IGNORED

Forgiving Irons for an 8 Handicapper

holeinone
Note: This thread is 2605 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am looking for a new set of irons, currently play Mizuno JPX 825 Pros 5-PW. I play off 7.5, with the aim of getting down to 5 by the summer. I find my current irons are a bit weak in terms of loft compared to some iron sets on sale at the moment, I carry a 7 iron about 140 yards. Whilst I don't want a set with extremely strong lofts, I would like to gain a few yards with each iron. Also as I am at university I don't get to play as much as I used to, so am looking for a bit more forgiveness to help me out on the course! Not too fussed with staying with Mizuno, if there are better options elsewhere.

Cheers in advance to any replies.

A good friend of mine (usually in the 5 to 7 handicap range) is using Titleist AP1 irons, the more forgiving of the Titleist line.  You may be able to find these used to save a little money. 

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Lots and lots of good choices out there. I would look at AP2's! Technically a "players iron" but pretty forgiving. The lofts are a bit weaker than the AP1's but they can always be bent to fit your bag.

Ping G irons are great clubs.  Even the newer i200 have a good amount of forgiveness to them.

• Upvote 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I just started playing a set of Srixon Z565. They look good, feel good, and are quite forgiving (at least so far). If you have any way to get your hands on some of those to test out, I highly recommend giving them a shot. 

I am in the same boat right now. Play Mizuno MP-54's and am looking for something with more forgiveness and a little more length.  Have been looking closely at the Apex CF-16.  Callaway also makes a combo set in the Apex line with the Apex Pro-8-P and CF 3-7.  

Also looking at the AP-1/AP-2 mixed set.  

A lot of great options in the marketplace right now. Comes down to how much you want to spend and what hit hit best.  

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! My budget is around £400-500, I was looking at the Callaway XR Pro irons as they seem to have good reviews, or the MP-H5 irons too. The Srixons tick all the boxes for me (without testing them) however they are a bit too expensive!

I've played a lot of clubs. I tell ya, I'm currently playing the Callaway Steelhead XR's and really like them. I also have the CF Apex 16 but those boys are expensive. Someone mentioned Titleist AP-1...a great choice I believe. Lots of options but wanted to mention the Steelheads as they are reasonable in price.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

@holeinone I think you're already in that sweet spot with the JPX 825 Pro, and you're going into either the more forgiving realm (G30, etc) or a less forgiving players iron (AP2, MP, etc).  I think the AP1 would be similar to what you're playing now, and the MP-H5 would maybe be a tad less forgiving.

I'm not trying to talk you out of new sticks, just sharing some thoughts.  Obviously the best thing to do is hit a golf shop or range, and start checking everything out.

Good luck on finding the next set!

My buddy bought Ping i20 3-PW with 60 degree wedge off craigslist for 150 bucks. That is a steal. I personally would never buy new and use Ping Irons since the factory is close by and their customer service is top notch.

Trollin' is the life

I like my TM RSi2's but there are plenty of irons out there to choose from, many great choices already mentioned. 

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

13 hours ago, phillyk said:

Ping G irons are great clubs.  Even the newer i200 have a good amount of forgiveness to them.

Yup.  Can't go wrong with Ping G or I series.  I still love my i20s (and they've been with me from about 10 to the 4's, and hopefully still dropping)

Note: This thread is 2605 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!