IGNORED

Justin freaking Thomas

TripleEagle
Note: This thread is 2610 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

11 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Bet Thomas wishes it was April instead of January..

That would have been more perfect, but I'd expect he's just glad it happened and he'll get into all the Majors now.

Kevin

It could shape up to be a very interesting year of Tour golf. You have young, "incandescent" talents like Thomas, slightly older incandescent talents like Spieth, established stars like DJ, Rory, Day, and Mickelson, and the return of an old lion like Tiger!

Could be a lot of fun!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah, I was fairly amazed watching Thomas' play in Hawaii. It was a rare display by any standard.

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

On 1/13/2017 at 3:48 PM, Chilli Dipper said:

Six wins? Calm it down.

No player has won six tournaments in one season since Tiger Woods in 2009, when he was still Tiger. Jordan Spieth both won five times in 2015; Rory McIlroy had a four-win season a few years back; and Dustin Johnson's best victory tally in one year is three. Justin Thomas is not at peak Tiger's level, and I wouldn't argue that he's better than the consensus top four players in the world are currently.

if he's going as he is now, he can definitely do it. If you take his 2 wins he already has then he is certainly a contender.

On 1/14/2017 at 8:12 AM, RandallT said:

For the Justin Thomas fans, some previous discussions about him here:

And the possibly prophetic thread about the next big name:

@TripleEagle- are you also @KavanDuBois, who created the thread immediately above (but you mentioned that you started it? We can merge profiles if you are the same person.

yup that'd be me. I did not know you could merge accounts, i'll have to do that.

15 minutes ago, TripleEagle said:

if he's going as he is now, he can definitely do it. If you take his 2 wins he already has then he is certainly a contender.

He's got two in the calendar year, but with the wrap-around I believe he has three.

• Upvote 1

Kevin

11 minutes ago, TripleEagle said:

He has 3.

Still, the odds are not in his favor.  Nobody has had more than 5 wins in a season since Tiger had 6 in 2009.  Further, only twice since 1980 has anybody not named Tiger Woods had more than 5 wins in a season; Vijay had 9 in 2005, and Nick Price had 6 in 1994.

• Upvote 2

Based on the interview I saw of him right after the victory this weekend I didn't get the impression he's thinking about winning 5 or 6 or whatever. He seemed to me to be thinking about just kicking *ss. I liked what I heard and his play was pretty dominating. I would expect him to be pushing near the top of the leaderboard often this year.

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

7 hours ago, TripleEagle said:

yup that'd be me. I did not know you could merge accounts, i'll have to do that.

@iacas did it for you already. It's a feature to manage the site, but I don't think people can do it themselves. 

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

Missed the cut. Just sayin. 

And I put him on my team this week. :doh:

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I tried him on my team again. +1 yesterday. Not exactly tearing up the tour...

Stop copying my failures! :-P

Scott

My Swing Thread

9 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

Aaaaaand he missed another cut.

We should pick him for the majors and bet against him. Every time I choose him, he stinks it up.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 2610 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!