IGNORED

Help, I cut down my wedge and now anything beyond 60yds is a disaster

Note: This thread is 2642 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Swing weight is nothing more than a number derived by comparing that portion of a club left of the fulcrum to that on the right.  With enough weight, in the right place, one could fashion a 25lb golf club that had the same "swing weight" as any other club in the bag.  In short: it is just one factor among many.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

23 minutes ago, Bomber09 said:

What ive learned about swing weights is that they arent as true as posted. Putting  14" pivot point for weight reference has no real clout in an actual golfers hands. The pivot point should be somewhere closer to the grip. Explain this. How does a d2 sand wedge cut down 1" feel the same when regripped with a heavier grip, and shorter shaft and only weigh C2.5? I'm starting to believe that there are without a doubt differences in what clubs weight vs how they actually feel. I have a 6i thats D1/2 and it feels great but the 7i weighs the same and it feels lighter and is mildly harder to control. Same with the 5i. It weighs D1/2 and feels light.  

Swingweight.PNG

If you're using different scales, make sure they are all using the 14" method.  This could explain the discrepancy  A D-2 wedge cut down 1" and re-gripped with a heavier grip should feel drastically different than before it was cut down.

10 minutes ago, Piz said:

Swing weight is nothing more than a number derived by comparing that portion of a club left of the fulcrum to that on the right.  With enough weight, in the right place, one could fashion a 25lb golf club that had the same "swing weight" as any other club in the bag.  In short: it is just one factor among many.

This is a good point.  At Nike's R & D dept called The Oven in Ft. Worth they had a club that weighed 3 lbs, and a swing weight of D2.  They used it to show that you shouldn't get too wrapped up in the numbers, like when a pro would insist that all his clubs weigh exactly D2.  There are other factors to consider.

• Upvote 1

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

8 hours ago, 1badbadger said:

Swingweight.PNG

If you're using different scales, make sure they are all using the 14" method.  This could explain the discrepancy  A D-2 wedge cut down 1" and re-gripped with a heavier grip should feel drastically different than before it was cut down.

This is a good point.  At Nike's R & D dept called The Oven in Ft. Worth they had a club that weighed 3 lbs, and a swing weight of D2.  They used it to show that you shouldn't get too wrapped up in the numbers, like when a pro would insist that all his clubs weigh exactly D2.  There are other factors to consider.

Uh, yeah! Like total weight of the club. These supposed "points" are nothing but misdirection! No club manufacturer makes a 3lb club let alone a 25lb one! The example offered was an existing wedge that the OP cut down the shaft and now he can't hit it, not some tricked up gizmo designed to demonstrate how swingweight isn't all that "important!"

Sound like more club maker "jiggery pokery" going on here!

1 hour ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Uh, yeah! Like total weight of the club. These supposed "points" are nothing but misdirection! No club manufacturer makes a 3lb club let alone a 25lb one! The example offered was an existing wedge that the OP cut down the shaft and now he can't hit it, not some tricked up gizmo designed to demonstrate how swingweight isn't all that "important!"

Sound like more club maker "jiggery pokery" going on here!

Slow your roll Buckeye...no one is "misdirecting" anyone and there is no "jiggery pokery" going on, whatever that means. There were specific questions about swingweight, so my reply was on topic. It was a simple example to show the importance of taking everything into consideration rather than just one aspect of a club.  I never said swingweight wasn't important...of course it is, but I just wanted to remind everyone not to zero-in on just that, because achieving the perfect swingweight doesn't mean the club is hittable.  

No jiggery pokery...just good advice from a professional equipment tech and club builder.

• Upvote 4

Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

7 hours ago, 1badbadger said:

Slow your roll Buckeye...no one is "misdirecting" anyone and there is no "jiggery pokery" going on, whatever that means. There were specific questions about swingweight, so my reply was on topic. It was a simple example to show the importance of taking everything into consideration rather than just one aspect of a club.  I never said swingweight wasn't important...of course it is, but I just wanted to remind everyone not to zero-in on just that, because achieving the perfect swingweight doesn't mean the club is hittable.  

No jiggery pokery...just good advice from a professional equipment tech and club builder.

Great points. All things need to be considered in properly setting up a club. I have a swing weight scale and have played around with it including the effect of grip weight. 

