IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

Par 5, Ninth hole at my home course. Found the fairway from the tee and left myself exactly 200 to the green. Pulled my 4 iron, Chunk. A 30 yard roller..Tried again, same result. I put the club away, grabbed my 7 iron and from the same 200 yards away spot I smashed it onto the fringe leaving about a 7 footer for "eagle". Needless to say I played my original ball from the first chunk and ended up saving par. Never hit a 7 iron that far before.
Titleist 910D2 Titleist 910F 19* Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-PW Top Flite Tour Wedge 56* Cleveland Smart Square Putter

I was almost up again the collar on a par 3 so I used my 3H to hit the ball instead of using a wedge or putting. I holed out for birdie in front of my idol Cipher who was nice enough to take me to his club today.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

About 100 yards to the pin, pin was in an area that I could just fire right at it. Problem is that 100 yards for me is in between clubs. I don't have a Gap wedge yet...I usually hit a choked up easy PW at this distance. My SW is usually an 80 to 90 yard full swing. I just knew with the way I've been hitting the ball that day that it'd probably go over the green with the PW and I didn't want to take a 3/4 choked up swing.

So I grabbed my SW and just...well....'gripped it and ripped it'

Stuck it 3 feet from the hole. Got the birdie. Then birdied the next hole :banana:

First time with back to back birdies.

• Upvote 1

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Probably for the first time ever, I played a hole like the pros would. So, apologies that this is two shots, but here goes:

This was 18, which is a medium length par four that is sort of a dogleg right - the fairway is straight, but the tee boxes are at a diagonal to the start of the fairway. There are trees on the right side of the fairway, which makes it difficult to cut the corner too much. The wind was blowing straight down the fairway, so off the tee it was behind us, blowing slightly left to right. Normally on this hole I don't hit driver because I can run through the fairway unless I take a too aggressive line. But today, I wanted to just launch the ball high into the air and let the wind blow it down the hole. I did exactly what I wanted to do - I hit a really high drive that had just a bit of a fade to it. The wind caught it and it went forever. It ended up being a 318 yard drive, GPS confirmed. It actually wasn't in the fairway, but I didn't care.

I'm now laying ~50 yards out from the pin. I hit a 3/4ish LW, and the ball is tracking right at the pin. It lands probably 7-10 feet short of the pin and starts rolling right at it. From where I was, it looked like it would stop short of the pin. But I still jokingly said "go in." It hits the pin and somehow lips out out of the hole. No idea how that was possible considering it looked like it had stopped rolling to me. I ended up with a 2 foot birdie putt, which I made.

Even though it was a short shot, I've never hit the flag on an approach shot before. It was pretty cool. An eagle 2 would have been nice, but I'm not complaining (I swear!).

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

"Best shot" of my vacation week (in quotations because it was nothing but luck).

Glenlakes Golf Club. Foley, AL. Hole number 10. Par 5.

Plugged about 4 inches deep in the lip of the bunker. Green sloping away and short sided with the pin placement. Stance doing the splits with my left leg out of the bunker. Closed the club face and swung as hard as I could and hit it to 5 feet and made the putt. Probably the sheer luckiest up and down I ever had.

#15 209 yard Par 3 at the Jewel I put my tee in a bunker - 40 to 50 yards from a tight pin position

set up  - I knew I'd have to swing pretty clean firm on it for that much distance

closed my face just a tad before the hit to get a bit 'extra'

super good hit, just the right amount of sand behind the ball and it flew high

I was sure I overshot the hole

it landed soft 2 feet from the hole and stopped a couple inches from my ball mark

(had a similar shot on the 200 yard 11th hole, but more dramatic as it was a very steep uphill lie that really flew high - and another one from the deep rough the first time through on 15 - we played 36 holes)

why can't I stay out of the bunkers?

(really please with my hazard play yesterday - not please that I was in the hazards - unfortunately a lot more examples than just the three above....)

Bill - 

• 2 weeks later...

17th Hole at Stone Canyon:  385yd par4..................

