IGNORED

Pawn shop Mizuno MP33

Note:Β This thread is 2414 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

The MP-33 is a great set of irons, and $70 is a very good deal if:

• The set has all 8 clubs (3-PW). Β If any clubs are missing, it isn't as good of a deal.
  • All the shafts match. Β Lay the clubs on the counter, in order, with the heads hanging off the edge like this:

irons.jpg.da33686bf87a2d421ad9a7c6504652b3.jpg

This makes it very easy to check several things...if any of the irons have been re-shafted with a different shaft that doesn't match the rest of the set, it will be pretty noticeable. Β All the shaft bands should look similar to the ones in this pic, all the ferrules should be the same, and check the grip end to see if the clubs descend in length properly. Β Any club that has a different ferrule, or if the shaft band doesn't line up with the others, or if the 8 iron is longer than the 7 iron it is either a replacement club or it was re-shafted.

• Check to make sure none of the shafts are bent
  • Don't worry about the condition of the grips. Β Used clubs often need re-gripping, which is no big deal

If everything checks out, it's a very good deal and I'll bet if you made an offer of $50 or $60 they might take it, which would turn it into a smokin' deal. Β If any clubs are missing I would pass (unless it's the 3 iron. 4-PW is acceptable) Β 

• Like 1

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS ProtoΒ 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ originalΒ Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am a sucker for classic clubs.

As Valleygolfer said, I would offer $50. I would be surprised if they didn't take it.Β  Check out thrifts in your area such as Goodwill. You have to look through a lot of junk, but occasionally you find something good, usually for around $3-5 per club.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 SΒ Β Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;Β Β Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts-Β TT AMT Red S300Β ;Β WedgesΒ Vokey SM8Β 56-10DΒ Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5Β Β Ball:Β Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

• 5 months later...
On 3/4/2017 at 7:59 PM, David in FL said:

My firstΒ thoughtΒ is that if you're "rocking" a set of modern game improvement irons, and are still a 20(+)Β handicap, theΒ lastΒ thing I'd encourage you to do is buy a set ofΒ 15ish yearΒ old blades.

Having said that, I remember them being a quality set of blades, appreciated by a couple of low handicap buddies that played them a bunch of years ago. Β Right or wrong, youΒ really can't go wrong for $70...

I'll take the other side of that. When I was trying to learn to improve my ball striking I bought a set of MP-33s. The idea being that blades would force me to find the face more often. I did practice a lot at that time and found the combination really helped.

The MP-33s are fairly forgiving (for blades) and they are not the longest set of irons you'll ever play. I'm thinking of putting them back in the bag!

1 hour ago, Angry Buzzy said:

I'll take the other side of that. When I was trying to learn to improve my ball striking I bought a set of MP-33s. The idea being that blades would force me to find the face more often. I did practice a lot at that time and found the combination really helped.

The MP-33s are fairly forgiving (for blades) and they are not the longest set of irons you'll ever play. I'm thinking of putting them back in the bag!

This is also a valid thought.

It should be noted that a high handicap isn't really swinging that well, and that if you use the hardest to play club versus the easiest you might end up with an increase of at most 3 to 5Β  strokes out of 115 on a tough course. If you chunk the ball or hit it thin its going to roll 100 yards versus 110 yards. So, while I tend to agree that handicap wasn't asked @David in FL 's concern was likely more selfish on another point. He doesn't like waiting for those extra 3 to 5 strokes per round :-D

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Love Mizuno irons

I have a set of Mizuno MP53. I used the hell out of them. Love them.

Planning to get a new set of MP54s soon. May be this time I'll get them fitted.....

$70.00 bucks for Mizuno in "good" shape seems too good to be true. Plus, I wouldn't ever play a blade. But that's just me.

