IGNORED

Refurbished Pro V1s...

Note: This thread is 2640 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://challengegolfballs.com/

So the local Wally World carries these refurbished Pro V1 and Pro V1x balls for less than $20/doz. They look really good... obviously been repainted and relabeled just hoping they are really Pro V1's.

Anyone got experience with this company's refurbished golf balls?

20170113_123413.jpg

:ping:   Ping G30 - Driver       

Ping G Series - 3w & 5w 

Ping G5 - 7w & 5-PW

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52*, 56*, 60*

Ping Sigma 2 Fetch putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would think refurbished balls don't go through a QA eval specifically compression which I would think be one of the critical characteristics but not sure what this outfit does. I would think 'lost' balls would be a better option. At least you know what you see is what you are getting.

• Upvote 2

Vishal S.

Painted junk. Someone gave me a box of those and a few looked like lake balls when the paint came off. Which was quick, after a few iron hits.

• Upvote 1

Dave :-)

I also read somewhere else to avoid the refurbished balls, and stick to recycled, or something like that. Supposedly the refurbished balls don't have the right finish.. 

I can't hit ProV1 anyway. @Joey GIf you're ever in Oregon I will give you mine. 

Edited by Kalnoky
  • Upvote 1

There are a few different terms for used golf balls and the processes used to prepare them for sale, so hopefully this will help clear up any questions...

•                 What is the difference between a "recycled" golf ball and a "refurbished" golf ball?

A recycled ball is simply a used ball that has been washed, sorted and graded by condition.  A refurbished ball (also called refinished or reconditioned) is stripped of the clear coat and paint, then re-painted, clear coated and stamped with manufacturer’s logos.  This is done when balls are discolored or are in such rough shape that a basic cleaning won't work.  This process makes them look better cosmetically. By law it must also have a stamp indicating it was refinished on one of the poles, like this:

refinished rx.jpg

•        How are golf balls refurbished, and what affect does this have?

In an effort to improve appearance, the outer layers of coating (primer, paint and polyurethane, depending on the brand) are mechanically stripped, leaving only the urethane shell (cover).  The ball is then re-painted, clear coated and re-stamped with the manufacturer‘s brand name and markings, as well as a “refinished” stamp on one of the poles.  The re-coating is not necessarily applied according to manufacturer’s specifications, which can alter the performance.  By adding another layer of polyurethane gloss coating (laced with optical brighteners to make it “look” like new) the depth of the dimples is reduced which significantly changes the aerodynamics of the ball.  These are generally regarded as less desirable than recycled balls.  Some re-sellers include a disclaimer on the packaging similar to this:  “Used/Refurbished golf balls are subject to performance variations from new ones.”

The majority of second-hand balls are recovered from water hazards.  It only takes about 12 hours for water to penetrate the cover and find its way to the core.  The amount adsorbed varies among different types of balls and how long they are submerged, but even drying at high temperatures will not completely rid the ball of the water.  Submersion in water will result in the permanent adverse effect on the performance of a golf ball.

• Upvote 2

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Thanks for the detailed post. These are definitely marked as refurbished balls.

20170113_123500.jpg

Ping G Series - 3w & 5w 

Ping G5 - 7w & 5-PW

25 minutes ago, Joey G said:

Thanks for the detailed post. These are definitely marked as refurbished balls.

20170113_123500.jpg

That's correct.  I don't have any personal experience with balls from this particular company, so I'm not directing this comment at them, but in general there is a reason why any golf ball re-seller would go to the trouble and extra expense of stripping a ball, repainting it, and stamping new logos as opposed to washing with soap and water...it's because if they didn't, they wouldn't be able to sell them.

I know the price is attractive, but there are other options that can save money but still be a first-rate ball that will be consistent from ball-to-ball. 

• Upvote 1

Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

I found a "refurbished" Pro v1 on the course in some deep grass. It looked brand new.

My Son noticed the refurbished lettering.

I hit it into a par 3. When we got up there the ball had a hole in it.

Inside it looked like the ball was rotten  leather skinned, and dipped in white paint. 

I'll see if I still have it and get a pic.

