β 

Driver - Ping G410

3W - Ping G410

3H - Ping G410Β 

Putter - Ping SigmaΒ 

Β I love those guys at 'meandmygolf".

I haven't seen those, but if you have the means to fund lessons, I agree that's the smoothest way to a grooved swing (with practice). My advice would be start early and take lessons. Now if you started late like me - I took lessons and really worked on things for a while but I got depressed with being so inconsistent. So I just went to the driving range and literally figured out what I could repeat for the time I allot to golf. I'll never be really good - too many limitations in importation areas. Β But from what I have seen on the course - the deal killers seem to be for the people that are frustrated:

Over the top - slicing so bad - so many people slicing

Bad hand/wrist action/follow through - uh.... I knew it was going right and it will all day

Alignment - they aim so bad - then they wonder why the ball went there

Anyway, the new ball flight laws should be a requirement hahahaha

One point that might be missing from this thread is that despite "bogey golf" maybe being considered "junk golf", I have found it to be fine for general play for "regular" folks that just like to play golf. One 3 putt - bogey. Missed the green - missed the up/down - bogey. As long as you keep pace of play good - no one will care whether you made a bogey or par from what I have seen. Everyone will have a different threshold for crappy play, but what is painful is someone hitting it OB and taking forever to find the ball.Β 

6 minutes ago, 808hacker said:

I haven't seen those, but if you have the means to fund lessons, I agree that's the smoothest way to a grooved swing (with practice). My advice would be start early and take lessons. Now if you started late like me - I took lessons and really worked on things for a while but I got depressed with being so inconsistent. So I just went to the driving range and literally figured out what I could repeat for the time I allot to golf. I'll never be really good - too many limitations in importation areas. Β But from what I have seen on the course - the deal killers seem to be for the people that are frustrated:

Over the top - slicing so bad - so many people slicing

Bad hand/wrist action/follow through - uh.... I knew it was going right and it will all day

Alignment - they aim so bad - then they wonder why the ball went there

Anyway, the new ball flight laws should be a requirement hahahaha

One point that might be missing from this thread is that despite "bogey golf" maybe being considered "junk golf", I have found it to be fine for general play for "regular" folks that just like to play golf. One 3 putt - bogey. Missed the green - missed the up/down - bogey. As long as you keep pace of play good - no one will care whether you made a bogey or par from what I have seen. Everyone will have a different threshold for crappy play, but what is painful is someone hitting it OB and taking forever to find the ball.Β 

Good stuff. Β Also, Β the 2 guys at 'meanandmygolf' are awesome. Β I love their drills on fixing problems. Β 

Irons - Ping G410Β 

Driver - Ping G410

3W - Ping G410

3H - Ping G410Β 

Putter - Ping SigmaΒ 

28 minutes ago, PingLuvR said:

Good stuff. Β Also, Β the 2 guys at 'meanandmygolf' are awesome. Β I love their drills on fixing problems. Β 

I also enjoy Rick Shiels and Peter Finch too, more course vlogs and club reviews compared to meandmygolf, but still very good content

Driver:Β :callaway:Β Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:Β Β :cobra:Β Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons:Β :tmade:Β P770 (4-PW)
Wedges:Β :callaway:Β MD3 50Β  Β MD5 54 58Β degreeΒ Β 
Putter:Β :odyssey:Β  White Hot RX #1
Ball:Β :srixon:Β Z Star XV

9 hours ago, iacas said:

In the voice of Bill Murray, "Are we talking seven days or a business week?"

:-)

9 hours ago, iacas said:

It has been recorded that becoming an expert at something takes 10,000 hours of practice. So good enough to break a hundred? What a thousand hours?

In poker we found that how much we won wasn't the information we needed. It was how much an hour? That was the data that worked best. How many hours of practice to get a good enough swing? I doubt this data has been collected.

Wayne

This may sound silly, but when I am on the golf course, I remind myself I am not there to practice or to have a bunch of swing thoughts. I turn my mind to managing my play on that course for the lowest score.

Right now, as an old man returning to golf, my goal is break 90 consistently. Β I use the same setup/address routine. I target all shots. I drive the ball reasonably well toward or to my target. Then I consider the distance required to put me on the green or at the next target. If too much, or if it would require a hard-to-hit club or involves undesirable risk, I hit a more lofted club to the spot that will set me up for the next shot or give me a scoring shot to center of green.

For a guy like me, I requires a lot more discipline and patience than I imagined. But not much time and dividends are paid more often, like yesterday. -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite,Β A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy ProlaunchΒ Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed)Β Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce;Β PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

• Administrator
29 minutes ago, Blackjack Don said:

It has been recorded that becoming an expert at something takes 10,000 hours of practice. So good enough to break a hundred? What a thousand hours?

That's not a fact. At all.

3 hours ago, PingLuvR said:

Compared to yesterday? Β Yeah, Β lots changed.

YouΒ missed the point. Good luck.

9 hours ago, MarvChamp said:

This may sound silly, but when I am on the golf course, I remind myself I am not there to practice or to have a bunch of swing thoughts. I turn my mind to managing my play on that course for the lowest score.

Right now, as an old man returning to golf, my goal is break 90 consistently. Β I use the same setup/address routine. I target all shots. I drive the ball reasonably well toward or to my target. Then I consider the distance required to put me on the green or at the next target. If too much, or if it would require a hard-to-hit club or involves undesirable risk, I hit a more lofted club to the spot that will set me up for the next shot or give me a scoring shot to center of green.

For a guy like me, I requires a lot more discipline and patience than I imagined. But not much time and dividends are paid more often, like yesterday. -Marv

What's amazing is that this philosophy hasn't changed in more than 100 years. :-)

There are so many quick fix posts in every golf blog, it's amazing that the golf swing can seem soΒ simple and yet is really difficult to do. Most peopleΒ think how hard can it be to put a ball into a hole? The answer is "it's definitely not easy" :-D

Β 

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

9 hours ago, iacas said:

That's not a fact. At all.

YouΒ missed the point. Good luck.

Right elbow in, swing is on plane, ball going straight. Β That's what I'm looking for at this stage. Β Next lesson is Thursday. Β 

Irons - Ping G410Β 

Driver - Ping G410

3W - Ping G410

3H - Ping G410Β 

Putter - Ping SigmaΒ 

1 hour ago, PingLuvR said:

Right elbow in, swing is on plane, ball going straight. Β That's what I'm looking for at this stage. Β Next lesson is Thursday. Β 

Why bother with lessons if all you do is ignore what the instructor tells you to do thenΒ watch YouTube videos and try out different things that seem to "work"?

• Upvote 1

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note:Β This thread is 1026 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!