IGNORED

How to Address People Hitting Into You?

HitAndGiggle
Note: This thread is 2623 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

First, my general gripe. Not that I'm some great duffer...I'm not. But, when I golf with friends and/or my wife and kid I find that I'll smack a tee shot out there then spend time meandering down the fairway as they play catchup with a couple shots. This takes time. I'm really working on getting my son to understand playing "ready golf". Not to sound sexist but some of the wives will never get that - haha. What I find as a result is that by the time I'm ready to hit a second shot or sink a put for par the group behind us is breathing down our backs, sometimes talking smack, and all to often hitting into us. I can't help but get steamed because I never hit into people, no matter how long the wait. Needless to say, it's dangerous as heck. Do you guys deal with this and, if so, how do you deal with it - in terms of addressing the folks behind you? Some of my playing partners have gotten downright confrontational about it. But, I seem to have outgrown that phase of my life - picking my battles very carefully, only worrying about what really matters. But, I am tempted to stomp a ball into the turf or simply pick it up and keep walking when it lands right behind us. What say you? - Thanks. Edited to add that, usually, I just let the group play through. Sometimes they'll get closer, apologize, then play through.

Edited by HitAndGiggle

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

Well . .most importantly .. you have to play faster.  If you're constantly having groups run up on you and talk smack and hit into you . .then you're playing too slowly.  I don't deal with that because I don't play slowly . .if I'm behind the pace (as I used to frequently be), I'll pick up and advance to the next shot or even the next hole.  

That being said . .I have been hit into once or twice when the entire course was backed up, there was nowhere for our group to go . .and the guys behind us got impatient or whatever.  One time it actually scared me . .it was an errant shot . .I suggested the guy yell "fore" next time.  He told me to screw myself . .that was that.  

I *might* causally step a ball into the ground if I felt it was warranted and it would not be obvious that I was doing it.  I would not pick it up, though . .not looking for a fight.  

But the main thing is . .if it's happening all the time either play faster . .play at some other time when the course is not crowded . . let your kids "tee it up" from 100 yards out, etc.  A lot of courses post the suggested round time . .try to maintain or beat it.  And, of course, keep waiving people through as needed.  

Oh . .and there is never any excuse to hit into another group no matter what the reason . .your course must have a lot of jerks . .I might call the marshal . .but I sure as heck would never hit into anybody on purpose.  

• Upvote 1

After reading the post a couple times I keep coming back to the point that your group is slow. I'm not saying it is right for people to hit into you but you said you only usually let faster groups through meaning there are times you let a faster group languish behind you. 

My advice would be to make your family outings at courses and at times that are not crowded and to always let faster groups through. 

The last time I was hit into was my own fault. I drove my cart out of sight on a blind tee shot instead of staying where they could see me. I handled it by driving back into sight and apologizing. 

I have never picked up someone's ball, hit it back at them, or stomped it in the ground.

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If I am playing with my wife and/or grandkids, we typically play some sort of team game like a 3 or 4-person scramble or two 2-person scrambles.  I don't want anyone to have to play behind us while they all take 5-10 shots each.  If we can't keep up with the group in front, we will just pickup and move forward or allow the faster group through.

No matter how slow a group may be, no one should ever hit into another group intentionally.  If I thought someone was doing that to me, I would call the clubhouse.  If the course won't address the issue, then they are going to give us a refund or lose our business.

• Upvote 2

Brian Kuehn

Well, the reason I ask is the last time this happened, about a month ago, we weren't playing slowly. I should have been more clear. My wife and kid were teeing up, literally, about 250 yards down the fairway. I tee'd off, we hustled down there quickly and as they were putting their tees in the ground the balls starting dropping right behind us. The guys behind us had a clear view of us in the middle of the fairway and surely knew what they were doing. In that case, what do you say to the guys behind you?

Perhaps it's a sign of the times because I see it happening more than I did 20 years ago. I used to play with a real big guy who was a few cards short of a full deck. He'd pick up a ball and march back up the fairway ready to take on the entire group behind us. I can laugh about it...now. Jeff was nuts. I hope he's not in prison.

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

First time I leave the perps ball nice and teed up on a tall tee, if they didn't yell fore. Second time it gets stepped on, firmly. After that the pro shop gets a call

Edited by chilepepper
  • Upvote 1

I honestly can't remember anyone getting hit into more than once in a given round. Usually somebody makes an error in judgement and apologizes profusely. The other guy accepts and goes on with his round. It's hard to imagine the same guy hitting into a group twice in a single round. It would be better if you either let em through and/or call the ranger. Most guys I know would take it personally and have it out with the guy. Happily something I have never seen.

Your first post seemed to indicate that you took your time on the course.  While that's certainly a nice thing, being aware of others and their time is equally nice.  If you find yourself being 'the slow group'... you owe it to those on the course to do what you can to pick up your pace.