• Upvote 1

Jack

Generally, yes, stick to recycled vs. refinished. You don't know what's under the new paint job and also the new paint job tends to fade fast. For the price, you're better off playing a cheaper ball, like one of the bulk Taylormade Lethals or a Costco Callaway Hex Soft (or a Kirkland ball if you can get your hands on a bunch). A higher handicapper like myself can benefit more from the mentality of treating your ball as important to your success more than from any benefits the ball will actually give. In other words, taking more care in your preparation and striving for consistency helps get you into a better mindframe for performing well. I played ProV1s for a while when I was striping it well, but I've recently been playing fine with non-descript Nike PD Softs. But I always prepare my game balls before the round with my markings and practice some touch shots to have a feel for how those particular balls will react. Getting into the mindframe of accounting for your ball's performance will have good carryover benefits for you game. But my belief is that you'll probably be OK regardless of what ball you play, until you get to at least a single digit handicap.

• Upvote 1

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

On 1/13/2017 at 1:53 PM, Joey G said:

http://challengegolfballs.com/

So the local Wally World carries these refurbished Pro V1 and Pro V1x balls for less than $20/doz. They look really good... obviously been repainted and relabeled just hoping they are really Pro V1's.

Anyone got experience with this company's refurbished golf balls?

20170113_123413.jpg

I've bought balls from http://www.lostgolfballs.com and they have been good. I've played refinished ProV1s (down if FL when I was playing a water course) and they are definitely not as good.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

call me wierd, but I am seriously considering getting a box of Pro V1's or another top brand to be used in practice only. At least there is less danger of losing them.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

13 hours ago, 1badbadger said:

...but in general there is a reason why any golf ball re-seller would go to the trouble and extra expense of stripping a ball, repainting it, and stamping new logos as opposed to washing with soap and water...it's because if they didn't, they wouldn't be able to sell them.

That completely makes sense. 

Ping G Series - 3w & 5w 

Ping G5 - 7w & 5-PW

11 hours ago, Hacker James said:

call me wierd, but I am seriously considering getting a box of Pro V1's or another top brand to be used in practice only. At least there is less danger of losing them.

As long as you mean a box of refurb ProV1s, haha. Even the practice area at Kapalua only had regular range balls.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

On 1/15/2017 at 0:35 PM, Hacker James said:

For a good way to build a supply of practice balls, every time you finish a round of golf, rather than putting the ball you were using back in your bag, throw it in your shag bag. Or if a ball gets scuffed during a round, take it out of play and put it towards the cause.  Before you know it, you'll have a nice pile for practicing with, and they will be the same ball that you normally use, which is perfect.

wide_shagbag_2798.jpg

• Upvote 1

Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Well, I played 9-holes today with the refurbs and I must say, they performed great all around. Not a scuff mark on any of the 3 balls that I rotated out today either. They honestly look as good as they did before the round.

Maybe I just got a good batch? Maybe I just grabbed the 3 good balls in the box? Maybe this company has a good process? I'm going to work my way through the others and see if they all perform consistently...if so, I might be easily tempted to buy 'em again.

Shot a 44 on 9 holes, that's good for me as I have yet to break 90 since picking the game back up.

Ping G Series - 3w & 5w 

Ping G5 - 7w & 5-PW

• 2 weeks later...

I find a lot of golf balls at a couple of clubs where I play.  I throw them in a bag when I leave the golf course and then dump them in a bucket filled with water and bleach to clean them up.  The "refinished" or "refurbished" golf balls...they come out of that bucket looking like they have fuzz all over them because of being repainted and what the bleach does to the paint.  

www.lostgolfballs.com is just down the road from my office.  I have picked up their AAAAA balls before and they were pretty much just like brand new balls.  They are recycled, not refurbished.

• Upvote 2

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

I find a lot of golf balls at a couple of clubs where I play.  I throw them in a bag when I leave the golf course and then dump them in a bucket filled with water and bleach to clean them up.  The "refinished" or "refurbished" golf balls...they come out of that bucket looking like they have fuzz all over them because of being repainted and what the bleach does to the paint.

this ^

find your own and clean and sort them.  Eventually one has TONS of balls and will never have to buy again.  I don't trust the ball if it has to be stripped and repainted, especially when just playing difficult courses I usually find more 'nearly new' balls than I ever lose.

the remainder of found balls with scuffs or slight discolorations are great to hit at ranges that allow that sort of thing

'lostgolfballs' seems to be legit to me - never heard of the OP's company before now

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 2640 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!