IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

I was playing a practice round today and i had a putt from off the fringe on a steep down hill slope. About 10 feet. Hit the pin and fell for par. Then about 3 holes later on a par 3 i was about 20 feet to the green. I flubbed my first chip like 3 ft, then chipped the next one in for par.

This hole doesn't seem so spectacular unless you realize that the green is quite small. You shoot short of the green and you're in the creek. You overshoot the green and once again you're in the creek. It's not the easiest up and down I have come across. Nevertheless here is how I fared on this hole.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was on the 18th hole at my course, which is a long downhill par 5 about 530 yards long, tree-lined. I hit an okay tee shot that found the centre of the fairway, then hit the best 3 wood shot I've ever hit in my life. Perfect contact, perfect swing, perfect everything plus I didn't even feel the ball when I hit. The ball went about 270 yards which is longer than most of my drives. I ended up parring the hole after an 80 yard chip and two-putt.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5ΒΊ)

Wood:Β :ping: G15 3 (15.5Β°)

Hybrids:Β :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21ΒΊ), 4 (24ΒΊ)

Irons:Β :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50ΒΊ, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56ΒΊ

Yesterday I hit a fairway, but bounced into a sand trap. Β About 150 yards from the green. Β Normally I just grab a SW and try my best to just get out of the hole, but I decided to try a different approach. Β I had a pretty good lie in hard packed sand. Β No lip in the way or anything. Β I grabbed a 6 iron and managed to hit the green from the bunker 150 yards out!

Then I couldn't capitalize on it. Β 3 putt for a bogey. :blink:

I played my best round ever today. I made my first birdie and i missed 2 others by inches. My best shot of the week or ever lol was on a par 3..151 yd 9th hole. I used my 8 iron and hit a perfect shot that stopped about 5 ft dead even to the left of the hole which I putted perfectly to end a very nice day....I love this game

My best shot of the week was a chip in from 15 yds. off the green to save par

My best shot this week led toΒ an improbable birdie.Β  I pulled my drive into the trees.Β  It hit solid and bounced back out onto the fairway!Β  Still had 185 uphill into a good breeze.Β  Hit a hybrid right on the screws with a little fade to 7 feet!Β  Made the putt.Β  I know a par after hitting a tree is called a barkie.Β  What is it if you birdie after hitting a tree?!?

Occam's razor

From last Friday:

Either a 160 yard sand shot to within 6 feet for birdie on the first hole of the first round

or a 185 yard fairway wood to an elevated green into the wind on the course's longest par 4 during our scrambles on the 2nd round - the others left every shot significantly short and I was the last to hit

Bill -Β 

Sunday, June 28.Β  Hole #9 (played back nine first) plays ~390 from blue tees.Β  Because of a 'moat' and rock paver wall in front of green, it's always a layup hole for me. Hit driver to about 170, layed up with a 9 iron leaving 58 yards to a middle far left pin.

Left my approach shot well right to have a good angle to left pin position.Β  Pulled the 58 degree wedge and opened it up just a bit.Β  Hit a very high straight one that landed directly in the cup for THREE.Β  Jarred it without touching anything before coming to rest in the hole.

Upon retrieving the ball, there was absolutely no damage anywhere to the immediate cup area.Β  I mean the ball touched nothing but the bottom of the flag stick inside the cup.Β  What a cool sound, too!

This year's goal was to hit chips and pitches and short wedge shots all the way to or past the hole EVERY TIME.Β  I can't tell you how many times in past seasons I've left easy pitches and chips 20 or more feet SHORT of the hole. And it's so simple:Β  Hit the damn ball FARTHER and rely on the stopping power of a soft golf ball and good wedges.

So far this season, I've played about 30 or so rounds of golf and holed short shots 8 times for pars or birdies just by getting the ball TO THE HOLE and then some.Β  I'd much prefer 10' PAST the hole than 20' short any day.Β  And it's paying dividends.Β  Yesterdays round was 46 - 39 for an 85 total.Β  One of my better and more consistent rounds this season.Β  Had a freakin' EIGHT on the par-5 11th hole.Β  Ouch.