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

On Sunday, March 05, 2017 at 2:13 PM, Lagavulin62 said:

You just had to throw the handicap comment in there didn't you? Please explain your point because he didn't ask for your opinion of him wanting a setΒ of blades. His question had to do with it being a fair deal or not. Glad you at least admit it's a fair price but stop thinking anyone gives a flip about your opinion of who should play certain types of clubs. Good grief, some of you are really beyond belief.Β 

90a20004-9758-4bb7-bcdc-3665739d404d.jpg.f5a2d9212cdbcc015aa4e7f82c5f4d67.jpg

I will say that $70 for a set of mp33 is fantastic, if they are in decent shape. I am on my third ser since college and have tried many different types, manufactures, and shaft combos and always end up going back to my old set up... that being said I will agree with David that they can make the game tough as a higher hadicapperΒ (I am speaking as a fellow higher handicapper, no judgement here).Β 

On β€Ž9β€Ž/β€Ž6β€Ž/β€Ž2017 at 8:10 PM, mp33man said:
90a20004-9758-4bb7-bcdc-3665739d404d.jpg.f5a2d9212cdbcc015aa4e7f82c5f4d67.jpg

I will say that $70 for a set of mp33 is fantastic, if they are in decent shape. I am on my third ser since college and have tried many different types, manufactures, and shaft combos and always end up going back to my old set up... that being said I will agree with David that they can make the game tough as a higher hadicapperΒ (I am speaking as a fellow higher handicapper, no judgement here).Β 

Hilarious!Β  I've used MP33s for the last 15 years.Β  Occasionally will change putter, driver, etc. but will never change my irons.Β  Ever.Β  The feel is unmatched.

In a way they are the ultimate game improvement clubs... If you don't hit it flush you know about it, not just because of the feel, but because of the sound of the strike as well.

I just re-shafted mine myself and changed out the original DG S300 shafts (which were rusting) for XP95s with sensicore inserts.Β  Also paint-filled the heads.Β  Loving the ball flight and all of the feel with less harshness.Β  They will never leave my bag.Β 

Β 

3 hours ago, IrishAndy said:

Hilarious!Β  I've used MP33s for the last 15 years.Β  Occasionally will change putter, driver, etc. but will never change my irons.Β  Ever.Β  The feel is unmatched.

In a way they are the ultimate game improvement clubs... If you don't hit it flush you know about it, not just because of the feel, but because of the sound of the strike as well.

I just re-shafted mine myself and changed out the original DG S300 shafts (which were rusting) for XP95s with sensicore inserts.Β  Also paint-filled the heads.Β  Loving the ball flight and all of the feel with less harshness.Β  They will never leave my bag.Β 

Β 

You can get the same "feel"/feedback and more forgiveness with the modern models... just FYI. Β I liked the MP-33, they were great irons (and I'd pick up a pair for nostalgic reasons). Β But I wouldn't put them in play over my current MP-25 or an MP-5

30 minutes ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

You can get the same "feel"/feedback and more forgiveness with the modern models... just FYI. Β I liked the MP-33, they were great irons (and I'd pick up a pair for nostalgic reasons). Β But I wouldn't put them in play over my current MP-25 or an MP-5

Yeah, they continue to make beautiful clubs and they probably make sense for most, but not quite for me.Β  I'll try demo clubs from my course occasionally, but I just haven't loved anything as much.Β  It's definitely horses for courses, but the forgiveness angle has never quite worked out for me in practice.Β  When I miss on the course it's typically not, say, a slight toe shot (that will look like a 10 yard draw with the MP33s, even though you probably hit it square) - it's generally a push or a hook, and no modern club is saving that, or making a big difference to the outcome.Β  It's counter-intuitive and is probably not what works for 99% of people, but when I'm holding one of those blades it forces me to concentrate, and it affects my focus, and thus how well I swing.

Β 

Severe Tangent coming: I tried two Titleist 816 hybrids yesterday, both 23*.Β  The only difference was the shafts.Β  One was a Diamana Blue Board in R flex and the other was a White Board in S.

