IGNORED

How to Perform a Golf Swing Like a PGA Tour Golfer

DownAndOut
Note: This thread is 2582 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Links help.

But… yeah, Jeff Mann made a lasting impression on me. I'll leave it at that.

The first one seems to be here:

From the description, what, he's just going to keep talking - still - about TGM?

Part 1 - https://youtu.be/rNHIFy4dzIg
Part 2 - https://youtu.be/wJveJDoNzCw
Part 3 - https://youtu.be/lKy6jIdyuSE
Part 4 - https://youtu.be/gsX-o6ZWeOw
Part 5 - https://youtu.be/F-b4cqmFcSg
Part 6 - https://youtu.be/wcl4pNxgl5U
Part 7 - https://youtu.be/MzW3eCrM5KU

No word yet on whether this will replace water boarding as a form of torture…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To be fair, there is quite a lot of  important TGM stuff  that he disagrees with. Imho , its pretty good but will not really help the recreational golfer who isn't concerned with mechanical swing thoughts. A good starting point for golf academics who want to learn more about the nuts and bolts of a full body golf swing.

PS. I think he was banned from Lynn Blakes TGM website because of heated disagreements.

Edited by DownAndOut

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

No word yet on whether this will replace water boarding as a form of torture…

Yeah I found myself skipping through after the first five minutes.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I tried, I really did, but...  :-\

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, DownAndOut said:

To be fair, there is quite a lot of  important TGM stuff  that he disagrees with. Imho , its pretty good but will not really help the recreational golfer who isn't concerned with mechanical swing thoughts. A good starting point for golf academics who want to learn more about the nuts and bolts of a full body golf swing.

PS. I think he was banned from Lynn Blakes TGM website because of heated disagreements.

Jeff has been banned from just about every forum out there. He's belligerent and routinely beyond obnoxious. Often that's paired with being dead wrong about something fairly basic…

I doubt very much that this is "a good starting point for golf academics." The next thing I learn from Jeff will be the first. He was corrected on many things repeatedly, and yet still got them wrong… for years.

TGM is outdated and old. Yeah, even I still use a few of the terms here and there (often among instructors), but as a useful thing… it's outlived its usefulness. Largely because Homer died, to be fair. He'd have likely changed it by this point.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 hours?? He better figure out cold fusion halfway through. 

I cut Jeff out of my life several years ago and haven't looked back. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

29 minutes ago, DownAndOut said:

I saw them all TWICE !!!! 

Wow.  On purpose, or did you lose a bet?!  :-D

• Upvote 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

38 minutes ago, jamo said:

7 hours?? He better figure out cold fusion halfway through. 

This seems like one of those projects that is more for the creator than for anyone who'd ever watch it.

If you're going to make 7 hours of videos, you had better be a lot more skilled at presentation, and you damn well better have a microphone.

- John

From what I have basically gleaned from 15 hours looking at these videos is:

1. Swing intact flying wedges.

while:

2. Swinging On Plane (ie, through mostly different inclined planes) - ensuring the 2 ends of the club trace the base plane line while moving through these different inclined planes

while

3. Rotating in a barrel

plus

4. Learn  to keep the clubface perpendicular to the swing plane for at least a few inches post impact.

A lot of time is spent explaining different golfing terminologies and anatomical positions plus disagreeing with others about various instruction.

In the end the 'how to do it'  is :

1. Using a smartstick or lasers to trace along the base plane line.

2. Two handed slapping motion.

3. Underarm pitching throw action

4. Backhand and 2 handed tennis stroke

5. Lead arm Frisbee throw

6. Skipping a stone

I watched the first video and I quickly picked out something I was doing wrong.  My left wrist does not stay near straight enough through the downswing and finish.  I know for sure im breaking it.  Same with chipping.   I definitely learned something in the first video.  

Edited by PingLuvR

Irons - Ping G410 

Driver - Ping G410

3W - Ping G410

3H - Ping G410 

Putter - Ping Sigma 

11 hours ago, David in FL said:

Wow.  On purpose, or did you lose a bet?!  :-D

I've started viewing the whole lot for a third time (onto video 4 now again). But then the weather in the UK is so crap that there is nothing else to do rather than shiver.

8 hours ago, PingLuvR said:

I watched the first video and I quickly picked out something I was doing wrong.  My left wrist does not stay near straight enough through the downswing and finish.  I know for sure im breaking it.  Same with chipping.   I definitely learned something in the first video.  

Wait until you get to the 'Sam Snead Squat'  move but you may also need to get acquainted with Power Accumulators and Pressure Points which are explained quite well on his website but maybe even better here (by 'The Swing Engineer' - he and Jeff fell out due to some disagreement about Aiming Point).

http://www.theswingengineer.com/power_package.html

Plus, to fully understand his anatomical explanation of the pelvic motion, you may need to read his article below

http://perfectgolfswingreview.net/pelvicrotation.html

Remember that Dr Mann is not a golf teacher who can tell you 'how to' , but I suppose he may be able to advise you  'what to' just using his mechanics/biomechanics  assumptions (IF you think they are correct but no-one can claim 100% certainty).

In parallel with all of this mechanical stuff, I've just read a book by Dr H A Murray (The Golf Secret) written many many years ago and this statement stuck in my head.

"It is because professionals have overlooked the fact that most of the details of the golf swing are subconsciously performed, that they are unable to analyse it accurately or with any degree of unanimity".

Edited by DownAndOut

In video 2,  what are your thoughts on the 2 lasers on a pole he has made?  It seems its a very good way to determine if you are on plane (which I am now).   

BWT,  tonight is my first golf lesson.  Its actually just a video analysis session tonight,  but I am going to purchase a package afterwards.  I am determined to get my swing figured out.  

• Upvote 1

Irons - Ping G410 

Driver - Ping G410

3W - Ping G410

3H - Ping G410 

Putter - Ping Sigma 

21 minutes ago, PingLuvR said:

I am determined to get my swing figured out.  

Good for you, man. It's fun, and rewarding. I'm getting there, and finding it very satisfying. A good set of eyes is so valuable. Good luck.

Wayne

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, PingLuvR said:

In video 2,  what are your thoughts on the 2 lasers on a pole he has made?  It seems its a very good way to determine if you are on plane (which I am now).

The laser thing is kinda pointless.

Imagine at some point in the backswing that my hands are directly over the ball (or the target line), the shaft is completely vertical, and so the laser points at the target line. Is that a good position to be in?

No. Not even close.

But the laser will be pointing at the target line…

@DownAndOut, if you want to learn about the golf swing, there are a thousand better ways to do it than watching that crap. Like… perusing threads here. Asking questions. Poking around the Internet.

23 minutes ago, PingLuvR said:

I am determined to get my swing figured out.

I don't suggest watching videos like that, then. I suggest finding a good instructor to guide you along the path.

Note: This thread is 2582 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!