IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

Tough par 4, view from tee is limited. Woods on both sidesleaves probably a 30ish yard alley to hit through. It's a steep downhill and then uphill to the opening about 200 out which is the crown of a hill with ob if you go too long and a dogleg left. I hit 2 hyb off the tee with a slight hook, could obviously see trajectory but due to the trees I didn't see exactly where it landed. Drove up and had hit it ~185 which left me 168 out. Easy 6i put me 6 feet from pin. I missed the birdie putt but did par it. Probably doesn't seem exciting, but having a chance for birdie on the courses hardest hole is big for me, I'm very new to the game. Partner scored a 10 (staying in play is tough on this hole.)

390 yard par 4.

I screwed up my drive like just about every one the last two games I've played and it went about 160 really low then on the ground bouncing and rolling.

I decided to give my new to me 3FW a shot and flubbed it about 80 yards.

Then I gave my 7 iron a shot thinking it was about right for the shot which was down hill, over water then up hill.

The ball hit short of the green and did a little bounce onto it.

I almost pushed a brick out because I thought it was about to roll in from what I could see.

When I got there it was 5 or 6 inches past the hole.

The only par of the day (I kinda suck) and I ended up with a final score of 103.

It's a cheap course so the condition of the grass is lacking but hey, it's only $15 and you get what you pay for. The nice thing about that place is that there's hardly ever anyone out there so you can play 18 alone in about 2 hours.

This is right after I hit it, you can barely make out the flag right in the middle of the picture on top of the hill.

6036257204_bedfb432bf_z.jpg

This is where it stopped.

6036257670_eb7cf3e9af_z.jpg

Hyper X 10ΒΊ driver Diablo Edge 9.5ΒΊ backup driver

Burner Rescue 3 hybrid 4-A irons 56ΒΊ wedge 60ΒΊ wedge CRAZ-E putter

Missed the fairway right off the tee with 3 Hybrid. 212 yards out with ball well below my feet. Aimed 15 yards left of green and ht my 6 iron to the front of the green which rolled up to around 12 feet. Two putt par.

:tmade:Β SLDR X-Stiff 12.5Β°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2Β° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Aaaah yes.....

I was on Vacation on St. Croix (US Virgin Islands).........playing a short 130yd par three.Β  This is the view from the tee.............

049-1.jpg

A beautiful short par3 over water....

This is a ZOOM view of the same hole from the tee.....after my tee shot.............I hit gap wedge and stiffed it to 2.5ft........

051-1.jpg

If you look closely....you can see my ball just left of the pin.......I knocked it stiff for an easy deuce!!!!!

this is the view from behind the green.........

053.jpg

This is Carambola Golf club on St. Croix.......a beautiful place to play golf......fer'ser!!!...and it's my best shot of the week.

HEH...

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big BerthaΒ Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
-Β CallawayΒ Big BerthaΒ 4-5 Rescue Clubs
--Β Mizuno Mx-25 sixΒ iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Played pretty well this weekend, and one shot in particular stands out in my mind. Long par 5, my tee shot was pulled into the left rough and ended up with a tree right smack in the path I needed to hit my next shot (about 5 yards in front of the ball). Decided to try "shaping" a hook around the tree just for kicks - a shot I had done on the range occasionally, but with very little consistent success. Aimed the club face at the center of the fairway about 150 yards up to a good lay-up yardage (right thru the trunk of the tree), aimed my body/swing line about 3 feet to the right of the tree trunk and made a smooth swing with a 5 iron. Made solid/clean contact (rough wasn't very "ruff" in that spot) and the ball started out like it was heading across the fairway, then the spin took over and the ball made a hard left turn and headed up the fairway - right to my lay-up spot. The worst thing about it ... I was playing alone and could only stand there in amazement that I actually pulled the shot off exactly as I had visioned it.

Of course, being so pumped at hitting that shot, the next shot was bombed to the back of the green on an upper tier of a 2 tier green with the pin planted in the front and 3 puts later I carded a bogey - but since I bogey this hole most of the time anyway, that was no real biggie ... still love thinking about hitting that "on purpose duck-hook" around the tree ....