For me, swing weight really correlates to being able to feel where the head is. Too light a head or head/shaft combination makes it harder for me to feel where the head is in the back swing. I've experimented with removing the head weight in my driver completely vs. having the max head weight in there. You can feel the difference even though the total weight of the head is only 12 grams different. With no weight, the club "felt" too light.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

too many get the idea that it is a static weight. It is "apparent" weight, and while the actual weights of the components that make up the build of a golf club are considered, it is not an exact science and the results and effects will vary among individuals. An example would be by choking down could change the swing weight, the actual weights are obviously unchanged, and an additional factor is entered - counter weight by virtue by the amount of grip extending beyond the hands as was previously pointed out. The swing weight calculations are however, a good approximation and starting basis.

Edited by Hacker James
  • Upvote 1

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• Administrator

@Buckeyebowman, both the static weight AND the swingweight matter.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Ok so I got the lead tape today and reweighted and balanced everything and what i realized is that having a short wedge with about 10g added to the head had the feel of a D2 full size iron. So i guess in a since I was right about the feel between the letter designations are different when there are shaft length variations. All I have left to do now is go test everything on the range to see if "feel is not real". By the way, after the shaft was cut down and the larger grip was put on, it supposedly went from D2/3 to B7/8. Now it's @ C4 or 6. And just for comparison purposes my Driver thru GW are D5. Of course the LW doesnt feel like the short irons but it does feel like the mid to long irons. I'll keep everyone posted on the range results. 

5 hours ago, Bomber09 said:

Ok so I got the lead tape today and reweighted and balanced everything and what i realized is that having a short wedge with about 10g added to the head had the feel of a D2 full size iron. So i guess in a since I was right about the feel between the letter designations are different when there are shaft length variations. All I have left to do now is go test everything on the range to see if "feel is not real". By the way, after the shaft was cut down and the larger grip was put on, it supposedly went from D2/3 to B7/8. Now it's @ C4 or 6. And just for comparison purposes my Driver thru GW are D5. Of course the LW doesnt feel like the short irons but it does feel like the mid to long irons. I'll keep everyone posted on the range results. 

That does not sound right. You are saying that after adding in 10g of headweight, the swing weight went down? It should be closer to the D2/3

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

37 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

That does not sound right. You are saying that after adding in 10g of headweight, the swing weight went down? 

never mind, I was thinking of something else.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

On 1/30/2017 at 8:41 PM, iacas said:

@Buckeyebowman, both the static weight AND the swingweight matter.

Which I thought is what I said! But the guys calling me out don't seem to have an issue with 3lb clubs or 25lb clubs as long as the "swingweight" is OK! Come on now!

The OP said that he cut down his wedge and had a problem when he tried to hit it hard. In his words, "anything over 60 yards was a nightmare!" This tells me swingweight is the problem! He can't feel the clubhead.

(edited)

So I went out today an played 9. I'll admit, even tho the feel was there, I honestly had to change my tempo to hit the shot that I normally hit. Long story short, the added head weight wasnt enough, I should get another shaft and start over but instead I bought a Mack Daddy 2 (58*) used off ebay. I've learned my lesson. Lol! And I'm leaving this new wedge completely stock! I honestly feel like i had more control over the wedges with a standard grip anyway. Probably because thats all I've ever used on wedges.

Edited by Bomber09

You do realize that the wedges are the heaviest in your bag do you not? I consider anything greater than a PW a specialty iron,and more often than not, less than  full swing. With  exceptions of course.

"James"

I completely understand what you're saying. I just feel like the weight added to the head made the shaft softer, which makes me swing way softer and also leads to fat shots. The shaft just feels bowie. I could try butt weighting it like someone said a couple of posts ago and reduce the lead tape to 5oz to counter the larger grip. I just dont have all the time to keep messin with these wedges. 

4 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Which I thought is what I said! But the guys calling me out don't seem to have an issue with 3lb clubs or 25lb clubs as long as the "swingweight" is OK! Come on now!

First of all, you called me out Buckeye.  That's why I responded.

Secondly, that's exactly the opposite of what I said.  I was pointing out that just because the swingweight is ok, does not mean the club is hittable.  Other things like the length, shaft flex, overall weight etc. are important too, so it was just a reminder to not forget about the big picture.  It's easy to get zeroed in on 1 aspect and forget about about other specs.  If you'll go back and read my posts, I think you'll see we actually agree that swingweight isn't the only consideration.

Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Note: This thread is 2642 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!