I hit the R flex beautifully.Β  Loved it.Β  Beautiful flight, and controlled like no R flex I've ever tried.Β  Then I tried the White... impossibly stiff for my current 'learner mode' swing.Β  So much so I wasn't even going to hit it at first.Β  First few shots were low and right.Β  Not horrible, but not like the other club at all.Β  I couldn't activate the shaft with my current power.Β  Then something that seems to happen to me with clubs happened.Β  I reacted to the club.Β  I started swinging with a controlled aggressiveness that has been missing from my swing since I got back into golf.Β  Straight, penetrating shots with about 10 yards more carry.Β  Not because the shaft made a difference with a 'ceteris paribus' swing, but because it changed how I swung.Β  Immediately bought the demo club and took it straight out on the course.Β  Took it off the tee on a short, narrow par 4 and nutted it down the center of the fairway leaving me a wedge into the green.

Β 

If there's a point (which there probably isn't) is that I very much react to the clubs that I'm hitting, including how they look.Β  What gives many other people confidence makes me sloppy and careless.Β  There's definitely an emotional/feel element which makes me the furthest thing from an objective tester.Β  Weird, but it seems to be how it works.

2 hours ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

I should have also stated, the MP-33 may not even be conforming (grooves) anymore considering they are over 15 years old

Β 

1 hour ago, IrishAndy said:

Yeah, they continue to make beautiful clubs and they probably make sense for most, but not quite for me.Β  I'll try demo clubs from my course occasionally, but I just haven't loved anything as much.Β  It's definitely horses for courses, but the forgiveness angle has never quite worked out for me in practice.Β  When I miss on the course it's typically not, say, a slight toe shot (that will look like a 10 yard draw with the MP33s, even though you probably hit it square) - it's generally a push or a hook, and no modern club is saving that, or making a big difference to the outcome.Β  It's counter-intuitive and is probably not what works for 99% of people, but when I'm holding one of those blades it forces me to concentrate, and it affects my focus, and thus how well I swing.

If there's a point (which there probably isn't) is that I very much react to the clubs that I'm hitting, including how they look.Β  What gives many other people confidence makes me sloppy and careless.Β  There's definitely an emotional/feel element which makes me the furthest thing from an objective tester.Β  Weird, but it seems to be how it works.

Yea, if they are clubs you want to play, then play them (assuming you're not playing in any official games, where conformity matters). Β I didn't mean to imply otherwise. Β Was just sharing that the feel/feedback, ball flight, etc. also exists with the newer irons as well (within the same category anyway), along with a tad more forgiveness. Β I agree, terrible swings result in terrible shots (usually) regardless of the club

2 minutes ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

I should have also stated, the MP-33 may not even be conforming (grooves) anymore considering they are over 15 years old

Β 

Yea, if they are clubs you want to play, then play them (assuming you're not playing in any official games, where conformity matters). Β I didn't mean to imply otherwise. Β Was just sharing that the feel/feedback, ball flight, etc. also exists with the newer irons as well (within the same category anyway), along with a tad more forgiveness. Β I agree, terrible swings result in terrible shots (usually) regardless of the club

No issues with tournament golf here, thankfully (or regretfully - still thinking about that!)

I really do play for the sheer joy of it, so I'll probably play these puppies for a long, long time. Β It's about the sights, sounds and smells for me as much as anything else... and competing against myself vs. anyone else. Β Best game in the world. Β Now my wife has got into the game and my young son has taken an interest in it, it adds a whole new dimension.

There are definitely great feeling new clubs out there and Mizuno are still top of the tree for me. Β If they were ever to be replaced they'd be with Mizunos.

Β 

Β 

2 hours ago, IrishAndy said:

No issues with tournament golf here, thankfully (or regretfully - still thinking about that!)

I really do play for the sheer joy of it, so I'll probably play these puppies for a long, long time. Β It's about the sights, sounds and smells for me as much as anything else... and competing against myself vs. anyone else. Β Best game in the world. Β Now my wife has got into the game and my young son has taken an interest in it, it adds a whole new dimension.

There are definitely great feeling new clubs out there and Mizuno are still top of the tree for me. Β If they were ever to be replaced they'd be with Mizunos.

FYI everyone...irons made prior to 2010 are actually conforming for amateur play until 2024. Β They cannot be used on Tour, or in "elite" amateur events (U.S. Amateur, British Amateur and other similar tournaments), but for local events or your club championship for example these clubs can be legally used for almost 7 more years.