Get those short shots to and past the hole regularly and good things will happen!

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Two best shots of the week for me :)

Shot 1 - Driver, 286 yards with a lovely fade right up the guts of the fairway.

Shot 2 - 4 iron, 215 yards centre of green!

Followed by putt for eagle which just stopped short of the hole (another half role and I would have had my second ever eagle!).

Turned my courses second par 5 in to a long par 4 (only the second time Ive done this). Really chuffed with how all the planets were in alignment, my tongue was in the correct side of my mouth, striking the ball in between heart beats and how awesomely that one hole went! :)

Regards

Mailman

Mailman

I have very few posts in this thread in 2015 because I have had very few shots worth talking about....LOLΒ Β  I haven't played much lately because I'm sick and tired of slopping around on a saturated waterlogged course.Β Β  It seems like it's rained 4 days a week for the past month and a half!!!Β Β  Today was maybe the 2nd or 3rd time I played when it wasn't so wet that it was cart path only.Β Β Β Today was the first time when the course finally played like "SUMMER" prime condition when the ball was rolling out nicely.Β Β  There's actually ROLL now!! LOL...and I need it to be able to reach any of the par5s.

TODAY:

9th Hole: 500yd par5:

This is the approach view after a nice drive:Β Β  this is an older pic, but the view hasn't changed much.Β  Carry aΒ nasty ravineΒ short and don't miss left.......or too far right!Β  LOL

After a nice drive, I had 208yds to the flag positioned on the right half of the green.

My ball came to rest 16-17ft pin-high left of the pin.Β Β (I paced it off afterwards)..LOL

You can see my pitch mark at the bottom of the pic.

...and I drained it!!Β Β  This is only my 2nd realistic look at Eagle this year, so it felt very good to get my first of 2015 in the books!!!

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big BerthaΒ Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
-Β CallawayΒ Big BerthaΒ 4-5 Rescue Clubs
--Β Mizuno Mx-25 sixΒ iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Best my shot was this Friday on the 18th hole, a 487 yd dogleg right par 5. I pulled my first ball into the hazard and was forced to drop in a pocket of trees around 220 yards out. I used a 3i and hooked it outa jail and carried the 180 yd hazard leaving a makeable 6 footer. It was definitely one of the craziest birdies I've ever made.

In the bag:
Driver: R9 Supertri
3W: R9
3i-PW: Mizuno Mp-68
Wedges: Taylormade Racs
Putter: PING Redwood blade

Best shot of the week came yesterday.Β  I landed about 15 yards short of the green on a par 3, facing a pitch over a bunker to get on the green (with the pin about 12 ft. from the front edge).Β  I jarred it for my third birdie of the day (the other two were both fairly long putts I holed from off the green).Β  That post-round beer tasted extra good yesterday.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:Β  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Yesterday. Par 3 at 132 yards into a slight wind. Played a half swing, choked up PW that flew straight at the flag. Landed 15" short and rolled to 2 inches left of the cup and hole high. That was my only 1 put on the day. 13 birdie putts and only made 1... from 2 freaking inches.

410 yard hole, dog leg left and the usual shot is to just carry the bunker on the left that is like 220 to carry and then have a 100-140 yards in but today I pulled my drive over the trees near the river on the far left and I thought I had gone into the little river so I hit a provisional but then we drive around and there my ball is. I must of just absolutely killed it because I had 54 yards into the green but man I might need to start trying that shot more often on that hole.

210 yd par 3. I hook my hybrid into the right rough, still about 45 yds short of pin. I hit a half SW to about 1 foot, drained the par.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17*Β 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter:Β Ping Prime Tyne 4

418 yard par 4. Tee shot was a 250 yard 4 iron to the right rough uner a tree in between two roots with just barely enough room to swing through. 2nd shot was a punch 7 out from between the roots as best I could just 60 yards leaving 108 to middle green. [Best Shot] 3rd shot was a beautiful blind shot drawing 9 iron over a tree that got just a tad too much backspin and left me with a 30 foot putt to save my par. 4th shot, drained my par putt and ended +14 through the round.