IGNORED

Golf Sixes - new European Tour short format event

b101
Note: This thread is 2539 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anybody else watching? I have to say that while some of it comes off as just a little gimmicky (the first tee theatrics), it's pretty cool overall. Clearly they're trying to borrow some ideas from other sports to generate excitement, and I think a lot of it works. I hope the PGA Tour considers something like this.

(edited)
1 hour ago, drmevo said:

Anybody else watching? I have to say that while some of it comes off as just a little gimmicky (the first tee theatrics), it's pretty cool overall. Clearly they're trying to borrow some ideas from other sports to generate excitement, and I think a lot of it works. I hope the PGA Tour considers something like this.

Exactly my thoughts - it's a Ryder Cup-lite, but the format is a good one and it's certainly entertaining.

For anyone interested, the European Tour are streaming the Day 1 coverage on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheEuropeanTour/videos/vb.280901855968/10154434869550969/?type=2&theater

Nice touch, IMO

Edited by b101

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Interesting ideas here. I must have missed this thread the first time around.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Just watched the replay from today on the FB link posted earlier. I like the "fun" atmosphere and hearing the player conversations, reminded me of the old skins matches I used to watch with my dad.

Nice to see new ideas being tried, even if some of them are a bit gimmicky and make it feel more like a bowling match. No knock on bowling, just saying, the player/team intros to music and blasts of fog, while entertaining, are a little 'exhibition-y' for me. :content:

It'll be interesting see what sticks in the long run and makes its way into 'normal' tournament play.

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

I have to say i think its embarrassing. The format could have been good but in my opinion some of the the over the top theatrics are just cringeworthy. It just doesnt seem right in golf.

Also the commentary is awful, constantly harping on about how amazing and exiting the new format is and how everyone is just loving it. Ok maybe they are but to keep going on about it every 5 mins..... jeezus.

The nail in the coffin for me is the celebrity commentators. Denis Van Outen being asked how she would play a delicate chip on the last green was TV gold lol

I'm watching this morning for the first time.   The commentators would drive me crazy.  As the Italians beat the British, one announcer that was interviewing the losing British team...."I'm with the losers, the British team..."     As he was interviewing the winning Italians his only comment was about them being the underdog, nothing about them having two birdies and an eagle

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Yeah but everyone is thoroughly enjoying it dont forget, they are all loving it. And the real winner is the game of golf. its just wonderful wonderful wonderful.

Talk about over egging that pudding....just pass me an efin bucket.......

Edited by JodieMudd

Jury is still out.

Greensome format means that they're seldom forced to recover from a bad tee shot, so there's not much in the way of recovery drama.  

Announcers are terrible.  They just had a discussion amongst themselves over the potential benefits of playing the ball off a wrong green vs "taking a drop from the putting surface".  Clearly completely ignorant that the rules mandate relief.

One cute on-course announcer chick is worth watching though, so there may be help for this thing yet.... :-D 

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

This feels a bit like the XFL. I kinda want Jaime Donaldson to have "He Hate Me" on the back of golf shirt or something. 

Shame I can't find any video of these guys getting introduced on the first tee. I'd definitely come out to the Undertaker Theme today. 

Constantine

Alright, the whole WWE thing on the first tee is just annoying.  Even the players look a little embarrassed by the whole thing....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

37 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Alright, the whole WWE thing on the first tee is just annoying.  Even the players look a little embarrassed by the whole thing....

Yea. 

And someone needs to punch that dancing purple mascot. I mean, really? :-D

And while we're at it, it'd be cool if Chris Wood double crossed Andy Sullivan with one of these:

Constantine

Note: This thread is 2539 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!