• Upvote 1

Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

At the end of the day, @Anjew, play what you want to play. Sure both sides of the handicap argument are valid. They may make it less enjoyable initially due to forgivness but they may help you to inprove in the long run.

Its all "horses for courses". If we all used the clubs that we are told to use for our "skill level", then golf would be pretty boring. Its allΒ  about trying different things, thats part of the joy of golf. If you buy them and like them then its a bargain, if they are a load of :poo:Β then its only $70.

Β 

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-(Β 

In the bag: Driver:Β Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

17 hours ago, 1badbadger said:

Β 

FYI everyone...irons made prior to 2010 are actually conforming for amateur play until 2024. Β They cannot be used on Tour, or in "elite" amateur events (U.S. Amateur, British Amateur and other similar tournaments), but for local events or your club championship for example these clubs can be legally used for almost 7 more years.

Yea, I impliedΒ without being as specific... "(assuming you're not playing in any official games, where conformity matters)"

To further your FYI statement with specifics,Β the groove conformity is based on the grooves themselves, and not the year the clubs were manufactured. Β Clubs producedΒ before 2010 just happen to be much more likely to be produced with non-conforming grooves. Β And I believe there also exceptions (didn't Ping sue to have some of their old legacy irons (maybe the Eye) to be accepted as conforming?).

Yea, I impliedΒ without being as specific... "(assuming you're not playing in any official games, where conformity matters)"

To further your FYI statement with specifics,Β the groove conformity is based on the grooves themselves, and not the year the clubs were manufactured. Β Clubs producedΒ before 2010 just happen to be much more likely to be produced with non-conforming grooves. Β And I believe there also exceptions (didn't Ping sue to have some of their old legacy irons (maybe the Eye) to be accepted as conforming?).

According to the USGA:
"It is important to remember that most clubs in production prior to Jan. 1, 2010 were designed to comply with a different set of groove and punch mark specifications. Clubs that conformed to the rules that were in effect prior to Jan. 1, 2010 will continue to conform to the Rules of Golf until at least 2024, unless the Condition is in effect."

As far as if Ping Eye 2 conform:

"Yes, they have been grandfathered under USGA Rules. When playing in Europe or Asia and other regions not under the jurisdiction of the USGA, please contactΒ The R&A. Β However, please check the conditions of competition for your event to ensure compliance (e.g., Ping Eye2 irons with square grooves that were manufactured prior to April 1990 are not permitted for play at all phases of the U.S. Open, U.S. Senior Open and U.S. Women’s Open Championships)."

Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

On 9/12/2017 at 1:09 AM, 1badbadger said:

Β 

Β 

On 9/12/2017 at 7:18 PM, Denny Bang Bang said:

From the USGA database:

mp33.jpg.4232589a4eae83396a0d2eb19a331f6f.jpg

Play on. Β They conform.Β :-)

Craig
What's in the :ogio: SilencerΒ bag (on the :clicgear:Β cart)
Driver: :callaway:Β Razr Fit 10.5Β° Β 
5 Wood: :tmade:Β Burner Β 
Hybrid: :cobra:Β Baffler DWSΒ 20Β°
Irons: :ping:Β G400Β 
Wedge:Β :ping:Β Glide 2.0Β 54Β° ES grindΒ 
Putter: :heavyputter:Β  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,Β Β :bushnell:Β Tour V4

For anyone who was interested in what happened I did end up biting the bullet and have been really happy with the results. I have only played a few rounds with them (and haven't really had a lot of opportunities to golf at all for a while) but they are fantastic clubs. Nice high ball flight, and when they are struck right, you know it. I have been really happy with them, and they have been in my bag since purchasing them.Β 

I will just say that, unless you have some collectible other clubs in the bag with the irons, it's unlikely they'll sell for more than what shipping would cost you. Old golf clubs aren't the hottest sellers with the exception of some collector's items/models.

Note:Β This thread is 2414 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!