Mark Boyd of the Clan Boyd
"Retired in my Dreams"

Β 

Once again......my best hole of the week was a par3.Β  165pin.............8-iron STIFF!!Β  I hit it high and the ball danced and spun right past the cup.Β Β  DAMN......when I saw it spin at the hole, I thought it was gonna drop!!!Β  For a brief instant, I thought I might score my 2nd ace....it looked that good from the tee.

Oh well......I'll take the kick-in deuce

What's in Paul's Bag:

Short, easy 310 yard Par 4. Pushed my drive way right. Had a 75% LW in. Stuck it to three inches. Thought it was gonna go down for my first eagle! But it didn't...

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @Β Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Β 

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

• Administrator

_.jpg Hit a good drive. Touch necky, but down the middle. 252 to the flag , got to cut the ball around some trees. This is position A in this shot (which is about a 20-yard wide fairway - but you can see the cut shot I've got to hit).

Take out the 3W, shot doesn't come off. Comes off straight where I'm aiming, takes a hop, and I think it may be lost in the red hazard pin high left.

Drive up to point B and the ball is left of it (in this view). It's on a slight downslope, and then from my ball to the hole it's uphill about 15 feet. The cart path is nearly at eye level so the 15 feet isn't an exaggeration.

Mind you I'm playing in a match on the back nine against Dave and James (I'd shoot even and we tied the match overall), so I'm not really keen on laying up. My partner's the bunker short left of the green in three, so there's an outside chance he'll get up and down.

Anyway, I'm 50 yards, maybe 40 away. I've got no chance, and I'm just thinking "fly it to the hole and hope it grabs." I've got no green to work with - I paced it off later and it's 12-13 feet. I've gotta clear the very edge of the bunker and Dave's driving around the green and is supposed to bring my putter up to me because I didn't grab it.

I'm two feet from being in the red staked area.

I'd only grabbed the 54 - I almost never hit the 60 degree wedge - and I lay the face open. I take a mid-sized swing trying to juice the ball pretty good and still get some loft. The shot's heading right at the pin with good distance. As it's coming down Dave's dad (my partner) says "good shot."

It hits, I'm thinking it's pretty good, and he says "great... IT'S IN! IT WENT IN THE HOLE!"

True enough it did. My ball mark was three feet in front of the hole and it just hopped right in the hole after that first bounce.

Hole won. (We later lost a hole, and played the other seven dead even.)

Longest hole-out of the year for me.

"Looked like an eagle the hole way" I said.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My son hit the best shot of the day yesterday, he borrowed my hybrid and was pin high with his second shot on a 490 yd par five. Β After apologizing to the group ahead of us he proceeded to three putt.

Had a pretty pedestrian round today so not much to write home about. Guess my best shot was on the 18th, 294 yards. My tee shot I pull hooked into a tree 120 yards (!), had to use 7i and punch it low as far down the fairway as I could and past a huge oak tree that overhangs the fairway - brutal for wedges into green. My 3rd was from about 95 and I knuckled it into the front bunker protecting the green. Opened my 56* all the way - if I thin it it's going into water. Made a nice easy swing through and got the ball to within 4 feet from the cup. Got out with bogey.

My only sand shot of the day, pretty happy with it. Been having up and down bunker play lately.

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

i golfed terribly yesterday, but I had an amazing shot. I was about 60 yards from the pin and the hole was slightly off to the left and there was a tree in my way (about 30 yards away). Being the type of player who refuses to just layup on the back of the green, (it costs me a lot ofmshots always trying the hard shots) I decide to fade around the tree (Im a lefty) and I open my stance aiming right, open my club face and swing. Shot curves about 20-30 yards left on a hard fade and lands and rolls ten feet to within 6 inches of the cup. Nearly holed it! One of my best shots ever.

I was on the 5th hole of my local course in upstate New York, a very rolling and hilly golf course.Β  I hit a decent tee shot down the middle of the fairway, but did not clear a collection of trees so I had no clear veiw of the par 5 green in just two shots (about 495 yards).Β  I decided to get creative and go for the green instead of hitting a low iron to get over the trees and I pulled out a 5 wood from about 210, and practiced a few swings in an attempt to generate a mild fade.Β  Sure enough I nutted it and it had a fast, hard fade back towards the green that left me extremely excited about an eagle put anywhere on the green.Β  As I approached the green I realized just how good my shot was as it sat about 5 feet away from the cup below the hole for a very straight and easy eagle putt uphill.Β  I drilled the putt in the middle of the cup for a very satifying eagle, especially since I bogeyed the hole before that and eventually the hole after that (the two hardest holes on the course in between an almost 500 yard par 5).Β  Gotta love golf!