I hit a big drive for an old hack like me.  I had exactly 99 yards to the pin and darn it to hell............ I missed!!  Damn it......LOL

This green has serious slopes you can't see in the pic that can repel approaches clear off the green into terrible places making the approach difficult regardless of the yardage in.   This wasn't an issue today...............  My only birdie of the day!!....sheesh, I feel like the only way I make birdie anymore is to knock the ball inside a foot!!!

PS...the back9 greens were just punched and sanded...........and you can hardly tell!  My course does a less invasive aeration in the fall where they just prick small holes and top-dress with sand.  The greens were a little sandy today, but still lightening fast!!!

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Sunday:

Suncrest #12, par 5 - Hit second shot to about 80 yards, but behind a pin oak tree. Opened a gap wedge, hit it very high, and the ball finished about 4 feet away from the pin. Unfortunately, I missed the birdie putt.

Thursday:

River Forest #11, par 5 - 80 yards from the pin in two again, but this time I didn't have to go over a tree. From the time I hit the shot I could tell it was good. The ball hit less than a foot from the cup and finished, you guessed it, 4 feet from the pin.  This time I did make the birdie putt.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Lots of good shots including some approaches and a couple super nice drives on a couple par 5s.....but

Short and narrow and tree lined par 4 I pulled my driver (yes, I should have just teed off with the hybrid) left deep into the trees on the left - pull and hook.

Pine needles, lots of trees, pretty much a parade ground of columns in the way, 40 yards in at least.  one nice bit is the trees all were clear of branches up to at least 15-20 feet - kinda felt like a nature museum in there, peaceful, quiet, smelled good........  I had only two good openings - one angled toward the green, the other straight out but closer.  I picked the one to the green anyway as the opening was about the same size - maybe 15 feet.

took a mid iron and lofted down and swing a short chip like shot -

Absolutely bisected the gap of the trees and put it right dead center of the fairway about 50 yards from the green.  (left the chip just short, then a bad chip on and 2 putt.....it was the only good shot on the hole really).  I think that blue line is pretty close to it.....

Still double bogied the hole, but that shot was the best of the day and I felt really good about it.

Bill - 

First round with the sldr s driver. Had a 350 yard drive on hole 10. Yes it was down wind with about a two club wind. (Lasered from ball back to the group on the tee)

Sunday at 3 Lakes GC in Penn Hills, PA.  Hole #9 I was in the rough 145 yards uphill to the pin with a large, deciduous, 30' tree directly in the way.  When I was younger I would have hit a 7 iron over the tree without thinking twice. At age 64, this was not as easy as yesteryear. I figured that it was playing an extra 10 yards at 155, so I decided to hit my current 160 yard club, a 5 iron, open it up a little, and tell myself to think young. Well, the ball barely cleared the tree and flew directly over the pin, ending up in the fringe 20 feet past the hole. I wish I could say that I made the putt, but I did get down in 2 for a par.

I love this game!

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Playing laying a two ball round at my home course, I was about 25 yards from the hole, and I was in the sand 8 feet below the hole in a greenside bunker. I took aim and hit a ball and slam dunked it into the hole for a birdie. I didn't get to see it go in because I was below the hole but I heard it and was pretty sure. When I got up to the green I didn't see the ball, went and looked and there was in the hole.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Nice shot!!  Those greens look a little shaggy!   You have to hate it when a group can't replace the pin into the cup, and they gouge the turf!!  Sheesh....

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Had my best shot of the year last friday, only 5 day's after my almost hole in one,  I made an Eagle on a par4. 330y par 4 with water on the right side of the fairway. Hit my 3-wood to 125y.

The guy I was playing with, hit his second shot form 150y to one foot and then it was my turn. Second shot in the hole for my second Eagle ever. B-)

My best shot of the week was on a 145 yard par 3. I misjudged what club to use when I teed off so my ball ended up being about 10 yards short of the green. The green is sloped to the left and the hole was positioned about 35 feet into the green and off to the left side of the slope. For my second shot I used my 7 iron hoping to get my ball close enough to the pin to save par. I hit the ball and it rolled onto the green and broke fairly hard to the left and gently rolled into the cup for a birdie.