That said, I second what @bkuehn1952 suggested.  My daughters (9 and 11) got clubs for Christmas.  I will take them out in the afternoon when the course is at its slowest (about 2 hours before it gets dark)... and we'll play (along with my 16 year old son) a scramble format.  There are kids tees on our course where they'll play from... I'll play from the white tees... my son will play from the red tees... and we'll just select the best shot of the 4 and play from there.  

We've yet to play a nine hole scramble that's taken more than about 90 minutes, walking and goofing off.  On the rare occasion that we've had anybody behind us (within a shot or so distance), we've simply sat down on a bench until they catch us and we've let them play through.  

If anybody were to hit into us, I'd assume it was accidental the first time.  The second time, I'd suggest they play through.  

First, it's a game that's supposed to be relaxing.  No need to ruin it by either rushing or worrying about someone behind you IF you're not moving slowly. 

Second, you don't want to set that kind of example for your son on the golf course by confronting them or stomping on/picking up their balls.  

To me, it's simple enough to move to the side for 5 to 10 minutes and let them play through if you're not in a hurry... and if you are in a hurry... you can always move up a hole to speed up a bit.  

CY

• Upvote 1

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

One additional thought.  Hitting "right behind you" may or may not be hitting "into you".

I play with guys that are a lot longer than I am.  I'll often play before they do because while they're waiting for the group in front to move on, or to clear the green, I know they're out of my range.  If you're on the green, 270 yards away, I'm not afraid at all to hit my approach because I know it's going 225 at best.  A ball dropping in 50 yards short of where you're standing may feel like being hit into, but it's not always the case.  Too many people who have never hit a 250 yard drive in their life, feel the need to wait for the green to clear when they're 275 out for an approach.  

To answer your question though, the small handful of times in my life that I've actually been hit into, simply turning around and spreading my hands in the universal "WTF" sign has been enough to get the point across.

• Upvote 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

34 minutes ago, chilepepper said:

First time I leave the perps ball nice and teed up on a tall tee, if they didn't yell fore. Second time it gets stepped on, firmly. After that the pro shop gets a call

If someone has the gall to hit into me twice, they might have to play or abandon a ball drenched in uric acid. Never been hit into twice so hopefully never comes to that (and kidding, wouldn't want to stoop to their levels). I don't think I've had anyone intentionally hit into me since taking up golf out here. 

OP: I would politely let them know you don't appreciate being hit into or call a Marshall. 

2 hours ago, David in FL said:

One additional thought.  Hitting "right behind you" may or may not be hitting "into you".

I play with guys that are a lot longer than I am.  I'll often play before they do because while they're waiting for the group in front to move on, or to clear the green, I know they're out of my range.  If you're on the green, 270 yards away, I'm not afraid at all to hit my approach because I know it's going 225 at best.  A ball dropping in 50 yards short of where you're standing may feel like being hit into, but it's not always the case.  Too many people who have never hit a 250 yard drive in their life, feel the need to wait for the green to clear when they're 275 out for an approach.  

To answer your question though, the small handful of times in my life that I've actually been hit into, simply turning around and spreading my hands in the universal "WTF" sign has been enough to get the point across.

Thanks, great input. 

I think I should have been clearer in my OP. I have been in groups that have been hit into both when we're lagging and when we really aren't. The point of my question was, "What do you do when people hit into you?" The thing that irked me the last time it happened (when we actually were playing quickly) all of the members of the group behind us tee'd up right into us. Luckily, I smashed my drive so when I was standing by it none of them quite reached where I was, but they had all come very close to us as my wife and kid tee'd off. They were probably just being aholes on purpose. We waited for them quite a while on the next tee to let them play through (we were fast). At a distance we looked like a father, his wife and a little kid. Up close I'm a 6 foot fireplug and their tone was really apologetic. I just told them, "When your furthest tee shot rolled up on my son's heels and asked me if that was his ball and, you know what? - I almost told him that it was and to go ahead and hit it. haha!." I don't think they would have hit into us if it was me and three of my guy friends. It was pretty bad. But, it's never good.

There is also the issue, some point out here, where you are the the longest hitter in your group. This means that by the time you get to hit each of your shots the group behind you is most ticked at you (ironically). Kind of funny...

• 3 weeks later...

It does not happen often for our group as we are  pretty quick in our pace of play. It does happen though in tournaments and the pace of everyone is usually snail like and it takes over 5.5 hours to play that day. People get frustrated and sometimes hit too soon and when a ball comes past us while on the course I don't do anything. But if it happens again I will turn around and stare back at the group. Then tee up the ball if it is in the fairway.  If I am on the green and it happens I would wait near the green short of the next tee and have a nice discussion with the group. Getting upset and calling names or shouting is a really bad thing to do in this instance. i would try to just defuse the situation not inflame it. Something along the lines of hey guys we are playing as fast as we can, but the groups in front of us are holding us up as well.

Note: This thread is 2623 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!