IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge February 2017

iacas
Note: This thread is 2574 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Welcome to the "5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge for February, 2017! The rules are the same as always:

• Make a somewhat detailed post describing your practice every day during the month.
  • No back-dating or pre-dating posts or practice sessions.
  • On the last day of the month, if you completed the challenge, post about it, preferably in red text or something so I can notice it and give you the award.
  • Detail what you did for at least five minutes of practice (indoors or out, with or without golf balls, etc.).

Enjoy and practice hard!

Note: you can miss one day per monthly challenge if you have a good excuse and still be valid to win the monthly award.

BTW since February is the shortest month… if you've ever wanted to do the least amount possible to get the 5 Minutes Award, this is your month to do it! :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2/01 - pitches with wiffle ball with focus on impact position for straight ball flight (I pulled it the last few times I hit a pitch during actual round)

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

2/1 - 15 minutes mirror work. Focusing on key 3 drill with emphasis on the shoulder turn through impact. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2/1: Hour on the practice green at the range today. Worked on pitching. Still having trouble with tight lies. My big issue is the practice doesn't seem to help all that much. Because of the "float loady" technique, I find it hard to slow things down like I would with my regular swing so I just end up hitting bad shots one after the other. I moved back to the rough and had no trouble popping them up and placing them where I wanted. Oh well, something to work on. ;-)

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

20 min

sklz swing trainer

7 iron. Feet together swings around body. Y and L swings with lag 

pump drill full swings and then straight full swings to feel lag and no casting

repeat drill with driver

stronger sense of lag and coming from inside. As I practice with no balls, hard to tell if I am doing it correct

sunday will check at range and on course

2/1: Hit foam-rubber balls in my yard with an 8-iron for about 20 minutes. The main thought was to find a comfortable position with my trailing elbow at the top of the backswing: not stuck at my side, but not flying all over the place, either.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

2/2 - 15 minutes mirror work. Focused on Key 3 and completing shoulder turn.

...:-P

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2/02 - 4-6ft putts with focus on bead

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

2/2: right elbow and left wrist. 10 minutes backswing in mirror.

Also did some full speed swings to try to get those fast twitch muscles going in winter. Not really focusing on form, but trying to stay somewhat cognizant of a decent backswing position after the drills above. Mainly it's about speed, with the Torc trainer on.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Missed yesterday... wife's birthday, so I had a lot of things to do.  Anyway... 

2/2/2017 - I hit about 35 balls with my lob wedge and sand wedge to targets between 50 and 75 yards away.  I focused on a short backswing and consciously keeping my weight forward through impact.  I was happy with the results.  

I also hit about 15 balls with my driver focusing on making my grip slightly looser to allow the club to release which helps to prevent the occasional block that seems to pop up once in awhile on me.

The rest of the balls (about 25 more) were hit with a pitching wedge to a target at about 110 yards and a 6 iron to a target at about 160 yards.  The focus on all those swings was a slow, smooth takeaway.  

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

• Administrator
8 hours ago, boogielicious said:

...:-P

Love it!

54 minutes ago, Fairway_CY said:

Missed yesterday... wife's birthday, so I had a lot of things to do.  Anyway... 

It's an unwritten rule, but I let you take one day off now for special circumstances.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

30 min

sklz swing trainer. Big smooth swings to warm up--funny how everything cracks on my first warm up swings and I seem to get more cracks the better the sequencing of swing from top of backswing with turn--crack--arms--crack--and finally hands whoosh thru with a few more cracks

7 iron swings. Brush swings around body with feet together. Y and L swings in normal stance trying to feel lag. Full swing pump drill followed by full swings.

same routine with driver, which seems easier to lag than 7 iron, hmmm

2 sets of each.

today's swing question: how do I get natural hand release to swing club through hitting zone. When I can find it, feels like I just pull handle and club whips thru hitting zone

2/2: Well, I couldn't wait any longer. Started working on a new piece that @iacas identified in my swing thread. 10 minutes of slow back swings with my 7 iron, just up to A3, focusing on bring arms more up rather than around, and checking position of my hands relative to my toes at A3. Hit a few shots in between reps with nice results. Then 10 minutes of pitching practice for fun.

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

2/2: While standing around at work, I did some drills rehearsing the trailing elbow for about ten minutes, getting accustomed to the correct feeling at the top of the swing.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

2/03 - minipitches with wiffle balls in house going from rug to rug. Focus was on technique itself and producing a straight ball flight

IMG_4089.JPG

• Upvote 3

-Jonny

Note: This thread is 2574 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!