IGNORED

Play 200

Blackjack Don
Note: This thread is 2576 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So the OP wants me to play 14 200y par 3's and 4 others that could be shorter (but could be as long)?

Not gonna do that. But wait, he wants me also to score four of them as par 5's and 10 of them as par 4's? You bet I'm not gonna do that.  :hmm:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My next time out I'm going to try the +200 route. Play as if I hit the tee shot 200 yards, so a 440 from the back tees would be 220. The only problem with this most courses have a medallion at 200. It's simply a way to practice the second half of golf--after the tee shot. We don't get enough practice on the short game, pitching and putting. While I'm working to get the driver together, I'm gaining experience with the rest of the game. I've got four rounds in now, and it's actually quite a bit of fun. Thanks for the improvement. We'll see.

Best wishes.

Wayne

2 hours ago, Blackjack Don said:

My next time out I'm going to try the +200 route. Play as if I hit the tee shot 200 yards, so a 440 from the back tees would be 220.

2 hours ago, Blackjack Don said:

We don't get enough practice on the short game, pitching and putting.

Most people practice that stuff too much.

I do not know why you do not just play a forward set of tees and hit the longest club you can hit pretty well off the tee.-Tee up a 5-iron and play from the red or forward tees or something. All of this monkeying with yardages is dumb IMO.

• Upvote 1

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

12 minutes ago, Phil McGleno said:

We may have just found the problem with his "distance control"...

:-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

It's a shame there aren't more proper par-3 courses around. Sure you can walk up any hole on a regulation course and score it however you want, but there's something to be said about teeing off from an actual tee box.

As far as practicing the short game goes, my number of putts in the average round would suggest otherwise. Maybe I could just count a 2-putt as soon as I hit the green and call it a hole. That would be a variation for you.

20 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

It's a shame there aren't more proper par-3 courses around. Sure you can walk up any hole on a regulation course and score it however you want, but there's something to be said about teeing off from an actual tee box.

As far as practicing the short game goes, my number of putts in the average round would suggest otherwise. Maybe I could just count a 2-putt as soon as I hit the green and call it a hole. That would be a variation for you.

But then, that would take all the fun out of "thinking out of the box" rant.  (only teasing, Don -keep on doing what works for you).

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

32 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

But then, that would take all the fun out of "thinking out of the box" rant.  (only teasing, Don -keep on doing what works for you).

My buddy tells me he is sometimes guilty of  "Thinking outside the brain"

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Just now, Lihu said:

My buddy tells me he is sometimes guilty of  "Thinking outside the brain"

play "nice" now...

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

3 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

play "nice" now...

Wasn't directing that at anyone, it's just that the phrase "thinking outside the box" makes me think of my friend telling me his version.

Every time I hear the phrase I think of the alternative version. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Nothing wrong with "thinking outside the box". Most really good ideas, that turn into standards, originate from non standard thinking. The golf game is no different. 

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

14 minutes ago, Patch said:

Nothing wrong with "thinking outside the box". Most really good ideas, that turn into standards, originate from non standard thinking. The golf game is no different. 

paradigms are meant to be broken. One of my personal pet peeves is "conventional wisdom" which I consider an oxymoron.

"James"

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, Patch said:

That doesn't mean every idea from "outside the box" is good.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

That doesn't mean every idea from "outside the box" is good.

Yeah, because sometime the also come from outside the... :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

On 2/23/2017 at 10:24 AM, Lihu said:

So, I was playing a slow course (Brookside 1) yesterday afternoon while waiting for my kids, and things moved along okay but suddenly came to a standstill at 13. So, I decided to jump a few holes after finishing 12 and found a single on 16 on the way out. I partnered with him and he asked me when I started and we determined that he started almost 3 hours ahead of me. His other 3 partners just left in a huff just before I joined him because it was so slow. They started at noon and it was almost 5:00pm at the start of 16. Well, I finished up 16 and drove up past 2 more groups to leave the course and found out who was slowing down play on 18. There were two duffers who basically advanced the ball about 20 yards at a time from about the 220 yard mark. In the time I was driving past them along the Rose Bowl path, I could see them hitting the ball three times between the two of them. It was like watching duffy polo ball advancement. I'd guess that they could probably tee off okay, but couldn't hit off the ground at all. They would have been better off just teeing off then walking their ball to the 100 yard marker and play from there.

