IGNORED

Hacker James Backyard Practice Net (and Accoutrements)

Note: This thread is 1950 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That looks sweet!

I've been thinking of using part of my garage as an indoor practice area.  If I do, I need to get a Trackman or something.  Without that, I'd just be beating balls into a net.  Need the feedback.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

8 hours ago, Hacker James said:

set up spots?  not really and I have found that filming my swing is not all that beneficial (to me), as I seem to be too aware of the camera. I might film a swing from time to time if I am having a particular problem to see just what it is.  I realize that I am just not going to get any better with age, just trying to maintain and have fun. The netting was purchased on line as were the 3 way corners. The pvc was from Home depot, and I attached castor wheels. The front bottom is removable. The reason I posted this photo was for comparison purposes from months and months ago. The turf was purchased from Home depot and measures 53 ft x 16 feet. Most of the labor was in preparation, removing existing grass, digging, leveling, compacting, raking over and over (did not use a sub base as you are supposed to, but the existing dirt compacted fairly well and has withstood several rain storms).  There is also about 3,000 pounds of rock laid in on the edge. It was a fun project.

This looks great!  Did you do it yourself or did you have it done?

I would love to do something like this but wouldn't know where to begin and I don't think my gf would be too happy with me if I did, haha.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Looks great - but why did you lay in the artificial turf?  Just curious . .you can't hit off it, can you?  Nice job on the turf . .that's a lot of hard work, for sure. 

(edited)

Well, actually you can, but not the reason I laid it. I mainly did it for asthetic purposes of the lawn which consisted mostly of weeds, and nasty Bermuda. I have hit off it with no ill effects, but it is not really "tight" enough as say the Real Feel Golf mat. As you can see, I have a stand-on "Monster Mat" which is nearly as good as the Real Feel.

12 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

Looks great - but why did you lay in the artificial turf?  Just curious . .you can't hit off it, can you?  Nice job on the turf . .that's a lot of hard work, for sure. 

12 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

This looks great!  Did you do it yourself or did you have it done?

I would love to do something like this but wouldn't know where to begin and I don't think my gf would be too happy with me if I did, haha.

I did it myself, there is plenty of instruction online, and the site "Purchase Green" has a video you can download.  Home Depot does as well. I purchased the turf from Home Depot. They charge $37.20 a linear foot and it comes in 15 foot widths.

phase_2_001.JPG

13 hours ago, vangator said:

That looks sweet!

I've been thinking of using part of my garage as an indoor practice area.  If I do, I need to get a Trackman or something.  Without that, I'd just be beating balls into a net.  Need the feedback.

There has been a lot of posts regarding using a net or cage, both pro and con. I believe its mostly subjective. Any practice should be done with purpose in my opinion. The cage gives me a little more room without fear of going over and therefore I can go at it. Also the full ten to fifteen feet allows a view of some trajectory. Trackman would be expensive, but there are other less expensive swing speed monitors available for under $100.  Then there are the computer set ups for indoors that are not all that expensive. check ebay.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

On 12/8/2015 at 4:01 PM, Hacker James said:

set up spots?  not really and I have found that filming my swing is not all that beneficial (to me), as I seem to be too aware of the camera. I might film a swing from time to time if I am having a particular problem to see just what it is.  I realize that I am just not going to get any better with age, just trying to maintain and have fun.

I have older students that get better all the time-No harm if you do not want to but do not make excuses for yourself.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

• 1 month later...
(edited)

here are some recent mods I made to this practice area. I only have a small area to work with, so I have to squeeze as much out of as I can. Plane Station, Side Markers, Pitching tee, e.t.c.

Edited by iacas
embedded videos
  • Like 1

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• 8 months later...
(edited)

I ran across this from a photo archive. I do not remember whatever happened to it, but I should have kept it (along with a few other whimsical notions at the time);

There is actually a tee'd up ball . Hard to see because of the angle and it blends into the tee box marker. The strip of plusher artificial grass simulates the feel of real turf. Not bad for ten minutes work. The markers are Christmas tree ornaments and are stuck into holes drilled into the hard mat and plywood.

chip n pitch station.jpg

early impact panel.jpg

older swing.jpg     This screen was soon ripped to shreds! I guess it needed very flexible or longer tethers.

I don't know how old this swing is, but although does not look too bad, was very much OTT.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

(edited)
6 hours ago, Slowcelica said:

What size pvc is your frame made out?

oh this old one?  it is actually  small diameter (3/4 ?)EMT. The cage that I have now, is made from 1 1/2 inch Gray sked 40 PVC (see older thread "Improved Practice Area". (Dec 8 2015) The EMT was my first effort, it is okay for something lightweight, but a bit flimsy and the 90 degree fittings (held in place by set screws) don't hold well. For the base as shown, I think I used 1 inch large radius 90 deg PVC fittings. I had to wrap the EMT with several turns of friction tape to increase the diameter so it would hold. Simple "L" base,

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

If  you are referring to the frame shown where I am swinging. That was also made from 1 1/2 inch PVC in a sort of Half Octagon Base. I have photos some place, but no longer have the instructions. People liked that one at the time and I received a few requests for plans.

"James"

@Slowcelica. I found these: 

hitting target.jpg

octaganal golf frame.jpg

"James"

(edited)
1 hour ago, Slowcelica said:

Cool, I'm about to build a full cage practice area so I can hit real balls. How does the pvc hold up to direct hits?

Well, with the gray pvc, no problems so far. I did manage to break a small section on the older (Octagonal) one, but it was easy to replace just the broken section). I am told the white PVC can get brittle easier than the gray. Also if you are going full cage, the 3-way fittings are hard to find. I went on-line to find some. Home Depot lists them as furniture grade pvc fittings, but not available in stores.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

3 hours ago, Slowcelica said:

When you say gray pvc do you mean conduit? I was planning on using schedule 40 pvc, I'll post some pictures up when I get it done.

Its still sked 40 I believe (not sure now). It may be called conduit though, the ten foot sections have a bell shape at one end which I cut off.

"James"

On 10/28/2016 at 3:39 PM, Hacker James said:

Its still sked 40 I believe (not sure now). It may be called conduit though, the ten foot sections have a bell shape at one end which I cut off.

Yep thats called schedule 40 conduit.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-1-2-in-x-10-ft-PVC-Schedule-40-Conduit-67488/100140678

Which probably holds up better because it is rated to be installed in sunlight, where white is not. I imagine if the white was painted it would hold up just as good.

Edited by Slowcelica

7 hours ago, Slowcelica said:

Yep thats called schedule 40 conduit.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-1-2-in-x-10-ft-PVC-Schedule-40-Conduit-67488/100140678

Which probably holds up better because it is rated to be installed in sunlight, where white is not. I imagine if the white was painted it would hold up just as good.

Yep, I agree. Get some Dupont  Krylon Acrylic spray or maybe some of that stuff on TV that sprays on a rubber finish? 

"James"

Note: This thread is 1950 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!