2 stick out for me...Poor drive which led to a hooded 5 iron up around the green and holed out from just off for a birdie. Then, on what I consider the 2nd toughest hole at my course (Aurora Golf Club), the 12th hole. 90 degree dogleg right with a river running through the dogleg. 250 carry out to the landing area. Stuck a 2 hybrid on the far side of the fairway on the corner. 147 to pin and stuck a PW to within 18 inches for a tap in birdie

Driver:Β Β R9 Supertri 10.5* -Β Β 909D3 9.5*

2 Hybrid:Β Β 2009 TP Rescue 17*

Irons:Β Β R9 TP 3-PW

Wedges:Β Β Vokey 54* & 60*

Putter:Β Β 2Ball Vline 34"

Hmm... it would have to be one of two:

Downhill par 4 to an elevated green, about 460 yards with a bad crosswind. Pulled my tee shot into some rough about 330 yards down but way below the level of the green, leaving me unable to see the flag with 2 bunkers protecting the green right on my line in. Pulled out a 9 iron and stiffed it, flying the bunkers and finishing 2 feet past the hole for birdie. :)

Or... long 510 yard par 5, slightly uphill but with wind. Flew my drive about 290 straight into a fairway bunker, with a cluster of trees positioned right between me and the green about 30 yards away. It's a 2 tier green sloping away with OOB just 15 yards over the back - danger, what danger? Went for my trusty Burner rescue and nailed it out the bunker, pitching just short of the green and rolling on to about 8 feet. Missed it for eagle, but eh!

:D

I attempt to get round with:

Β 

Β SL290 Driver, 9*, 43S Shaft

Β FL Fairway, 15*, 43S Shaft

Burner Superfast 2.0 Hybrid, 18*, Reg. Shaft

CG16 Tour Black Pearl Irons, FST KBS Tour Reg+ Shafts

CG16 Black Pearl 48-8* Wedge

CG15 52-10*, 58-10*, 60-8* Wedges

Method 001 Putter

Β 

Β 

YEA BABY!!Β Β  I scored my 5th eagle of 2011 on Sunday!!!

The setup:

Our 15th hole is a short par 5 that plays 500yds down a hill. It plays short anyway, but I had a nice wind at my back on sunday. Thanks to the wind, I had 180-185yds 2nd shot and hit 8-iron to 10ft........and I made the putt OH YEA!!

This is what the 2nd shot looks like after a 275yd drive: My drive on sunday rolled all the way to the end of the fairway(315-320yds). You can see where the fairways ends, and then breaks into 2 pieces.
My ball stopped just short of the rough at the very end.

059.jpg

A creek splits the fairway and runs diagonally all the way down to protect the left side of the green. The green itself very deep, but narrow so there isn't a lot of room for lateral error on the approach. Miss to the left, and you are praying the ball finds the greenside bunker because anything that hits hits that left-greenside side-slope is destined to kick straight left into the creek. Miss to the right and it's still a tough up/in because the green slopes hard towards the creek. If you miss by more than a few yards, you might get a downhill lie chipping to a downhill slope from the right......not easy.
Overall...this hole is definitely one of the easiest holes on my home course, and it's definitely a good opportunity to make an eagle. ...but you still need to hit two quality shots........ and make the putt!!!

On sunday, I did both

What's in Paul's Bag:

2nd hole, a little under 140 yards to the green. My drive landed left of the fairway on hard dirt just 4 or so inches from a tree. A straight line to the green just barely passed through tree trunk, and on the line left of the green there were several more trees. My only shot was hit a chip out of trouble or a strong fade over the other trees. I figured the rescue cut shot, even if it messed up, was the better option. I set myself up and hit it dead straight where I aimed, through one tree and over the rest, and it faded about 20 yards back to the right, caught a hill protecting the green and kicked farther right rolling onto the green. I was stoked that I'd actually hit the green from such a lie.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)