Also, the two groups that were behind them were smiling to me in a very sympathetic manner as I passed them possibly thinking that I waited the entire day with them and was leaving in a "huff"? :-D

Now, I'm not saying anything about the fact that they were playing a 7000+ yard course and should have played it forward on the shorter course 2 or even the executive at Scholl canyon. I'm not going to say that they should spend more time on the range to get a reasonable swing before playing. Finally, I'm not going to say that if they played from 150 yards on every hole that things would be better.

However, I am going to say that I think this example illustrates what happens if people play in a manner that makes the game more difficult for them. I think the proposal in the OP is one of those ideas that makes for potentially 6 hour rounds.

On 2/24/2017 at 10:05 AM, Lihu said:

The concept of starting off 200 yards from the green doesn't really help a higher handicap with anything.

What makes sense is playing 200 yards from the tee box, that at least works on a reasonable approach game and short game skills as if you drive 200 yards on average. That would give you an idea how you will score once you can drive the ball 200 yards on average.

If you are playing from the correct tees, most courses for us handicap golfers will not leave you an average approach of 200 yards.

How can shortening a course result in slower play?  I fail to grasp your point.  Say that I have a foursome.  One guy is struggling with his driver.  The rest of us tee off and we all head up the fairway.  As we get near our drives, he drops and ball plays.  No time has been lost - in fact, we eliminated one tee shot so we got off the tee as if we were a threesome.  Now the 4 of us play in from 200 yards or wherever our other 3 tee shots ended up, and we move to the next hole.  No time lost, no 6 hour round.  I can't fathom why you would think it any different.

On 2/23/2017 at 10:45 AM, cutchemist42 said:

Yeah sounds like they could. This course doesnt sell it as kids towards but as a quicker 18 with the walking still thrown in.

How much time is spent over all on tee shots (setup, practise swings,looking for tee shot) * 18 holes. 3 mins? 42 mins shaved off then.

Just because they aren't hitting from the "established" tees doesn't mean that they aren't playing a tee shot.  The kids I've played with who move up into the fairway always tee up wherever they start from, so nothing has been saved except the added shots they would have taken playing a longer course.  

However, most people I play with can get off the tee faster than that.  For me, when it's my turn I take about 20 seconds.  We can usually be headed up the fairway in under 2 minutes from the first guy teeing his ball.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

1 minute ago, Fourputt said:

How can shortening a course result in slower play?  I fail to grasp your point.  Say that I have a foursome.  One guy is struggling with his driver.  The rest of us tee of and we all head up the fairway.  As we get near our drives, he drops a ball plays.  No time has been lost - in fact, we eliminated one tee shot so we got off the tee as if we were a threesome.  Now the 4 of us play in from 200 yards or wherever our 3 tee shots ended up, and we move to the next tee.  No time lost, no 6 hour round.  I can't fathom why you would think it any different.

Just because they aren't hitting from the "established" tees doesn't mean that they aren't playing a tee shot.  The kids I've played with who move up into the fairway always tee up wherever they start from, so nothing has been saved except the added shots they would have taken playing a longer course.  

However, most people I play with can get off the tee faster than that.  For me, when it's my turn I take about 20 seconds.  We can usually be headed up the fairway in under 2 minutes from the first guy teeing his ball.

You know what? I assumed that he was hitting off the ground from 200 yards away from the green. My bad. :doh:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

So try playing the hole from 200 feet in. That is also out of the box. But that is an other game than the game of golf.

If you want to shorten the hole, thats ok, play it from the forward tees. But playing a par 5 from 200y? Thats not golf in my book. 

Note: This thread is 2576 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!